pain in my heart

pain in my heart

Oct 26, 2019
I think that people are flawed, some badly, and some are even evil, but scratch the surface and almost all of these people have had horrible things happen to them. Therefore I try to pity them, rather than hate or judge. Niceness/kindness/compassion seems to be massively undervalued.

Compassion and kindness ain't gonna make big bucks in this capitalistic system. Case in point, the fur industry.

Reactions: StillWaiting
B

blahblah

Oct 26, 2019
Compassion and kindness ain't gonna make big bucks in this capitalistic system. Case in point, the fur industry.

Maybe capitalism is at the root of all the shit in the world? I used to think so when I was younger and more angry, and the world has only gotten worse since then. However, the people who hurt me didn't gain financially from it, so I guess that theory is too simplistic. I think the root of the shit is that people want to believe they are better than others, and money/power is just one way to measure that. They will pursue it any cost, because we are all ultimately selfish and lie to ourselves about the impact of our actions.

Animals don't even count as living beings to a lot of people. This quote always resonated with me. "A civilization is measured by how it treats its weakest members." I kind of see humanity as the guardians of the planet. Or, we should be. It's very disappointing. I hope there's something better after I ctb.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, StillWaiting, lucines and 1 other person
pain in my heart

pain in my heart

Oct 26, 2019
Maybe capitalism is at the root of all the shit in the world? I used to think so when I was younger and more angry, and the world has only gotten worse since then. However, the people who hurt me didn't gain financially from it, so I guess that theory is too simplistic. I think the root of the shit is that people want to believe they are better than others, and money/power is just one way to measure that. They will pursue it any cost, because we are all ultimately selfish and lie to ourselves about the impact of our actions.

Animals don't even count as living beings to a lot of people. This quote always resonated with me. "A civilization is measured by how it treats its weakest members." I kind of see humanity as the guardians of the planet. Or, we should be. It's very disappointing. I hope there's something better after I ctb.

Well yeah, I also think greed plays a really heavy part on the corruption of humanity. I mean, I personally can never kill an animal just for the monetary gain, but it doesn't mean others won't. At the end, guess who's gonna be rich and lead a comfortable life despite the cruelty inflicted on others? Definitely ain't me. Kindness and compassion ain't worth much in our era, and this is just sad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mr2005
notjustyetagain

notjustyetagain

Oct 28, 2019
I despise us all as a species. It is going to be great when we are extinct. I wish suicide was less painful but at least I know there will be nothing after death so a few minutes to hours will be nothing compared to a lifetime of hell. Oblivion will be great. The human species is mostly disgusting, narcissistic, scared, animals too smart yet too stupid for its own good. And anyone sort of intelligent never uses it for good, they usually always get bitter and end up just as bad as everyone else.
as a species, humans are doing a lot of damage to the environment and other living creatures. that much i can agree with. i've been fortunate enough to have come across many extremely kind-hearted individuals, often very intelligent, who weren't bitter and were genuinely compassionate -- even they were contributing to the collective damage, however.

the tragedy of the commons and the lottery of life have got together, had a few too many drinks, and done something very naughty indeed.

pain in my heart

pain in my heart

Oct 26, 2019
Yeah I changed my mind. We are garbage.

Funny enough, I find the members of our forum to be very kind, willing to reach out to others and always up for a chat.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465, StillWaiting and DarkDane
H

Heart of Ice

Chillin'
Sep 26, 2019
If humanity were decent there wouldn't be so much inequality, poverty, injustice, greed, violence etcetera. Humanity decent? No species that had any moral sense would have done what we have done to our kind alone. Not to mention fuck up our one and only planet out of sheer greed and undilluted egotism. We royally screwed over the coming generations: doesn't sound very 'decent' to me.

How can you (or anyone) have any faith in the human race after Auschwitz to name but the most recognisable horror?

In a world where millions die each year of hunger and completely curable diseases the conclusion that humanity is garbage is quite reasonable.

Optimists who claim humans are basically good simply do not care about the horror humans cause each-other and wilfully ignore just how good we are at not caring one whit about our fellow man.
I don't know. I mainly walk down the street and I don't think the everyday single mother, plumber or cashier is a bad person. He/she has problems closer than the injustices of our world. I just can't say edgy things like humanity is garbage when I see overall decent people every day.

