Status
Not open for further replies.
unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
Damn, it must be a day. It must be one of those days.

Reactions: Jezzibell and not-2-b-the-answer
CentreMid

CentreMid

Sorry
Aug 23, 2018
Speaking as an older member, the broader issue we need to be aware of is internal division. There are certain topics which are inherently incendiary to the community. We need to be mindful of them. Examples:

* Overburdened parents in distress vs. childless people who have been traumatised by negligent parenting. The keyword 'natalist' is the grenade to initiate bitter infighting.

* People who are suicidal amidst unbearable emotions and situations vs. people who will mechanically repeat mantras about life being bad. The trigger words to initiate war between these groups might be 'pro-life' (used in this context as a derogatory term for a distressed suicidal person fighting to survive). And yes, there is tremendous overlap between 'Suicide Discussion' and 'Recovery'.

* Old vs. young people with wildly varying views (on average) on life. Various other identity politics issues, e.g. posts with veiled misogynistic content. Transphobic insensitivity with the obligatory claim of 'free-speech' victimhood. Theist vs. atheist. There are various triggers but shouldn't be hard to spot. Not to be confused with respectful dialogue on difficult topics.

Beware of people using 'divide and rule' to feed off these sorts of conflicts to develop a following. Also beware of people whose mental health makes them unable to feel genuine empathy for others. And further to that, beware of well-intentioned discussions and opinions expressed around these hot topics that can easily turn ugly.

Since we are a community, we cannot attack each other without attacking ourselves. We have an important niche, yet many foes on the outside who may well be taking note of our weaknesses.
That is true. Fighting with ourselves won't make things better no matter how well or ill-intentioned our posts may be. Thanks for the reminder. I'll admit, there are times (such as now haha) where I need it!

• Hugs
Reactions: Jezzibell, not-2-b-the-answer and Pluto
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I've noticed a lot of life-warriors on here in the past few days. It's off-putting and obnoxious. There's an entire leg of the site where they can go and have their own space. Yet, they come on here with their pro-life nonsense. I wish there was a way to stop that.
If it's happening en masse, it might be because of some orchestrated campaign. The mods are great at taking care of this issue so we just need to report any illegitimate members.

That is true. Fighting with ourselves won't make things better no matter how well or ill-intentioned our posts may be. Thanks for the reminder. I'll admit, there are times (such as now haha) where I need it!
Same for all of us. Lots of emotionally-charged issues yet a need to preserve a diverse community. And various types of trolls to spice things up. It will always be a challenge. :smiling:

Reactions: Jezzibell, not-2-b-the-answer, CentreMid and 1 other person
PurpleParadigm

PurpleParadigm

The glow is an illusion
Mar 22, 2023
Speaking as an older member, the broader issue we need to be aware of is internal division. There are certain topics which are inherently incendiary to the community. We need to be mindful of them. Examples:

* Overburdened parents in distress vs. childless people who have been traumatised by negligent parenting. The keyword 'natalist' is the grenade to initiate bitter infighting.

* People who are suicidal amidst unbearable emotions and situations vs. people who will mechanically repeat mantras about life being bad. The trigger words to initiate war between these groups might be 'pro-life' (used in this context as a derogatory term for a distressed suicidal person fighting to survive). And yes, there is tremendous overlap between 'Suicide Discussion' and 'Recovery'.

* Old vs. young people with wildly varying views (on average) on life. Various other identity politics issues, e.g. posts with veiled misogynistic content. Transphobic insensitivity with the obligatory claim of 'free-speech' victimhood. Theist vs. atheist. There are various triggers but shouldn't be hard to spot. Not to be confused with respectful dialogue on difficult topics.

Beware of people using 'divide and rule' to feed off these sorts of conflicts to develop a following. Also beware of people whose mental health makes them unable to feel genuine empathy for others. And further to that, beware of well-intentioned discussions and opinions expressed around these hot topics that can easily turn ugly.

Since we are a community, we cannot attack each other without attacking ourselves. We have an important niche, yet many foes on the outside who may well be taking note of our weaknesses.
This is a good post that accuretly represents the issues faced by this community. The concerns I have raised fall under the second bulletpoint. I am also weary of a type of predator that seeks to develop a following, as I believe they commonly prey on communities such as this one. Thank you for writing this.

By the way, since I checked and there is no rules stating I can't share that. I got warned off challenging FC by a mod who is another FC follower just as the other 3 users that ganged up on me. So the second and also the final points raised by Pluto that can relate to cult like behaviour are deeply concerning to me. Of course, I will continue to share my concerns with impunity.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Hmph!
Reactions: Tuurngait, rationaltake, Jezzibell and 4 others
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
Some thoughts... Just my humble thoughts anyway.

After being on here many years. (Thought I would be long gone by now) I believe everyone has the right to end their life.
Coming on here and insisting that you should "Live" when you have not experienced that posters life is insulting.
Useless platitudes do not help. You can say them all you want. What are you actually doing to help? Are you spending time to make someones life better. (More of a IRL situation)

If someone makes a post "Should I CTB"? I'm not gonna tell them to do it. They need to come to that conclusion themselves. I have in the past encouraged some not to. If I think someone can get better, I'm happy for them.

I'm also not going to lie and say "It gets better" knowing it's most likely a lie.
If someone is posting a goodbye thread and they have their method, I wish them well.

The only exception I can think of is if the method is unlikely to work. I have seen some pretty fucked up methods.
I'm sorry for the people who have lost loved ones but S.S. isn't to blame. Someone had to have a fucked up life to bring them here.

Now that more peaceful methods are gone, there will be more violent deaths by people trying to leave this shitty planet.

That is all I can think of right now.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: lovesickness, leavingsoon99, ghost44 and 3 others
Status
Not open for further replies.