Desdemona

Desdemona

Oct 14, 2020
I'm not autistic but I have Hyperacusis, and tinnitus and Misophonia. And acoustic trauma made my miso so much worse. I can totally relate to everything being too loud. People make so much unnecessary noise. Contruction everywhere, loud laughter, plates being put away, music from neighbors. I can't even wear ear plugs because my tinnitus is insane. I can relate OP

Reactions: maybepossiblyithink
B

Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020
I'm not autistic but I have Hyperacusis, and tinnitus and Misophonia. And acoustic trauma made my miso so much worse. I can totally relate to everything being too loud. People make so much unnecessary noise. Contruction everywhere, loud laughter, plates being put away, music from neighbors. I can't even wear ear plugs because my tinnitus is insane. I can relate OP
Are you able to go out whats your LDL's?

Desdemona

Desdemona

Oct 14, 2020
Are you able to go out whats your LDL's?

I have pain even in silence. Burning nerve pain. Random attacks of TTTS. Severe tinnitus. Even voices are bothersome to me and my head feels like it's always on the verge of exploding. I don't think Ldl's are a good assessment of H at least not in my case. I don't go out at all besides quiet walks around my neighborhood during non-peak hours

Reactions: maybepossiblyithink
B

Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020
I have pain even in silence. Burning nerve pain. Random attacks of TTTS. Severe tinnitus. Even voices are bothersome to me and my head feels like it's always on the verge of exploding. I don't think Ldl's are a good assessment of H at least not in my case. I don't go out at all besides quiet walks around my neighborhood during non-peak hours
I'm sorry if i ask you before my memory is shit what caused your Hyperacusis?

Desdemona

Desdemona

Oct 14, 2020
I'm sorry if i ask you before my memory is shit what caused your Hyperacusis?

No worries. I think concerts. My H progressively got worse. What made me really notice it was when I got severe T, so I probably had it before then too just mild. It just got worse and worse with more symptoms and An MRI made it bad enough to be here. Hbu

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I'm not trying to self diagnose and I am no way saying I am, for a fact, autistic, but my entire life theres been so many unexplainable things about how my brain works that's caused me to think this. I've been a selective mute my whole life, (not specific to autism ), i've never held any irl friendships for more than a few months, I can't communicate properly with speaking, but I do well in text or writing, i have several special interests that occupy my mind way more than anything else, like pirates, etc.

I'm just trying to think of possibilities, so that when i do seek help I'll be able to tell them what it is I'm thinking. "I think I may be _____, but I need your professional opinion."
I am scared to seek help. I'm terrified.
I'm already treated as a child by everyone around me. But I desperately want some sort of answer so I can figure out what is going on.
There may be simple fixes for some of the symptoms but, as a whole, I don't know what to do.
My panic disorder and anxiety can be treated with medication but idk what can fix what else is going on besides trying to reach out to a professional.
I want to be normal. I'd be okay with being short, being ftm, being lame, being boring, whatever, if I was just. Normal. If I could just speak like a normal person and actually be able to hold a conversation with people irl. I can't just hide behind a screen for the rest of whatever is left of my life :(
Please don't feel I was judging you, because that wasn't my intention at all. I think you're on the right track, researching and coming up with possibilities.

I understand being scared of getting help, too. I was so afraid of what it would be like to seek help, but it actually wasn't bad at all. I can only say how it was for me, but when I got evaluated, it was basically just an interview. I sat with a very nice psychologist who asked me tons of questions about my symptoms. It was just stuff like did I experience nightmares? Racing thoughts? Obsessive behaviors? Some went deeper, sometimes I had to elaborate, but there was nothing scary. That was pretty much it.

I didn't tell him what I was afraid might be wrong to avoid biased results. My therapist referred me, and I'm not sure if she gave specifics but I didn't have to.

So they did the questions and that was the visit. I got the diagnosis later, after my symptoms and records were reviewed. I got paperwork in the mail, but since I'd been referred by a therapist, she was the one who discussed it with me. I've also had my therapists diagnose me with things as they got to understand specific issues I have through talking to me.

And just because they diagnose you doesn't mean you have to do anything about it. You could choose to go home and forget it ever happened, or you could decide on treatment of some sort. You won't be forced against your will to do anything, just because they say, yeah, you are autistic! Or whatever. The only time you can be forced is if they believe you are an imminent danger to yourself or others. If they think you will definitely walk out of their office and do something. Other than that, you're always free to choose.

I'm not cured or even necessarily better because of it, but I am glad I got diagnosed. It helps me understand what might help and what's a waste of time.