• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

J

joeschmo

Feb 25, 2024
Excellent, thanks!

One more question.....Would it be best if I create a new thread for my setup? Or do you think it would be more useful if I include it in this thread?
If I remember correctly I think GasMonkey created a thread just for ppl who want to post their end results. Not sure what it was called again. I am sure @tearsinrain remembers. But you can also post it here, I think here is where I will post mine. But it's all up to you.

Reactions: rigbone
rigbone

rigbone

Apr 7, 2024
Rigbone Setup
Building a Nitrogen SCBA in the U.S.

This post will focus on the parts of my setup that are U.S. specific, or where I had a deviation of any kind from GasMonkey's setup, which I used as the basis for my setup.
Most of the information I got from either this thread or the "Exit bag and inert gas megathread".

Many thank to @tearsinrain for past posts and for their answers to my questions.

Parts
  • Nitrogen cylinder
    • 80 cubic feet
      • This is over 2000 liters of Nitrogen. Perhaps overkill but I wanted to play it safe.​
    • Water volume: 942 Cubic Inches - 15.4 ltrs​
    • 2200 psi​
    • Female CGA-580 connector​
  • Dräger PAS Lite – 2216 PSI - PN 4046190
  • Western Enterprises#830, PKGD: Adaptor CGA-580-346
    • This adapter has a male CGA-580 to plug into the tank, and a male CGA-346 to plug into the PAS Lite.​
  • Dräger FPS 7000 P EPDM Mask - PN : (Small) R56249 ; (Medium) R56200 ; (Large) R56300
    • I ordered the large size (R56300)​
    • The LDV on the PAS Lite plugs into this facemask​
  • Dräger 30-minute 2216 PSI Aluminum - PN 4054856 (OPTIONAL)
    • This is an air cylinder that I plan on using for exit rehearsal.​
    • Male CGA-346 connector​
    • The PAS Lite connects to this tank directly (no adapter) as the pank and the PAS Lite both use CGA-346 connectors​
Tools
  • 1 1/8 in. wrench
    • Used to secure the CGA-580 connection between the adapter and the cylinder.
Photos
Note: I wanted to post more pictures, but the site maxed out at 8 attachments.

All parts shown in front view. (4054856 - air tank not shown).

Cylinder connection (female CGA-580)

Western Enterprises#830, PKGD: Adaptor CGA-580-346

Cylinder, CGA-580/CGA-346, and 1st stage regulator of PAS Lite assembled.

Second stage regulator of PAS Lite (LDV) connected to Facemask (PN: R56300)

Pressure gauge coming from the 1st stage of PAS Lite

Attachments

• 1714951331243.png
    1714951331243.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1714951597835.png
    1714951597835.png
    762.8 KB · Views: 0
J

joeschmo

Feb 25, 2024
Rigbone Setup

This post will focus on the parts of my setup that are U.S. specific, or where I had a deviation of any kind from GasMonkey's setup, which I used as the basis for my setup.
Most of the information I got from either this thread or the "Exit bag and inert gas megathread".

Many thank to @tearsinrain for past posts and for their answers to my questions.

Parts
  • Nitrogen cylinder
    • 80 cubic feet
      • This is over 2000 liters of Nitrogen. Perhaps overkill but I wanted to play it safe.​
    • 2200 psi​
    • This adapter has a male CGA-580 to plug into the tank, and a male CGA-346 to plug into the PAS Lite.​
  • Dräger FPS 7000 P EPDM Mask - PN : (Small) R56249 ; (Medium) R56200 ; (Large) R56300
    • The PAS Lite connects to this tank directly (no adapter) as the pank and the PAS Lite both use CGA-346 connectors​
Tools
  • 1 1/8 in. wrench
Photos

View attachment 138411

View attachment 138409

View attachment 138412

View attachment 138413

View attachment 138414

View attachment 138415
Yooo your adapter looks completely different from mine. Thank goodness you posted your end result.
Edit: I see where I went wrong. I originally had the other PAS Lite model and naturally assumed that one end needed to be female. Now that I have the correct PAS Lite model it makes sense that both ends need to be male 😮‍💨.

Question (1): how difficult was it to get the nitrogen tank? Did they ask any questions? Did you have a backup story ready?
Question (2): what purity is your nitrogen tank? And how did you make sure that it actually has the purity you wanted? I remember @GasMonkey used a tool to measure the purity.