In fact I think that I'm the problem, not society at large.

Apathy and nihilism help.

Last edited:
Reactions: notjustyetagain
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Funny enough, I find the members of our forum to be very kind, willing to reach out to others and always up for a chat.
I agree there. My observation was just a bitter angry genralisation.

Reactions: pain in my heart
pain in my heart

pain in my heart

Oct 26, 2019
I agree there. My observation was just a bitter angry genralisation.

In my opinion, it's a justified generalization. I'd like to think members of our forum has a higher degree of compassion and empathy than the general public, which is also why most of us are tired of this sick, cruel world. We are incapable of being heartless, and others will always try to take advantage of us.

B

blahblah

Oct 26, 2019
In my opinion, it's a justified generalization. I'd like to think members of our forum has a higher degree of compassion and empathy than the general public, which is also why most of us are tired of this sick, cruel world. We are incapable of being heartless, and others will always try to take advantage of us.
yes, this. i used to think i'd one day find a community of kind, considerate people, kind of like a commune, but have now accepted that it doesn't exist.

Caycee

Caycee

Aug 28, 2018
If humanity were decent there wouldn't be so much inequality, poverty, injustice, greed, violence etcetera. Humanity decent? No species that had any moral sense would have done what we have done to our kind alone. Not to mention fuck up our one and only planet out of sheer greed and undilluted egotism. We royally screwed over the coming generations: doesn't sound very 'decent' to me.

How can you (or anyone) have any faith in the human race after Auschwitz to name but the most recognisable horror?

In a world where millions die each year of hunger and completely curable diseases the conclusion that humanity is garbage is quite reasonable.

Optimists who claim humans are basically good simply do not care about the horror humans cause each-other and wilfully ignore just how good we are at not caring one whit about our fellow man.
I agree. I'd like to hear one gift humanity has given to the planet. I can't think of anything. Not other people, but the planet itself. We've certainly taken just about everything.

I have been doing my best to rise above my pessimism and depression to create a good life. That spark keeps on shining. I'm due to begin online grad school at an Ivy League college in January and I recently spent weeks working myself to exhaustion so that I could invest in a new business, but today...I walk outside in the afternoon and hear my psychotic neighbor torturing and soon thereafter, killing a cat (I have a screen on my fence to give me privacy from his stares and his friends, and I do not see his property either -- I did not see the killing, but I have an idea how it was done). He is a known cat killer, but thankfully, I have not been aware of anything since I arrived. I am closer to animals than people and I live with cats, and I was and am so traumatized that I can barely function.

I think of the words of the author Cormac McCarthy, who said that his books are about people who are simply trying to figure out how to live in this world. In my state in the USA, animals are property and it is legal to kill your pet if you want to, as long as you don't torture them. A call to authorities would be my word against his (torture), and this is a man with no boundaries. He is strong KKK, alcoholic, and enraged. He is also a respected businessman because his mother left him some money. He is more important in my country than I am due to his financial status, nothing else. The authorities would side with him. He has already terrorized me and my animals, using lies and a boy's club to help him, and I will finally be forced to leave this sweet property I moved to in 2017 asap, if I live long enough. Homicide or suicide. I guess that is now the question...if I say a word about him anywhere other than this forum.

I began to post a few months ago in this forum and each time I'm driven to it, I've had a devastating experience with another human being and the spark within me goes very low. Time passes, and I feel better until the next encounter. Just a week ago, a man stood outside my gate demanding I give two cats to him that he and his girlfriend had abandoned earlier this year. I knew nothing of him, as a local person gave the cats to me six months ago, but he was very threatening and told me he'd "get ugly" with me if necessary. This happened just as I was beginning to make a nice dinner. The dinner was forgotten due to calls to the sheriff, etc. I visited this forum after that nightmare but didn't post.

I have met a few people who are the very best anyone could hope to happen across in the world. Not many, though, and I am older, I believe, than most people here (older than most people generally). I find humans to be the most frightening animal on the planet, and the lowest in many ways, as a whole. To know how to build a skyscraper doesn't impress me that much. I will say that the very few kind people I've met have kept me going, along with my animals. I don't know how to recover from today's soul crushing horror though, and I have no one to talk to about it. My mind keeps trying to normalize it, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 1465