Jrmull1993

Jrmull1993

Warlock
Jul 13, 2022
Went through the forum today and I noticed that there are not many references regarding government procedures for executions.

Being that these resources are public, I thought that I'd start compiling them as I come across them.

1. Florida Lethal Injection Protocols
    1. Great resource for barbiturate use.
  2. US Army - Military Execution Procedures
    1. No specific execution methods, just procedures about how they are carried out.
  3. North Carolina Pentobarbital Execution Manual
    1. Dosing manual for pento.
    2. NC is a single drug state
  4. Federal Bureau of Prisons - Execution Protocol
    1. Starting on page 54, administration instructions on the three drug cocktail (Thiopental, Pancuronium Bromide, and Potassium Chloride)
  5. Florida Execution by Electrocution Protocols
    1. Good reference on electrode placement, and applicable electrical transmission data.
  6. South Dakota - Execution of an Inmate Policy
    1. Interestingly enough, the state of South Dakota allows the use of 1, 2 or 3 drug cocktails. I assume this is because the availability of particular barbiturates are hard to source, even for state governments.
  7. Arizona - Execution Procedures (Injection)
    1. Those sentenced to death prior to 11/23/1992 have the option to be executed by lethal gas (See attachment 8)
    2. I was surprised to see that an AED is to be in the execution chamber incase the prisoner goes into cardiac arrest before the drug cocktail is given.
    3. Arizona also has the option for a 1, 2 or 3 drug cocktail and they give themselves quite a bit to leeway determining what they can consist of (Starts on Page 27)
  8. Arizona - Execution Procedure Supplement (Gas Chamber)
    1. Arizona uses a caustic gas-soda mix

Attachments

• FlorLethInject.pdf
    443.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ARN14710_R190_55_FINAL.pdf
    497.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Protocol.pdf
    161.1 KB · Views: 0
  • BOP Protocol 8-1-08.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Electrocution-Protocol-2021-05-07.pdf
    11.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Execution of an Inmate8302021.pdf
    480.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ArizonaProtocol01.11.2017.pdf
    465.7 KB · Views: 0
  • AZ Lethal Gas Protocol.pdf
    174.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: uBSUbc9904, Tiberius85, MountainMonkey and 9 others
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Good info. Thanks for compiling and sharing it!

Must say I'm shocked to see Florida still using electrocution. In honesty I'm amazed that only one state lists pentobarbital though there's probably pentobarbital in some of the lethal injections of the states that don't site the contents. Theopental could be what they use though ai guess. It's a barbiturate and used IV so it's going to have a very similar effect to N I expect. I really thought states would be unified in the method usef though!

Reactions: bloos and Jrmull1993
Jrmull1993

Jrmull1993

Warlock
Jul 13, 2022
9. Utah - Prisoner Execution Technical Manual
1. Utah allows for both Lethal Injection or Firing Squad​
2. I found it interesting that Valium is part of their drug cocktails.​
10. Tennessee - Lethal Injection Execution Manual
1. Three Drug Cocktail (page 34) (Midazolam, Vecuronium Bromide & Potassium Chloride)​
2. This guide is BY FAR the most detailed​
11. Texas - Execution Procedure
1. Texas is a single drug state (Pentobarbital)​
12. Alabama - State Execution Procedures
1. Three Drug Cocktail (sodium thiopental, pentobarbital & midazolam)​
13. Arkansas - Lethal Injection Procedure
1. Three Drug Cocktail (sodium thiopental, pentobarbital & midazolam)​
14. Georgia - Lethal Injection Procedures
1. State Allows for either a single drug cocktail (pentobarbital), or a 3-drug cocktail (pentobarbital, sodium thiopental, Potassium Chloride)​
15. Idaho - SOP Execution Procedures
1. Drugs Not Specified in document (Lethal Injection)​
16. Indiana - Execution of Death Sentence
1. Indiana utilizes a three-drug cocktail, allowing for various options based on availability.​
Drug A: Sodium Pentothal OR Pentobarbital OR Brevital​
Drug B: Pancuronium OR Vecuronium​
Drug C: Potassium Chloride​

Must say I'm shocked to see Florida still using electrocution.
I had no idea that electrocution was used either. It was passed by Florida's legislature last year in 2021. What was interesting is that a professional engineer had to sign and seal the plans, thought that was different...

