Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Any particular reason that you believe one should try out available options? (I've been asking this to everyone who posits this worldview to understand the range of underlying beliefs propelling it. Helps understand more about what the statement actually means.)

Because, with as many reasons as we can all come up with for suicide, in almost every case, the reason at the root of it all is to make the pain stop.

For a lot of people (maybe most), the pain can stopped and they can be "fixed" to go on to lead happy lives they're satisfied with, that they prefer to being dead. Basically, if there's still a reasonable chance at a happy or satisfying or meaningful life, that should be pursued. Suicide is the option that precludes all others, and the option that is never anyone's ideal solution anyway, so it should only be used as the option of last resort.

Reactions: Lennox and RM5998
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
For a lot of people (maybe most), the pain can stopped and they can be "fixed" to go on to lead happy lives they're satisfied with, that they prefer to being dead. Basically, if there's still a reasonable chance at a happy or satisfying or meaningful life, that should be pursued. Suicide is the option that precludes all others, and the option that is never anyone's ideal solution anyway, so it should only be used as the option of last resort.
Doesn't that feel... majoritarian? (I can't think of a better word now...) You're acknowledging that the worldview only accounts for a subset of the population (the majority view, yes, but not all of it) but still attempts to generalise the idea. While that is not in and of itself problematic, it often seems to end up promoting the idea that a person needs to 'justify' their decision to commit suicide - to make it generally understandable, and to a large extent, unquestionable - which is what the last bit of what you said struck me as. (If I've misread you there, I'm extremely sorry.)

Reactions: 262653 and Baskol1

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Oh yeah, but radical honesty doesn't always end up well, unfortunately. Sometimes the only way to pass the gaping chasm is to cross the bridge, The Keep Your Fucking Mouth Shut Bridge. Or think of a door you want to open, but honesty doesn't fit into the keyhole.

Sometimes in order to get what you want you have give them what they want.

I don't even want to bother explaining shit in a suicide note. Some say the best way to introduce a controversial idea to rigid and stubborn people is to present it as a joke...

Reactions: OnlyMercy and Baskol1
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
(If I've misread you there, I'm extremely sorry.)

I think so. I said "should", not "must". If someone decides to kill themselves because it's Monday, or they have a hangnail, or whatever other relatively trivial reason, that's their right. Doesn't mean it's a good idea, though.

(My avatar is the ancap flag, FYI - people have the right to do absolutely anything that doesn't infringe the rights of another person, regardless of what anyone else thinks, or what violent, immoral thugs calling themselves government say about it.)

Doesn't that feel... majoritarian? (I can't think of a better word now...) You're acknowledging that the worldview only accounts for a subset of the population

That applies to literally everything. There is absolutely nothing that every single person agrees on, so, yes, any view only applies to a subset of people.

While that is not in and of itself problematic, it often seems to end up promoting the idea that a person needs to 'justify' their decision to commit suicide - to make it generally understandable, and to a large extent, unquestionable - which is what the last bit of what you said struck me as.

Nah, not what I was saying at all. Just like it's better to have $1000 than $1, it's better to be happy than dead. Anyone has the right to decide differently, and no one has to justify or explain their decision, but that wasn't the question. The question was what people *should* do, which is a question of which option is better (or less bad) than the others.

OnlyMercy

OnlyMercy

No More
Oct 23, 2018
I'm stubbornly open about my intention to commit suicide with family members. The only response I seem to generate these days from them is "don't start with that bullshit" - It's either this or they completely ignore any topic related to death.

Reactions: DetachedDreamer97
CURSED again

CURSED again

please help
Aug 15, 2019
YES - I got told not to talk about it that i will only drive a wedge into the relationship. I'm 64 & all this crap has been going on the last 2 years. I practically begged the couple of people i know close to understand. THEY DONT at all. All i got for my troubles was sneakily involuntarily sanctioned and now i cannot get a gun as a result and the meds screwed me up in several ways and now feel even more suicidal. Since their bodies are still doing ok and they are not super depressed with alot of ailments, problems, etc. i'm just expected to lump it all and spend all my time going to countless doctors and just spend every second feeling terrible for years to come. WHAT kind of alleged LOVE is that. I keep telling them "your not in my body" you dont know how i feel. And the stigma is horrible - it sort of leaked out that i tried and i get weird vibes etc (makes me feel like a leper) -its all a nightmare. I rarely see most people now. The sympathy goes to the person that had me sectioned: my significant other. People dont know zilch about this subject - go have him (me) locked up without his consent for several days and make him take a bunch of meds that screw up his body. Then being worse with the meds i had to for weeks cite reference material and argue about all the damn side effects including the PSSD. Big pharma doesn't care how they screw you up & science that shows placebo meds better in the long run than their drugs were never published and/or stamped down.

If you get very depressed because of a problem or ailments then even your own body starts making your life miserable: insomnia, gi issues from stress, diabetes, etc. etc. I never dreamt i would wind up like this. People just want everyone to act like everything is fine all the time. If i were younger i would do euthanasia reform, etc. I was so naive i didn't even know suicide was illegal where i am. Your treated like a criminal (or worse) here. There needs to be a nationwide movement for people to be able to own their own bodies. I had never thought about it in the past but NOW i feel like a total SLAVE to society and government - its absurd.