Do you enjoy competing with others over a scarce resource like money, a mate, or "top dog" status?

• Yes

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 95.7%

• Total voters
Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
You know what I mean.
I do not.
There is different terms for what humans and animals do because humans are still above most animal species.
"Humans and other animals". They are not above any other species.
Speciesism is one of the reasons why I do not wish to exist in this world. Or this world to exist... Or both.

Midnight

Midnight

Beyond solace
Jun 30, 2018
I suck at competing irl so no. If i was doing well in life or have even a remote chance of being competitive i wouldn't be here.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Kassender
Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Wizard
May 14, 2018
No. When you apply for Walmart, their "assessment" asks this in several different ways. I'm all set with a death match competition with other under paid employees.

Boonks

Boonks

Lowlife
Mar 2, 2019
I have experienced this before. 2018 was my best year, living my best life, and I viewed life as a video game and found competing for success a thrill. I then had a so called "drug induced psychotic manic episode" and all that went to hell. Today my competitions are more like, "how much weed/cigarettes/booze can you consume", "what's the longest time you ghosted someone you love", "how fucked up are you".

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Perhaps when I'm younger, such as in my teens or early 20's, then yes, I had a bit of a competitive side. However, as I've grown older and in the last few years, I did not care much about keeping up or competing with others. Partly because I'm just not cut out for it (financially, I'm just earning enough to get by, I don't care enough to get into a relationship/nor would I be interested in one, and I could give a rat's arse about status in society), but also, mainly because I just want to live life on my own terms and enjoy what there is left to enjoy until I check out someday.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can
Weeping Garbage Can

Weeping Garbage Can

ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰਕੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਭੁੱਲ ਜਾਓ ❤️
Oct 31, 2018
No, I personally really hate doing so; it causes me so much stress (doesn't feel 'right'?) and I hate depriving others of what they need/want, I'd much rather someone else win and achieve these things as long as it doesn't cause additional (direct) harm :,3

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
H

Heart of Ice

Chillin'
Sep 26, 2019
It's hardly a fair race, as others have the best cards and others were dealt a crappy hand. If capitalism really was a fair race wherein everyone started from the same line, perhaps I would enjoy competition more.

TheNorthernSilence

TheNorthernSilence

Arcanist
Nov 13, 2018
No, the game is rigged.

Competition is natural and necessary to weed out the least fit, unfortunately that is not happening these days in most countries. It is not encouraged. They want to reverse civilization and rational thinking to put the entire world back to the dark ages.
Could you please explain to me why this kind of fascist thinking wouldn't equal as "going back to the dark ages"?

Last edited:
Reactions: AutumnEmbers
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
No, the game is rigged.

Could you please explain to me why this kind of fascist thinking wouldn't equal as "going back to the dark ages"?
I'm aware that the game is rigged and that the ruling classes think that functional hierarchies are built on power when the truth is that effective hierarchies are built on who is the most competent. When you reward competition instead of who can be the most violent and psychopathic we can progress and that's when many people rise out of poverty bc inventions happen to lift other people up in standard of living.

You don't have a high functioning wealthy sustainable society at least not for long if the most powerful use institutionalized violence against everybody else to keep power and reduce the competition to themselves. An example of the ruling class brainwashing people away from established science for example is trying to push that there are more than two genders and that there's no significant psychological and physical differences between men and women. This will put us back on the road to superstition and ignores why men and women have different outcomes when u try to make them equal.

Last edited:
TheNorthernSilence

TheNorthernSilence

Arcanist
Nov 13, 2018
I'm aware that the game is rigged and that the ruling classes think that functional hierarchies are built on power when the truth is that effective hierarchies are built on who is the most competent. When you reward competition instead of who can be the most violent and psychopathic we can progress and that's when many people rise out of poverty bc inventions happen to lift other people up in standard of living.

You don't have a high functioning wealthy sustainable society at least not for long if the most powerful use institutionalized violence against everybody else to keep power and reduce the competition to themselves. An example of the ruling class brainwashing people away from established science for example is trying to push that there are more than two genders and that there's no significant psychological and physical differences between men and women. This will put us back on the road to superstition and ignores why men and women have different outcomes when u try to make them equal.
You really didn't answer my question. What you implied earlier is that the "weak", disabled people like me should just die in a ditch and I was offended by that. But this is the end of the discussion for me, I'm not going to discuss politics because it's so toxic.