Attachments

• 3-13-17_MR34278_RES.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • TN LI Protocol 7-5-18.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • TX Execution Procedure 04.02.2019.pdf
    617.5 KB · Views: 0
  • AL-Execution-Protocol-April-2019.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • ArkansasProtocol08.06.2015.pdf
    126.7 KB · Views: 0
  • GeorgiaProtocol07.17.2012.pdf
    198.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IdahoProtocol-3-30-2021.pdf
    500.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IndianaProtocol_01.22.2014.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: lionetta12, MountainMonkey, bloos and 1 other person
Jrmull1993

Jrmull1993

Warlock
Jul 13, 2022
17. Pennsylvania - Capital Case Administration Policy
1. Single Drug ( Pentobarbital OR Thiopental)​
18. Oregon - Death By Lethal Injection Procedures
1. Oregon is a three drug cocktail, of which they are very vague. per page 7, the cocktail is to consist of:​
Drug A & B: "ultra-short acting barbiturate in combination with a chemical paralytic agent"​
Drug C: "Potassium Chloride or other equally effective substances sufficient to cause death"​
19. Ohio - State Policy on Executions
1. Ohio allows for (3) different options. It is unclear what dictates the chosen option, but I assume it is based on supply.​
- Option 1: Pentobarbital​
- Option 2: Thiopental Sodium​
-Option 3: Three Drug Cocktail​
- Drug#1: Midazolam HCL​
- Drug#2: Vecuronium bromide OR Pancuronium bromide OR Rocuronium bromide​
- Drug#3: Potassium Chloride​
20. California - Lethal Injection Procedure
1. CA is very vague. They use a three drug cocktail which leads with either Pentobarbital OR Thiopental and (2) additional undisclosed drugs.​
21. Kentucky - Condemned Person Procedure
1. KY uses a single drug consisting of either Pentobarbital or Thiopental sodium​
22. Louisiana - Death Penalty Operating Procedures
1. Provides (2) Options. Either Pentobarbital OR a cocktail of Midazolam AND Hydromorphone​
23. Mississippi - Capital Punishment Procedures
1. Three Drug Cocktail with options to account for lack of availability / long lead times​
- Drug #1: Sodium Pentothal OR Pentobarbital OR Midazolam HCL​
- Drug #2: Pavulon OR Vecuronium bromide OR Rocuronium bromide​
24. Missouri - D.O.C. Administration of Lethal Injection
1. Single Drug - Pentobarbital​
25. Montana - Execution Technical Manual
1. Two Drug Cocktail of Pancuronium Bromide AND Sodium Pentothal​
26. Nebraska - Notice of Execution Drugs
1. I was very interested in Nebraska's 4-drug cocktail, as it is much easier to source in comparison to all the previously listed states. Their cocktail consists of:​
- Drug A: Diazepam​
- Drug B: Fentanyl Citrate​
- Drug C: Cisatracurium Besylate​
- Drug D: Potassium Chloride​
27. Nevada - Execution Manual
1. Similar to NE, Nevada has two different drug cocktail options that are also much easier to source than a bulk of the other states.​
- Option #1: (Fentanyl or Alfentanil) + Ketamine + Cis-atracuronium + (Potassium Chloride OR Potassium Acetate)​
- Option #2: (Fentanyl or Alfentanil)+ Ketamine + (Potassium Chloride OR Potassium Acetate)​
28. Oklahoma - Execution of Inmates Sentenced to Death
1. Oklahoma laws allow for one of three lethal injection methods:​
- Method#1: Pentobarbital​
- Method#2: Sodium Pentothal​
- Method#3: Midazolam + Vecuronium bromide + Potassium Chloride​

Attachments

• Mississippi.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2014.03.14.LA.protocol.pdf
  • Kentucky.pdf
  • CALI Proto.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • OhioProtocol10.07.2016.pdf
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
  • OregonProtocol_03.2017.pdf
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PennsylvaniaProtocol.08.28.2012.pdf
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Missouri - Admin of Lethal Injection.pdf
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MontanaExecutionProtocol.pdf
    402.2 KB · Views: 0
  • NebraskaNoticeofExecutionDrugs.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Nevada-Protocol-06.09.2021.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Oklahoma.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: MountainMonkey, Smart No More and bloos
Jrmull1993

Jrmull1993

Warlock
Jul 13, 2022
StateMethodComments
AlabamaLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
ArizonaLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
ArizonaGas ChamberCaustic Gas-Soda Mix
ArkansasLethal InjectionBarbiturate + Benzo Based
CaliforniaLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
FloridaLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
FloridaElectrocutionElectrode Placement Data
GeorgiaLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
IdahoLethal InjectionBelieved to be barbiturate based, Drugs not disclosed
IndianaLethal InjectionBarbiturate OR Neuromuscular OR Electrolyte Imbalance
KansasTBDCapital Punishment is legal, but at the time of this thread, there is no current procedure.
KentuckyLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
LouisianaLethal InjectionBarbiturate OR Benzo-Opioid
MississippiLethal InjectionBarbiturate OR Neuromuscular
MissouriLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
MontanaLethal InjectionBarbiturate + Neuromuscular
NebraskaLethal InjectionBenzo + Opioid + Neuromuscular + Electrolyte Imbalance
NevadaLethal InjectionOpioid + Dissociative Anesthetic
North CarolinaLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
OhioLethal InjectionBarbiturate OR Benzo-Neuromuscular-Electrolyte Imbalance
OklahomaLethal InjectionBarbiturate OR Benzo-Neuromuscular-Electrolyte Imbalance
OregonLethal InjectionBarbiturate-Paralytic w/ Electrolyte Imbalance
PennsylvaniaLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
South CarolinaTBDCapital Punishment is legal, but at the time of this thread, there is no current procedure.
South DakotaLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
TennesseeLethal InjectionBenzo + Neuromuscular + Electrolyte Imbalance
TexasLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
UtahLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
Utah

