Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
Patti Smith - "Going Under"

Usually I try to listen to everyone else's songs, but I can't do that today. Or at least I can't do it right now. I hope all of you--my fellow Song-Title-Link peeps--are doing okay... or at least as well as possible under your circumstances. 🖤

• Hugs
Reactions: Ringo, narval, leeloosnow and 1 other person
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Apparitions Stalk the Night -MintJam mix- (Mintjam/ZUN)

As I usually say, to remember is to live again, it's a pity that the entire album was lost, one cares about safeguarding musical pieces once you fully immerse yourself in little-explored areas, like this one. This makes me feel nostalgic, I think this feeling is part of growing up and being able to say "oh, it's been 10 years".
Fun fact: They wanted to do 555 or Blade but decided on Ryuki because more Riders = more toys. I wish Dragon Knight would have been a bigger success, it was actually a pretty good show but no one cared.

Yeah, the only one I remember actually catching growing up was Beetleborgs. I didn't really watch much American Toku until I went from Power Rangers fanboy to Tokusatsu fanboy in high school. XD

Yes! That scene was weird.

That's almost certainly it. It's probably just weird to look at it from a western perspective. I still need to either read or watch Skull Man. I started the manga once but just stopped for reasons I can't remember.
That makes sense... Ah, that explains why Verde Camo and Ryuga Onyx had more screen time and why they used all advents. My history with the tokusatsu is a bit strange, but it all started with Ryuki Game on PS1, it was a nice 3D FG considering when it comes out, it was also interesting how the devs adapted the advent cards to the game thus, it's easy to tell why Ouja (Genocider) was the most broken Rider there :B

As for Skull Man, it's really fun to read, the art is good and it's also quite short, so it's a light read as it relies mostly on the drawing to explain the scenes, it's quite common for mangas made or directed by Ishinomori, in general terms and comparing it to some Showa Era series, it maintains a good level, of course, speaking of both the one shot and the manga.

Fa5382c4 5778 428e 98db c799551f755d A01e949b aebd 47d5 b799 e3e6ff35da5f

Usually I try to listen to everyone else's songs, but I can't do that today. Or at least I can't do it right now. I hope all of you--my fellow Song-Title-Link peeps--are doing okay... or at least as well as possible under your circumstances. 🖤
I hope you are well and you don't have to work too much, hugs hugs!

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Cathy Ames, MellowAvenue and narval
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
Carlos Santana & Chad Kroeger - Into the night

Reactions: Ringo and MellowAvenue
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
Depths of the Night from Chrono Trigger

That makes sense... Ah, that explains why Verde Camo and Ryuga Onyx had more screen time and why they used all advents. My history with the tokusatsu is a bit strange, but it all started with Ryuki Game on PS1, it was a nice 3D FG considering when it comes out, it was also interesting how the devs adapted the advent cards to the game thus, it's easy to tell why Ouja (Genocider) was the most broken Rider there :B

As for Skull Man, it's really fun to read, the art is good and it's also quite short, so it's a light read as it relies mostly on the drawing to explain the scenes, it's quite common for mangas made or directed by Ishinomori, in general terms and comparing it to some Showa Era series, it maintains a good level, of course, speaking of both the one shot and the manga.

That's a bit of an interesting start but it means the game did it's job since that's part of the reason they release stuff like that. Would you recommend the Ryuki game? It looks kinda interesting from the snippets of gameplay I looked at.

Also interesting insight on Skull Man. I'll probably pick it up again soon.

• Love
Reactions: Ringo
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
Missed this given how active it's been in here - same to you. You'll have a playlist waiting for when you return!

Depths of the Night from Chrono Trigger

Nice one. A masterwork, CT is.

The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down - The band (Last Waltz ver.)

Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Night Falls ~ Evening Star (ZUN)

That's a bit of an interesting start but it means the game did it's job since that's part of the reason they release stuff like that. Would you recommend the Ryuki game? It looks kinda interesting from the snippets of gameplay I looked at.
If you compare it with the 3D FGs of the time, it is well above the average, of course I am not taking into account gems like Tekken 3 or Soul Edge (because those franchises are pioneers and have remained at the top to the point that currently they are some of the few which keep that scheme). Obviously its roster is broader than the ones from Blade or 555 games, but it also has curious inclusions, Ouja has four variations with different decks, each one focused on Venomsaker, Metalgelas, Evildiver and Genocider, Ryuki and Knight's Survive Modes are present as well as a couple of monsters from the mirror world and three advent beasts. Content-wise, it's quite decent, both for the fan and for the regular player, the standard game modes, enough characters so that you don't fall into monotony quickly if you want to beat battle runs with the riders and the card system is a good fanservice, especially since it works like in the series and you can use most of the cards not used in the show, like Zolda's strike vent, on the other hand there are some that are missing, such as Tiger's Freeze Vent or Gai's Confine Vent due to balance issues.

A curious detail that keeps looking weird to me is that there is no Alternatives in the game, which is strange... Abyss doesn't appear either but it's obvious why haha. Another curious note, although the game's music is fine, the only Riders that have their own theme are Ouja and Gai, the others share themes, what's the problem? That these groups are kinda weird, like Zolda and Odin or Raia and Scissors. Oh right, one more thing, some final vents are different, like Tiger's.

