• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
There are several members who are facing issues related to later in life.

Seniors have a lot of concerns, from workforce discrimination, ageism in healthcare, loneliness, isolation, reduced income, increased medical expenses, lack of advocacy, as well as declining health/mobility and mental health challenges.

Suicidality in seniors may be from lifelong struggles or from new life challenges.

Maybe we can share our struggles and successes and find emotional support and coping mechanisms.

Please share your thoughts and stories. Maybe we don't need to be so alone in facing our struggles.

NemoZeno

NemoZeno

Quae Est Absurdum
Nov 6, 2018
Sorry, not in your demographic but hey, not like I'm bringing the plauge if chime in.

I can't even give begin to guess the number of suicidal who are 55+ but I'm loosely confident they are a minority (<30%) due to my myopic view how anyone that old can go on is baffling to me assuming suicidality is was with this person several years before they reached 55.

I guess humans really are good at existing through the worst...

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
Sorry, not in your demographic but hey, not like I'm bringing the plauge if chime in.

I can't even give begin to guess the number of suicidal who are 55+ but I'm loosely confident they are a minority (<30%) due to my myopic view how anyone that old can go on is baffling to me assuming suicidality is was with this person several years before they reached 55.

I guess humans really are good at existing through the worst...
Your assumption is a big one. For many, though, you may be right. The issues facing older people may be different than those younger. And, as you imply, aren't sufficiently represented.

We may be here due to loss of loved ones, connections, health, etc.

Those who were suicidal when they were young but never acted on it or never received help, may find that the coping skills that worked when they were younger may be insufficient at this time.

been_there

been_there

Life cares only for itself.
Jun 5, 2019
Hi WaterUnder. There are few gestures with us old folk, which is why when we ctb we generally succeed. Plus we're more self contained, and don't want to bother others. Meanwhile, age discrimination is rife, support is sporadic, loneliness a big problem, health is no longer a guarantee, pride is too necessary and previous passions can become hollow.

Doing is replaced by thinking, which should be welcomed by society, but isn't. I see people who should be wise tribe elders reduced to demeaning bullshit existences. I won't disrespect the youngsters here, as pain is pain, whatever the age, but some are taking things far too hard. I suppose we have the advantage of being more used to the crap in the world.

Regrets are the difficult one, as is responsibilty to family. I manage by trying not to care as best as possible, but that in itself is tough. On good days, reading does it for me. I can only suggest live day to day, know you can go when you like and appreciate the days you don't think about either of those.

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
Nice to meet you @been_there!

Much of what you said is spot on. Our perception of how we deal with "the crap in the world" differs. It's not something I can get used to, finding it deeply disturbing for not only the present society in concern for future residents of Earth.

Regrets? Yes, sometimes in ways that surprise me.

It's obligation which has been keeping me here. It's a real struggle. In so many ways, I am ready to move on, and then the compassion I feel for vulnerable, marginalized relatives kicks in and, well, I just live in torment. (So much for "wiser").

The impertinence of youth is humbled by the degradation of our powerlessness in the face aging.

been_there

been_there

Jun 5, 2019
Nice to meet you too, despite the circumstances. Lets cut to the chase. World's fucked. But you don't really notice for a few decades, which is both the arrogance of youth and life's biological selfishness. I mean, it really is fucked. Humanity is up shit creek not only without a paddle, but without even the notion that it need one. Our species is, I fear, doomed to be little more than an anomaly of chance.

Being the worrying kind is the curse. Look at all those non-thinkers. IMHO obligation and compassion are as good reasons as any for living, better tbh. I find absurdity helps too (any port in a storm), which seems to be the last refuge of survivors.

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
@Superfluous @wanttodie @marcusuk63 @Brokenmom

Please join the conversation
I wish I could contribute, but I'm not quite there yet. I can relate though so will follow with interest.
It's a loose guideline. Please feel free to share your thoughts.
I'm not there yet either, but don't tell anyone.
You're banned. J/k! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
World's fucked. But you don't really notice for a few decades,
That was not my experience.
You're the second person recently to reference absurdity to me. Maybe that's the secret.