Attachments

• IMG_6209.png
    IMG_6209.png
    643.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: rigbone
rigbone

rigbone

Apr 7, 2024
Yooo your adapter looks completely different from mine. Thank goodness you posted your end result.
Edit: I see where I went wrong. I originally had the other PAS Lite model and naturally assumed that one end needed to be female. Now that I have the correct PAS Lite model it makes sense that both ends need to be male 😮‍💨.

Question (1): how difficult was it to get the nitrogen tank? Did they ask any questions? Did you have a backup story ready?
Question (2): what purity is your nitrogen tank? And how did you make sure that it actually has the purity you wanted? I remember @GasMonkey used a tool to measure the purity.
  1. I actually had no questions at all.Idk if I can post names, but I can tell you it was the only nationwide vendor that would even talk to me.
  2. They had various grades of pure gasses. The research grade stuff was too expensive but they have an "Ultra High Purity" grade that is more reasonable and guarantees %99.999 purity.

I have purchased the same testing gear that GasMonkey has but didn't include that yet because I haven't yet figured out how to use it, and I ran out of pics I could upload. I can post an addendum here once I get a bead on using it. I'm moving a bit slow right now though. I had surgery today on one of the many failing joints in my body. If you search for "CY-12C" on youtube there are guides on how to use the device to test air from a cylinder. I am using these as my guide.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeschmo
rigbone

rigbone

Apr 7, 2024
Is it supposed to be permanently open and flow constantly? I thought the positive pressure one's were only supposed to provide nitrogen whenever you actually inhale (i.e. no inhale no flow)?
On my setup, There is always some gas being emitted. When it's on my face, it's just a slight flow, but if you take the mask off with the LDV still attached, you will get a gush if you don't press the button on the top of the LDV (blue in my case).

When the mask is on my face and I inhale the flow responds accordingly and rises to meet demand.

rigbone

rigbone

Apr 7, 2024
  1. I actually had no questions at all.Idk if I can post names, but I can tell you it was the only nationwide vendor that would even talk to me.
  2. They had various grades of pure gasses. The research grade stuff was too expensive but they have an "Ultra High Purity" grade that is more reasonable and guarantees %99.999 purity.

I have purchased the same testing gear that GasMonkey has but didn't include that yet because I haven't yet figured out how to use it, and I ran out of pics I could upload. I can post an addendum here once I get a bead on using it. I'm moving a bit slow right now though. I had surgery today on one of the many failing joints in my body. If you search for "CY-12C" on youtube there are guides on how to use the device to test air from a cylinder. I am using these as my guide.
As I start to setup the testing equipment, and was adjusting the flowrate so as not to damage the meter (will post), I just realized I'm not sure if I am supposed to open the nitrogen cylinder valve all the way or not when I execute the exit procedure. I remember reading about the bag method and that you should limit the flow rate coming from the tank, but as the SCBA gear is expecting a load of 2216psi, and will be handling the pressure to the mask, should I just open the valve on the nitrogen cylinder all the way?

I'm sure I just haven't found this in the forum yet, but my guess is that the nitrogen valve should be open all the way.

J

joeschmo

Feb 25, 2024
On my setup, There is always some gas being emitted. When it's on my face, it's just a slight flow, but if you take the mask off with the LDV still attached, you will get a gush if you don't press the button on the top of the LDV (blue in my case).

When the mask is on my face and I inhale the flow responds accordingly and rises to meet demand.
Oh I see, that makes sense.

I been waiting 4 weeks for the PAS Lite to arrive, is that approximately how long it took you to receive yours as well??
They said the PAS Lite is "made to order" and therefore needs at least 4 weeks, but I am starting to feel as if they are trying to scam me, that's why I wanted to see how long it took for you to get yours.

rigbone

rigbone

Apr 7, 2024
Oh I see, that makes sense.

I been waiting 4 weeks for the PAS Lite to arrive, is that approximately how long it took you to receive yours as well??
They said the PAS Lite is "made to order" and therefore needs at least 4 weeks, but I am starting to feel as if they are trying to scam me, that's why I wanted to see how long it took for you to get yours.
The 4046190 (US version) came in less than a week. When I accidently ordered the 3358743 (European version), they said it would be 4-6 weeks.

I guess they have to special order the European version. Just make sure you ordered the US version.

