wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Arcanist
Oct 14, 2023
not intending this to come across in a critical way, I know it's hard to convey tone over text. But I am a vegan and I find it hard to understand why others aren't. I know not everyone can eat 100% plant based but for those who can, and can avoid animal products, I'm curious as to why they don't

Reactions: jar-baby
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm simply not a fan of wiping out 99% of my favorite foods from my diet. Meat and dairy also just tastes better.

Reactions: rozeske, Praestat_Mori and derpyderpins
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Easy! I just don't want to be one. I don't want to eliminate a large portion of the foods I enjoy. Along with that, certain vegan alternatives usually call for things that I'm allergic to, like nuts. While I wouldn't mind cutting down a bit on my meat consumption, I don't want to stop eating meat and animal products.

Reactions: rozeske and Praestat_Mori
wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Arcanist
Oct 14, 2023
I get that it's hard to give up a lot of different foods you enjoy, and that eating plant based can be more challenging if you have a nut allergy - but does the suffering/ slaughter of the animals not bother you? or is it something that bothers you but giving up those foods feels too overwhelming?

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I get that it's hard to give up a lot of different foods you enjoy, and that eating plant based can be more challenging if you have a nut allergy - but does the suffering/ slaughter of the animals not bother you? or is it something that bothers you but giving up those foods feels too overwhelming?
Suffering is something that's inevitable in life. Along with that, me being vegan isn't going to magically stop other animals from being mistreated. I personally don't really want to have cut out a large portion of foods from my diet when it probably wouldn't even do shit to change anything anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Downdraft, Dr Iron Arc, rozeske and 2 others
mrpeter

mrpeter

Experienced
Jun 11, 2024
the animal is already dead so idgaf you can't hurt somethings thats already dead

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
Suffering is something that's inevitable in life. Along with that, me being vegan isn't going to magically stop other animals from being mistreated. I personally don't really want to have cut out a large portion of foods from my diet when it probably wouldn't even do shit to change anything anyway.
Same.

Reactions: Downdraft, rozeske, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
I was a strict vegetarian, although not vegan, for over a decade. I get your concern about the suffering of animals. That was my concern also. I was vegetarian for religious reasons. Karma, reincarnation, and all that. (I don't currently believe in these things.)

After I left that phase of my life, I became less strict. I got tired of always checking ingredients and rejecting food offered to me. I suppose I have also become less idealistic about it. I don't feel that changing my diet actually and practically reduces the harm done animals. If I chose to not eat a burger, a cow will still be killed.

EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
I hate food. I'd never eat again if I didn't have to. I don't need to make my life more miserable than it already is in that department~ >_< It should also be noted that I exclusively drink milk, and salami and co-jack cheese comprise like 50% of everything I've eaten in my entire life.

Last edited:
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Food is the only thing that gives me pleasure and joy these days and the majority of that isn't vegan. I've also noticed when I deprive myself of it for long, it seriously makes me more suicidal, like seriously, and there isn't much wiggle room for the intensity of my suicidality right now but vegan food does that to me.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I like all kinds of food and I also don't wanna make my life more difficult by restricting my diet than it already is. A balanced (and healthy) diet is the best imo. I second what @Dr Iron Arc @EvisceratedJester @Myforevercharlie @_AllCatsAreGrey_ @rozeske already said.

but does the suffering/ slaughter of the animals not bother you?
I don't want to derail the thread but this is a serious question and so far, I never got a satisfying answer from a vegan.

Do vegans who have pets - like cats and dogs (and other animals that mainly eat meat) - think that the meat (the animals) that have to be slaughtered for the food of their pets don't have to suffer?

An answer like "cats and dogs can't be vegan by nature" isn't satisfying bc most of these animals are produced and raised to be sold to and kept by people.

Reactions: EvisceratedJester, Dr Iron Arc and rozeske
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I've been vegetarian for a few years now. For me, it's mostly lazyness if I'm honest to not go fully vegan. I don't have a particularly good diet. If I cut out milk and eggs, I think I'd end up just not really bothering with protein.

How do you manage- may I ask? What do you eat for protein? Do you cook and spend time preparing meals? Would you say you were healthy? I'm sure you can be. I just think it takes more effort.

I've definitely noticed certain things. I got headaches a lot until I started taking iron supplements. I've just ended up taking a lot of supplements to be honest. Not healthy but, seems better than not taking them at all.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
but does the suffering/ slaughter of the animals not bother you? or is it something that bothers you but giving up those foods feels too overwhelming?
It genuinely doesn't bother me at all but then again I'm an evil person anyway. Food just happens to taste better to me if someone or something involved suffered along the way. I've had Impossible or Beyond meat before but while they taste alright, I honestly found them even tastier when combining them with meat.

Downdraft

Downdraft

I've felt better ngl
Feb 6, 2024
Maybe the simple fact I don't want to:

• Expose myself to illnesses from lack of meat
  • Expose myself to higher risk of depression
  • Pay more for shittier food
  • Deviate welfare discussions from improving farms instead of outright abolishing them
  • Crops use animal products in virtually every case, so even if the diet wasn't so flawed you still contribute nothing.
You can read here about that. Skip the philosophical part tho, it's strawmen and overall utter BS. The rest is pretty good.

I'm openly against veganism and don't hide from it. Not only it brings nothing to the table, iy's bad for your health and has a serious enough chance to fuck your body up irreversibly.