I used to have a wonderful sense of humor. Now, if I can only remember where I placed it.
Calling: @Cleopatra123 @Bluedew @Lobo64

And the Youngsters by special invitation:
@Swoods @Johnnythefox @Norest4thewicked @Kryok @OpheliasFlowers @Superfluous
And a special invitation to the oldest person on the planet (at 1,691,666,667 years ): @Weeping Garbage Can
Also, I don't know many people here, so if you know someone who ought to be tagged, please include them. I don't want anyone to feel they were overlooked or ignored.
Feel free to join in:
@Maxim @kels @johnonymous @Asta (?) @SinisterKid @Strangeasangels @Roadkill @Marawa

Last edited:
been_there

been_there

Jun 5, 2019
@marcusuk63 from the posts ive seen. cos you're a good guy. cos you're organised. cos you're thoughtful.

Right, have been spreading far too much drunken positivity round here tonight, am off before I get banned.

Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
Not sure how this post is going to turn out. I've got a few thoughts I just wanted to express and they may just turn out to be random, but I hope I can bring at least some of it together towards the end.

Firstly, I should probably say that I am British, originally from the north of England.

So, when I was younger, I always looked up to my elders and considered them mature. Now I'm around their age, I don't feel I have that same level of maturity, at least not in the same way. My body has aged, but mentally I don't feel any more mature than I was 20 years ago. I'm sure (or at least hope) I am, and maybe it's just a general inability to perceive small changes over short time periods.

Sort of linked to this is the respect that the older generation were given in my day, which seems almost non-existent nowadays.

Next a rambling of sorts about technology. During my youth, we didn't have mobile phones or the Internet. If we wanted to meet up, we prearranged it and we turned up. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits of the advancement of technology - I made a career out of it, albeit in the corporate sector with business systems. And the invention of the mobile phone was fantastic - originally. Big chunky phones that only needed to be charged once a week and had an alarm clock built in, so no need to try and program those in the hotel, and the ability to contact people faster.

Then, as technology improved, they started getting smaller, which was great as they still had the same battery life, just made them easier to carry around. And then someone decided to put a camera on them. Then, with the Internet and email, they added Internet connectivity. Battery life reduced because people still wanted the same small form factor, and the only component that could be reduced in size was the battery.

Then came social media. Whilst I've never used it personally, again I can see the benefits for families and friends to keep in touch, especially as the world has become bigger. But with the invention of the touchscreen (or maybe a bit before) came the social media apps for phones. Now the screens needed to be bigger, so phones started growing in size. But people also wanted portability, so they needed to be thin, which meant less battery life again.

Now, here's the bit that really confused me. Battery life reduced to below a working day, but rather than the manufacturers making the phones a bit thicker allowing for larger batteries, along came the battery pack. So people wanted their phones to look slim and therefore cool, but were happy to also carry around a small brick and a cable to charge their phones during the day.

I think that was just a rant. Sorry.

So, with mobile phones as they are today, the younger generation (and many of the older generation too where I am currently) spend all their time staring at their phones: walking down the street, on public transport, groups of friends and even couples at restaurants. What happened to conversation? Interaction? I sometimes wonder if couples are actually communicating with each other over their phones whilst across the table from each other.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've got to an age where I feel like I don't belong any more. I don't fit in. And I struggle to accept what society has become, and find it difficult to adjust.

I have many other issues, but at least I got that off my chest.

The next bit is off topic...

@been_there I can't post on your profile, but thanks for that link on how to be a good psychotic. My favourite bit was:

If you're male DON'T have a beard and look like Jesus (even if you are Jesus)
Also, I thought your avatar was a clanger until I checked :pfff:

SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
Firstly, I should probably say that I am British, originally from the north of England.

I knew I liked you for a reason Super, there it is. :wink:

I am older than the hills. I am so old I was around when Jesus was a lad. Maybe it just feels that way because I am so old or maybe I am so old it just feels that way? :wink: and yes, I have a sight defect and my left eye behaves very much like that little smilie thingamebob!!

You are never alone when I am around, I never stfu most of the time. I ramble and rant most of the time and most of it is totally irrelevant. But it is good to connect with a few others who share my old age and swap a few yarns et etc.

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
Look at that oldster organisation. Love it. Is it fucked that this website is cheering me up tonight?[/QUOTE

Glad you're cheered. It'll be good if we can help one another and not feel so alone. Let's see if it takes off at all.
You are never alone when I am around, I never stfu most of the time. I ramble and rant most of the time and most of it is totally irrelevant. But it is good to connect with a few others who share my old age and swap a few yarns et etc.
Glad to meet you. How'd you pick the moniker, "SinisterKid"? From your name I'd imagined you to be, well, younger. :haha: Looking forward to your rants and rambles.