Maybe it could be that they ran out of stock of the US version? Idk.
As I start to setup the testing equipment, and was adjusting the flowrate so as not to damage the meter (will post), I just realized I'm not sure if I am supposed to open the nitrogen cylinder valve all the way or not when I execute the exit procedure. I remember reading about the bag method and that you should limit the flow rate coming from the tank, but as the SCBA gear is expecting a load of 2216psi, and will be handling the pressure to the mask, should I just open the valve on the nitrogen cylinder all the way?

I'm sure I just haven't found this in the forum yet, but my guess is that the nitrogen valve should be open all the way.
Edit: Looking back at GasMonkey's posts regarding the steps in the exit procedure, they don't specify a specific flow rate from the cylinder. So I would think that you open the cylinder valve all the way.

Last edited:
rigbone

rigbone

Apr 7, 2024
Rigbone Setup

Parts
  • Nitrogen cylinder
    • 80 cubic feet
    • 2200 psi​
Tools
  • 1 1/8 in. wrench
Photos

View attachment 138411

View attachment 138409

View attachment 138412

View attachment 138413

View attachment 138414

View attachment 138415

Addendum: Gas Testing

I already had an an Olsen CO2/Argon regulator/flow restrictor, so I jury rigged an ugly hack of tube adapters to connect to the CY-12C oxygen analyzer.

Here we see some 1/4in vinyl tubing coming from the 1/4in barb on the regulator. This goes into a 1/4in to 3/16 barb adapter, which then goes into some 3/16 vinyl tubing. You can see the regulator has a flow rate indicator and a knob to control the flow rate. After assuring a good seal between the regulator and the tank, and making sure the flow rate knob is all the way off, open up the tank valve all the way. If you have to pause this procedure, be sure to shut off the flow valve so you don't fill the room up with Nitrogen.

Next I calibrated the analyzer. I set it to 50% since I want to calibrate for the percentage of oxygen in breathable air from the room (21%). Give the bulb a few squeezes to bring some air over the sensor and twist the small dial to get as close to 21% as possible.

Now we hook up the line coming from the regulator and adjust the flow rate knob to about 5L/min. We can see that the analyzer bottoms out at 0.1% (the minimal resolution for the 50% setting). It may take a while to settle.

Now we switch the selector to 5%. This will give us a minimum resolution of 0.01%. Now we can see there is no more than 0.01% of oxygen in the line. Shut off the tank valve and let the line bleed before turning the flow rate knob back to 0. You should now safely be able to remove the regulator.

Attachments

• 1715189456982.png
    1715189456982.png
    927.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • Yay!
Georg

Georg

Experienced
Feb 25, 2023
Does anybody from the active Users in this thread have a source for SCBA mask + LDV that ships to germany for me? Pls dm.🙏

forced2live

forced2live

Forced2live
Aug 15, 2022
Can I come to your house and die using your equipment?
Please I want to come to your house and die using your equipment. I'll get my tourist visa and come to your location for quick and painless death

J

joeschmo

Feb 25, 2024
Hey @Tears in Rain and @rigbone, are you guys still around? Just checking in. If you are, I just want to say you guys have been amazing help, thank you so much.

I should be out within the next 3-4 weeks, still waiting on the adapter, it's 4 days past it's delivery date and was told those parts don't get ordered often, so longer than expected wait time. I am skipping the O2 tester completely, I figure so long as I make sure there is no leak I should be fine.

Hey @rigbone, where did you order your adapter from? I ask just in case the parts I ordered take even longer than they already do, perhaps your seller ships faster.

rigbone

rigbone

Apr 7, 2024
Hey @Tears in Rain and @rigbone, are you guys still around? Just checking in. If you are, I just want to say you guys have been amazing help, thank you so much.

I should be out within the next 3-4 weeks, still waiting on the adapter, it's 4 days past it's delivery date and was told those parts don't get ordered often, so longer than expected wait time. I am skipping the O2 tester completely, I figure so long as I make sure there is no leak I should be fine.

Hey @rigbone, where did you order your adapter from? I ask just in case the parts I ordered take even longer than they already do, perhaps your seller ships faster.
Howdy,

Yup still around. I haven't yet set a date to ctb. It's depending on how my health is doing in the coming year.

Your'e very welcome, but it was the dialog that you and @tearsinrain had that pointed me in the right direction, and filled in a lot of blanks for me. I greatly appreciate that.

I got my adapter from Amazon.

I

iloverachel

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2024
I wish you a peaceful journey friend
the set up looks insane