Firing Squad
All (5) Marksmen Aim for Heart with rifle chambered in 6.5mm Creedmoor OR .260 Rem
WyomingTBDCapital Punishment is legal, but at the time of this thread, there is no current procedure.
US MilitaryBased on order of President or UCMJ
US PrisonsLethal InjectionBarbiturate Based
Created for SanctionedSuicide

Lessons Learned: Most states utilize Barbiturate based drugs to carryout executions, however of the (4) states to most recently update their protocols the use of Benzodiazepines and Neuro-Muscular drugs replaced barbiturates.

• Informative
Reactions: lionetta12, MountainMonkey, Smart No More and 2 others
Gustav Hartmann

Gustav Hartmann

Mage
Aug 28, 2021
This information confirms my conviction that the USA is one of the worst countries in the world.

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Must say I'm shocked to see Florida still using electrocution.

I think, and I very well could be wrong, it may have to do with not getting the drugs for lethal injection. Wasn't the supplier in Europe?

Reactions: Jrmull1993
GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
I heard there are states preparing N₂ systems for executions.

Reactions: Jrmull1993
Jrmull1993

Jrmull1993

Warlock
Jul 13, 2022
I think, and I very well could be wrong, it may have to do with not getting the drugs for lethal injection. Wasn't the supplier in Europe?
Several states recently changes methods since its hard to get barbiturates. It seems the new "trend" is to use a combination of benzodiazepines, neuromuscular and opioid class medications with Potassium Chloride.
I heard there are states preparing N₂ systems for executions.
It would be much simpler than Arizona's gas method.

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
It's interesting though, isn't it? ..... That they come to an agreement that of all the methods, barbiturates are the most humane but then when they find it hard to source them they ultimately change their values rather than putting it off either until supply can be reestablished or a genuinely parallel or more humane way can be found. It may seem like a little thing to some but it shows to me just how easily standards can be influenced and how prepared people are to adjust their values.

If I was on deathrow I'd be fine with barbiturate death. Opioid would probably suit me too but gas? Fuck that. Tbh I'm not keen on any of the other methods and eloctrocution is just barbaric. Sure these criminals (at least some of them) might deserve to die but once we reach an understanding as a society we need to stand by it or improve on it. Displaying such willingness to back pedal or undermine our values is teaching younger people bad ethics and I think its fair to say we're already seeing the fruits of that.

I suppose you could argue that it's an example of what not to do and young adults might learn from it in a positive way. In fact I believe I fell into that catagory growing but unfortunately I was a minority and the majority of people just follw what they're told. I'm not sure if that will ever change.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountainMonkey and Jrmull1993
Jrmull1993

Jrmull1993

Warlock
Jul 13, 2022
If I was on deathrow I'd be fine with barbiturate death. Opioid would probably suit me too but gas? Fuck that. Tbh I'm not keen on any of the other methods and eloctrocution is just barbaric.
Agreed. I'd be more "comfortable" being hanged than put on the electric chair. Not sure about Utah's firing squad, although with those caliber rounds, I'm pretty sure they have a higher level of lethality as compared to any of the drug methods.

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Agreed. I'd be more "comfortable" being hanged than put on the electric chair. Not sure about Utah's firing squad, although with those caliber rounds, I'm pretty sure they have a higher level of lethality as compared to any of the drug methods.
I'd forgotten the firing squad option. That would be harrowing. Pretty brutal too. Definitely scaring for the loved ones left behind. I think that goes largely unconsidered where inmates are concerned. All sorts of criminals still have family and loved ones and whilst it's no reason not to punish them it still warrants a little consideration of the larger scale implications IMHO as they're often law abiding citizens that live an otherwise function life and play a functional role in society.

Prisons are business these days and they need to keep a rolling population so holding off on multiple execution dates doesn't suit their business model and as a result their moral conduct meets bare minimum requirements to avoid litigation or backlash.

The same can be said of care homes and the care industry. Anywhere theres minority or vulnerable people there is less considerstion and a lot of poor treatment and exploitation. It's really sad.

I think it stems from humans lacking inclination to consider things that don't immediately relate to them. Elderly, vulnerable, impoverish etc. They're not pleasant to think about and so people find it easy to just not. I think it's something that suicidal people and inmates on death row have in common with them.