Last edited:
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
Sinister Kid is a song by a duo called the Black Keys, who I only got into after one of their songs was used on a advert. That track resonated with me, so I thought, yeah, why not.

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
Gotcha @SinisterKid
What's you're story?
I'm struggling with a burden of responsibilities that I feel unable to handle and yet the compassion to want to try. And although my health is stable atm, there's a lot of difficulties ahead.

S

stbdchick

Jun 17, 2019
Those who were suicidal when they were young but never acted on it or never received help, may find that the coping skills that worked when they were younger may be insufficient at this time.

I was suicidal in my 30s, got past it, went on.

A few years ago, my daughter died. I was already several years into disability, which is getting much, much worse. I'm pretty close to nursing home admission.

So yeah, stuff now is a helluva lot worse than when I was suicidal before. There is literally no hope as my body is broken beyond repair.

I can't even fantasize about what might be, as I literally can't do much of anything anymore. When the brain fog hits, I can't even use my computer very well (not that I could *ever* type!)

SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
I am sure you will get to know me and my story as we plod along in this thread or on the forums. Nothing special, just another depressed guy. Came looking for some advice after a couple of "failed" attempts.

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
A few years ago, my daughter died. I was already several years into disability, which is getting much, much worse. I'm pretty close to nursing home admission. . . . .

Wow. So, so sorry about your daughter. With debilitating health issues on top of that, I understand your situation a little better.

Now, I do believe that your life still has value and that being in a nursing facility you can still have meaningful impact upon the lives of people around you.

In trying to put myself in your shoes, it makes me sad that there aren't more self-directed end of life options for people facing end of life issues. This is why I love the pro-choice stance of this website.

We ought to be able to preserve our dignity and have the peace of knowing our final moments will be serene, to know that what's left of our worldly possessions will be given to whom we wish and not a nursing home.

The indignity of having everything that we worked for and all that makes us, "us" stripped away by strangers to whom we become a commodity. It's utterly dehumanizing.

I wish I had better answers for you. All I can do is offer my friendship.

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
I spent 5 weeks in "rehab" which was a nursing home, so I already know that is unacceptable to me.

Also, once there, you're kinda trapped.
True. They don't let you out until your insurance runs out. If the health insurance runs out, they'll oust you whether you can survive on your own or not.
Sort of linked to this is the respect that the older generation were given in my day, which seems almost non-existent nowadays.
Do you feel as if you're/we're perceived as being "in the way"?

What happened to conversation? Interaction? I sometimes wonder if couples are actually communicating with each other over their phones whilst across the table from each other.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've got to an age where I feel like I don't belong any more. I don't fit in. And I struggle to accept what society has become, and find it difficult to adjust.

Lol. Yeah, totally an "old person thing to say". It bothers me, though, that people are oblivious to their surroundings much of the time. It bothers me that they research and configure phones and apps to be addictive. It bothers me that people take photos of food instead of one another.

Last edited:
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Pushing mid 50's, tired of all the bullshit of existence, redundancy pushed me over the edge. I gave up looking for another job, working only for the sake of it, I'd be lucky to see another 15 years let alone retirement.
The UK's a shite hole, and it's only going to get worse for the many, while the few continue on their merry way. I have many other reasons but I covered them already on here.

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
Pushing mid 50's, tired of all the bullshit of existence, redundancy pushed me over the edge. . . .
I have many other reasons but I covered them already on here.
Feel free to repeat here, if you wish. Not only am I not going to look up your old posts, but I'd probably forgotten them, b/c of age.

I'm u/e, hoping to find work.

Feel like a stiff wind could push me over to the dead side, while part of me is hanging on for family and pets.

