GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
  • Yay!
Reactions: HadItAll, PurpleParadigm, loopdaloop and 1 other person
howl pendragon

howl pendragon

What matters is you, and not the state of you.
May 1, 2023
I partially agree with the arguments that @FuneralCry presented.

I, particularly, am against the act for people under 25, precisely because of the logic presented by @HopefulSleep earlier, and I'm so sorry for everything you're going through btw. Before that age, scientifically speaking, the brain is not yet fully developed. Hormones, which are the main "fuel" of human emotions, still cannot travel properly through the body and brain, and everything is much more intense. It is the time in life that, ideally, people make mistakes. It's the time when you should be able to do your crazy things in peace, and grow up.

But, we do not live in an ideal society. In an ideal society, rather than talking about whether the method should be accessible to young people, we should be talking about supporting them so they have a safe space to mature and develop. We shoulkd be talking about how young people suffer, about how children are invalidated and abused from an early age, about the discourse that spanking children and punishing them when they do wrong is the best form of parenting.

In that world, instead of simply invalidating the suffering and saying "you are too young to decide what is best for you", we could ask "wait a little longer, just so you can be sure this is what you want, and in the meantime, we can offer X, Y and Z to support you". We would treat young people with the respect any living being deserves.

But again, it is not an ideal society that we live in. So how are we going to debate a minimum age, if there is no minimum age to feel pain? If there is no minimum age for physical, psychological and verbal abuse? If there is no minimum age for us to suffer with narcissistic parents, with toxic parents, with bullying in schools, with gender and sexuality prejudice, with racism? By doing so, are we not part of the problem?

Reactions: PurpleParadigm and Unwr!tten
Unwr!tten

Unwr!tten

Saltier than SN
Apr 10, 2023
I partially agree with the arguments that @FuneralCry presented.

I, particularly, am against the act for people under 25, precisely because of the logic presented by @HopefulSleep earlier, and I'm so sorry for everything you're going through btw. Before that age, scientifically speaking, the brain is not yet fully developed. Hormones, which are the main "fuel" of human emotions, still cannot travel properly through the body and brain, and everything is much more intense. It is the time in life that, ideally, people make mistakes. It's the time when you should be able to do your crazy things in peace, and grow up.

But, we do not live in an ideal society. In an ideal society, rather than talking about whether the method should be accessible to young people, we should be talking about supporting them so they have a safe space to mature and develop. We shoulkd be talking about how young people suffer, about how children are invalidated and abused from an early age, about the discourse that spanking children and punishing them when they do wrong is the best form of parenting.

In that world, instead of simply invalidating the suffering and saying "you are too young to decide what is best for you", we could ask "wait a little longer, just so you can be sure this is what you want, and in the meantime, we can offer X, Y and Z to support you". We would treat young people with the respect any living being deserves.

But again, it is not an ideal society that we live in. So how are we going to debate a minimum age, if there is no minimum age to feel pain? If there is no minimum age for physical, psychological and verbal abuse? If there is no minimum age for us to suffer with narcissistic parents, with toxic parents, with bullying in schools, with gender and sexuality prejudice, with racism? By doing so, are we not part of the problem?
I love this take, it's so middle ground, and well spoken. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: howl pendragon