H

Hoid

Nov 1, 2018
I'm absolutely devastated. Was honest with my psychiatrist about how bad I'm feeling, was literally crying throughout the phone call and he was laughing at me because he said I wasn't that upset at the beginning of the phone call and that I should just "let go" of my past.
I even told him I wanted to ctb and he didn't even sound bothered. Mind you, it was approach 5pm. He probably had his dinner to get to.

Really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately there are a lot of people in the field of Psychiatry who have no business practicing medicine. That was really unprofessional behavior and if you feel like it, it might be worth contacting the relevant licensing boards to file a complaint. If this psychiatrist is part of a larger hospital organization, they usually have patient relations departments that you can contact as well. It might not result in any disciplinary action on it's own, unless there have been previous complaints against this doctor, but at least it will be documented.

MrAsclepius

MrAsclepius

Грустная Сука
Jul 31, 2020
Get a new one.

• Love
Reactions: madbananas
Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
I'm so sorry you endured that kind of unprofessionalism. My psychiatrist blamed me for a sexual assault that happened by another doctor. I cried for two hours in my car in their parking lot afterwards until I was okay to drive. I can imagine the devastation was very similar. I suggest getting someone else that will listen and take you seriously. Nobody deserves to be laughed at, especially during such a vulnerable time. Again, I'm so sorry ♡

• Hugs
Reactions: WearyWanderer and FriendofDeath
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
Sounds like my psychiatrist, except it's a she, I've read few others before making similar complaints against their psychiatrist. We are easy targets because it's all in our heads.
100% agree. And I'm sorry you can relate. Hugs :hug: :heart:

I

inflammed123

Student
Sep 9, 2020
I'm absolutely devastated. Was honest with my psychiatrist about how bad I'm feeling, was literally crying throughout the phone call and he was laughing at me because he said I wasn't that upset at the beginning of the phone call and that I should just "let go" of my past.
I even told him I wanted to ctb and he didn't even sound bothered. Mind you, it was approach 5pm. He probably had his dinner to get to.
just change psychiatrist. fuck him, don't enrich him anymore. sending hugs :heart: :heart:

• Love
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
That's appalling. I also had a horrendous experience with a psychiatrist, and now I've lost faith in them altogether, I'm too afraid of having a similar experience to try it again. Fuck that guy.

• Love
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
The response from the psychiatrist sounds apathetic and not in line with how he is supposed to behave. Part of the profession of psychiatry requires an individual to be attentive to their patients emotions and needs; while also being reasonable and calm in order to diffuse tense situations. How he acted was neither calm - you do not laugh at someone in distress as this will only make their situation worse, and it was not empathetic either.

• Love
spider2020

spider2020

Sep 20, 2020
Not a psych: a psychopath, a person with no empathy whatsoever.

• Love
Reactions: madbananas and FriendofDeath
T

tidalwxves

Student
Sep 8, 2020
Do you see a therapist as well? In my experience psychiatrists can be very necessary in terms of medications and diagnosis but often have an awful bedside manner. I'm sorry to hear about your experience, I hope you know you are taken seriously here

• Love
spider2020

spider2020

Sep 20, 2020
I'm absolutely devastated. Was honest with my psychiatrist about how bad I'm feeling,
Nowadays we have choices, thanks to the internet, at least for psychotherapy. I'm in contact with an association of chronic pain sufferers and they gave me 8 (yes eight) online free psychotetapeutical sessions for free (yes, free) with a young but experienced psychologist. Experience in the sense that all his patients suffer from chronic pain. Before someone asks, I should say that I'm talking about a non - english association, but I have no doghuts that the Internet may offer a broader range of professional: there's no much difference between an online videocall and a real visit: the patient's body is untouched. No prescriptions can be provided for legal reasons but at least some "hints" even about pharmacological solutions could be offered and retold during the "physical" visit (withouth mentioning "who" suggested that drug or the other, or changes in dosage).

The coronaviruses gave an impulse to make online consultation equvalent or almost eqyivalent to a real physical visit, which is a great thing for those like me for whom moving and waiti. g standing or sitting means useless suffering.

There are lots of doctors that chose to study medicine, realize too late that they hate physical contact with patients and have no empathy at all, so decided to become psychiatrists to avoid physical contacts al all costs.

• Hugs
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
Do you see a therapist as well? In my experience psychiatrists can be very necessary in terms of medications and diagnosis but often have an awful bedside manner. I'm sorry to hear about your experience, I hope you know you are taken seriously here
Thanks :hug: . I've just had enough to be honest. I'm not on medication because it doesn't help me unless I just want to become numb to being completely dumped all over by people haha. My waiting list for therapy is literally years but I shouldn't have too long left now. I just feel completely hopeless about my future. I can function practically as a human being but not socially apparently. People like yourself on here are the only comfort I get while actually being myself :heart::hug:
The response from the psychiatrist sounds apathetic and not in line with how he is supposed to behave. Part of the profession of psychiatry requires an individual to be attentive to their patients emotions and needs; while also being reasonable and calm in order to diffuse tense situations. How he acted was neither calm - you do not laugh at someone in distress as this will only make their situation worse, and it was not empathetic either.
Thank you. Sadly with my BPD diagnosis I am the one who gets made out to be in the wrong. This makes me think I'm always in the wrong even when in this situation I'm actually in the right and not overreacting.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tidalwxves
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
Find a new one. A therapist once told me that I was a weirdo. She sounded as if she was making fun of me. I waited till the session was over and never saw her again. Therapists shouldn't make fun of their patients. It's unprofessional.

Last edited:
  • Love
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
Find a new one. A therapist once told me that I was a weirdo and I got angry and never see her again. You shouldn't see a therapist who mocks.
Thank you. He actually tried to phone me the next day but I was genuinely too busy. I'm still not intending on contacting him again. I don't want to be involved with psychiatry at all (sadly). I don't want a label that diagnoses me as completely "wrong" and that I'm basically diseased as a person after experiencing what I've experienced in my life. I just wish I either didn't have to be diagnosed with anything at all as they are literally labels which don't even give me access to any help anyway because resources are so horrid in my area.

• Love
Reactions: TimeToBiteTheDust
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
Thank you. He actually tried to phone me the next day but I was genuinely too busy. I'm still not intending on contacting him again. I don't want to be involved with psychiatry at all (sadly). I don't want a label that diagnoses me as completely "wrong" and that I'm basically diseased as a person after experiencing what I've experienced in my life. I just wish I either didn't have to be diagnosed with anything at all as they are literally labels which don't even give me access to any help anyway because resources are so horrid in my area.
I understand. I would feel very angry if I pay someone to laugh at me. Those things shouldn't happen and hope he learns from his mistake and be more professional.

• Love
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
I understand. I would feel very angry if I pay someone to laugh at me. Those things shouldn't happen and hope he learns from his mistake and be more professional.
Thank you, me too :hug:

• Love
Reactions: TimeToBiteTheDust
TheSomebody

TheSomebody

Sep 28, 2020
I would explain to him how shitty of a profssional he is for acting like that.
I don't hesitate to say what I think when people do wrong with me and i think everyone should do the same.

• Love
Reactions: madbananas and TimeToBiteTheDust