Reactions: DeadHead
A

Aliaiactaest

Student
Jun 7, 2019
Thanks for this thread and I would even propose that a special chat room be set up for older folks. The age limit does not have to be set at old as 55. Maybe just older folks, however you want to define it, so to differentiate from all the real young people here.
I'm 58, pushing 59. Getting divorced for a second time. Feeling under financial pressure and without real purpose. Unlike what seems to be the case with many of the younger members here, I don't feel like a loser in life, although I'm not feeling good about myself right now. Looking back to my childhood, I've probably accomplished everything I hoped to have accomplished. I've married; had kids; enjoyed academic success; enjoyed business success. I've had my day in the sun. But life has its ups and downs and right now I'm in a downer. Like I said, financial pressure, a second divorce are tops of the list. My mom passed away last year and I feel very isolated. I do have my friends, but everyone has their own problems to deal with. I'm feeling purposeless and redundant. Even if I do turn myself around financially, for what? The best I can hope for is to sell my house, which would alleviate some of my financial pressures, and move back into the city where I could be closer to friends and my daughter. But at my age, I don't really see getting into another relationship--in theory, anything is possible, I suppose. I've watched my parents age, wither and die and it's not fun. My dad had a good old age, even though he was losing his senses, because he had my mom to take care of him. My mom had to be taken care of by caretakers, but at least I was there to watch over her. I don't want to grow old all alone with no one to care for me.

Last edited:
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
Not sure how this post is going to turn out. I've got a few thoughts I just wanted to express and they may just turn out to be random, but I hope I can bring at least some of it together towards the end.

So, when I was younger, I always looked up to my elders and considered them mature. Now I'm around their age, I don't feel I have that same level of maturity, at least not in the same way. My body has aged, but mentally I don't feel any more mature than I was 20 years ago. I'm sure (or at least hope) I am, and maybe it's just a general inability to perceive small changes over short time periods.

Next a rambling of sorts about technology. During my youth, we didn't have mobile phones or the Internet. If we wanted to meet up, we prearranged it and we turned up. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits of the advancement of technology - I made a career out of it, albeit in the corporate sector with business systems. And the invention of the mobile phone was fantastic - originally. Big chunky phones that only needed to be charged once a week and had an alarm clock built in, so no need to try and program those in the hotel, and the ability to contact people faster.

Then, as technology improved, they started getting smaller, which was great as they still had the same battery life, just made them easier to carry around. And then someone decided to put a camera on them. Then, with the Internet and email, they added Internet connectivity. Battery life reduced because people still wanted the same small form factor, and the only component that could be reduced in size was the battery.

Then came social media. Whilst I've never used it personally, again I can see the benefits for families and friends to keep in touch, especially as the world has become bigger. But with the invention of the touchscreen (or maybe a bit before) came the social media apps for phones. Now the screens needed to be bigger, so phones started growing in size. But people also wanted portability, so they needed to be thin, which meant less battery life again.

Now, here's the bit that really confused me. Battery life reduced to below a working day, but rather than the manufacturers making the phones a bit thicker allowing for larger batteries, along came the battery pack. So people wanted their phones to look slim and therefore cool, but were happy to also carry around a small brick and a cable to charge their phones during the day.

I think that was just a rant. Sorry.

So, with mobile phones as they are today, the younger generation (and many of the older generation too where I am currently) spend all their time staring at their phones: walking down the street, on public transport, groups of friends and even couples at restaurants. What happened to conversation? Interaction? I sometimes wonder if couples are actually communicating with each other over their phones whilst across the table from each other.

I have many other issues, but at least I got that off my chest.

The next bit is off topic...

@been_there I can't post on your profile, but thanks for that link on how to be a good psychotic. My favourite bit was:

Also, I thought your avatar was a clanger until I checked :pfff:

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
First of all I agree with the minimum age thing, but I set it based on the life insurance commercials, "If you're between the ages of 55 to 85, you're entitled to quality term life insurance". It was not my intention to be exclusionary so much as not insult the "OmfG, I just turned 50" crowd.

I've watched my parents age, wither and die and it's not fun. My dad had a good old age, even though he was losing his senses, because he had my mom to take care of him. My mom had to be taken care of by caretakers, but at least I was there to watch over her. I don't want to grow old all alone with no one to care for me.

Thanks for sharing your story. Especially relatable is the above quote. We buried my father several years ago. My mother is enjoying relatively good health for her age, but her mental health is declining and she is running out of resources. I do not feel capable of taking care of her and losing her is more than losing my mother, it's losing my history, my connections, and my memories, even my identity in a sense.

I don't want to grow old all alone either, not without children or anyone else to pass the days with.