Reactions: less than and AutumnEmbers
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
I do not.

"Humans and other animals". They are not above any other species.
Speciesism is one of the reasons why I do not wish to exist in this world. Or this world to exist... Or both.
Yes, humans are above most species of animals in a sense of intelligence. Only very few i. e. Dolphins/Chimpanzees can compare to us.

azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
I only compete for likes on a suicide forum.
I have been thinking about this line for nigh on 4 months now, for it basically describes my social life at present. Very illuminating (for me) to have my favorite pastime laid out for what it is. I really did appreciate this reality check, and, just, I don't know "linguistically," ("artistically")? this sentence was tight. I mean to say it was clever. Wry. Astute. I really envy this ability of yours to be observationally humorous. I hope you are getting sufficiently rewarded for this talent.

waterbottleman

waterbottleman

Not a person
Sep 30, 2019
I like helping people more than competing.

WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
Regardless of competition, any kind of living being tries to survive. Some are more competitive than others but it's all a survival mechanism plus a little ego.

Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
I figured out that being #1 at something doesn't mean anything. It just puts a target on your back. And if others don't like you they'll join together to make sure you don't get anywhere. Just being better than the people against me is good enough.

Reactions: WhyIsLife56
Finis Autem Spero

Finis Autem Spero

Dec 30, 2019
Personally, I hate competitiveness to the degree that I'm not good at competing, I just can't win, it always tell me a loser no matter what which cause bad and harmful feelings. In competitive gaming, I'll lose while most of the time I'm way better than the opponents and with more skills and understanding. So on paper, I should be a top player but in reality, I'm nothing but a "loser". So fuck competitiveness, while winning can trigger brain reward system but many times opponents will get hurt or not like losing. So its bullshit either way

Cooperation, on the other hand, while glorified and its actually theoretically good but practically it becomes bullshit. Look at co-op games and specially board games and how one can compete for leadership and everyone wants to enforce his ideas on others and will flame anyone who will cause a lose. Its something like capitalism vs communism, no matter what they say in theory, both are shit in practice because many humans are toxic no matter what, its just that competitiveness encourage more toxic behavior which is clearly can be seen in sports like provoking the opponent and tactical fouls and even in clean play, passive aggressiveness can happen and dirty tactics can be applied.

I can get pretty competitive while gaming, depending on the game, though I've come to realise that a lot of the games I'm competitive in are games full of psychological manipulations to get you to spend more time during a subscription, or pay more for microtransactions.

After shedding those games, it turns out I enjoy co-operative, creative games far more. Particularly if the people who made the game did it for the love of the game and not to squeeze as much money as possibly out of people.

I still have to win whenever I play Screencheat with my friends though :ahhha:

Rhyme

Rhyme

Sleep now and carry on into the black of the night
Jan 18, 2020
I still have to win whenever I play Screencheat with my friends though :ahhha:

Oh man, I could not STAND losing against friends. Though the best I've ever gotten in a game was in TF2 when me and another friend would 1v1 for hours at a time.

Nowadays the only game I play is Risk of Rain 2 when my buddy wants to play. Though March should be a good month for gaming this year, with Persona 5: Royal, Cyberpunk2020 and DOOM: Eternal coming out. Oh and Vampyre The Masquerade 2. Though I'm not sure if ALL of those are coming out in March...

More on topic, I've for the most part lost the urge to be competitive at pretty much anything. Not that I don't get heated about anything, just that if whatever useless thing is so important to other people; they can have it. Difficult to tell if it's a change in my thinking or the apathy speaking, though.

Reactions: Finis Autem Spero
I

imagineit

Jan 1, 2020
I used to have a competitive mindset, but never enjoyed thinking like that. It is hard to change that mentality, though. I think recreational activities that encourage competition are good in many ways and can help establish or further influence certain characteristics in people, but life as a competition bothers me. Life as a whole is not exactly zero sum, but often those gaining something comes at the expense of someone losing something. I do not enjoy this type of competition.

Reactions: Rhyme
Carrotcake

Carrotcake

Experienced
Nov 27, 2019
I guess I am a bit competitive, but at the same time I feel like it's a game you could never win.