Please Bandai Namco, I need a Kamen Rider crossover FG like Battle for the Grid

• Love
Reactions: MellowAvenue
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
Shooting Star by everset

If you compare it with the 3D FGs of the time, it is well above the average, of course I am not taking into account gems like Tekken 3 or Soul Edge (because those franchises are pioneers and have remained at the top to the point that currently they are some of the few which keep that scheme). Obviously its roster is broader than the ones from Blade or 555 games, but it also has curious inclusions, Ouja has four variations with different decks, each one focused on Venomsaker, Metalgelas, Evildiver and Genocider, Ryuki and Knight's Survive Modes are present as well as a couple of monsters from the mirror world and three advent beasts. Content-wise, it's quite decent, both for the fan and for the regular player, the standard game modes, enough characters so that you don't fall into monotony quickly if you want to beat battle runs with the riders and the card system is a good fanservice, especially since it works like in the series and you can use most of the cards not used in the show, like Zolda's strike vent, on the other hand there are some that are missing, such as Tiger's Freeze Vent or Gai's Confine Vent due to balance issues.

A curious detail that keeps looking weird to me is that there is no Alternatives in the game, which is strange... Abyss doesn't appear either but it's obvious why haha. Another curious note, although the game's music is fine, the only Riders that have their own theme are Ouja and Gai, the others share themes, what's the problem? That these groups are kinda weird, like Zolda and Odin or Raia and Scissors. Oh right, one more thing, some final vents are different, like Tiger's.

Please Bandai Namco, I need a Kamen Rider crossover FG like Battle for the Grid

Gotta admit I'm one of the (apparently few people?) who just didn't get into Soul Edge. It's obviously a pioneer and there's a good chance it's because I played it AFTER I played SC2, but Edge felt very rough to me.

Tekken 3 on the other hand, best fighter on the system.

Interesting insight on the Ryuki game. It sounds like aside from some weirdness they did a good job making a fairly faithful adaptation of the show for the time. Kinda weird that you wouldn't at least give Ryuki in particular his own theme though. I'll probably add it to my retro games to check out list.

God I'd kill for a BFTG styled Kamen Rider game. The Climax series is fine for what it is, I guess, but I'm not a big fan of arena styled fighters. I really only play Xenoverse 2 in that regard but even then that's because of nostalgia, lol.

Speaking of the Climax series, I forgot that Kamen Rider Dragon Knight had it's own games. The DS one was actually one of the (few) fighters on the system and was pretty good for what it was. The Wii game… Was just Climax Heroes but with Dragon Knight characters copied over other Riders (with some slight changes to better reflect the show) so you've got stuff like Strike kinda fighting like Faiz. It's kinda weird, but honestly all things considered Ryuki/Dragon Knight fared kinda good in the games department.

Also Johnny Yong Bosh voiced Dragon Knight in the Wii Version which was a 🤯 for me.

Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Aug 8, 2022
Starman - Bowie (yeah it's one word but whatever it's not like starman is an actual world...)

• Yay!
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
Star Man Stage from Mega Man V

Reactions: Ringo and narval
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
Pereza - Estrella Polar ("polar star" in eglish)

• Love
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
Tale of the Star from Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker.

Reactions: Ringo and narval
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
Your Tale Awaits You Down the Road - Borislav Slavov - "Divinity: original sin 2" soundtrack

MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
End of the Road by Juice WRLD

Reactions: Ringo and Cathy Ames
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
"End of the Road" by Jerry Lee Lewis

• Love
webawl

webawl

Nov 13, 2022
On the Road Again-Grateful Dead

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, Ringo, Cathy Ames and 1 other person
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
"On the Road Again" by Willie Nelson

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, Ringo and MellowAvenue
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
"On the Road Again" by Canned Heat

• Love
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, Ringo and Cathy Ames
webawl

webawl

Nov 13, 2022
Oops!...I Did It Again-Britney Spears

Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
The Smile is a band made by Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood. Why am I pointing this out? Well, they were also the "main" members of Radiohead. It's said that they made The Smile because they wanted to bring optimism, because the world was so shit due to COVID. Radiohead obviously has many sad songs to their name..

You Will Never Work in Television Again, by The Smile:

Another thing I like about Johnny's guitar work is how simple it is. Most Radiohead and The Smile songs are like. maximum 5 different chords, and notes based on those chords. But, somehow, he expands it into massive songs. Enough nerding out though, heh

Reactions: MellowAvenue and Ringo
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Aug 8, 2022
Two matching words, though not in order: Never Going Back Again - Fleetwood Mac.
Been hoping to plug them after poor Christine's passing yesterday... 😢

Reactions: MellowAvenue and Ringo
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Going Under (Evanescence)

Gotta admit I'm one of the (apparently few people?) who just didn't get into Soul Edge. It's obviously a pioneer and there's a good chance it's because I played it AFTER I played SC2, but Edge felt very rough to me.

Tekken 3 on the other hand, best fighter on the system.
My first time with the seires was the SCII on PS2, but I didn't really play them until I tried the GameCube version on my Wii, Soul Edge I tried it later when I learned how emulators work. Soul Edge and Tekken 3 are definitely the best 3D FGs on PS1, of course, if we don't count Bloody Roar, School Rivals or Bushido Blade!... But the best on the system? I'm not sure, after all, on PS1 there are the first installments of Capcom's crossovers, Guilty Gear 1, some of the most iconic KoF installments, however I think it's an unfair comparison since the 2D FGs had the whole previous generation to expand and experiment, so it is expected that they will be more refined by that time.
God I'd kill for a BFTG styled Kamen Rider game. The Climax series is fine for what it is, I guess, but I'm not a big fan of arena styled fighters. I really only play Xenoverse 2 in that regard but even then that's because of nostalgia, lol.
I'm not sure that Xenoverse can count as such haha, it reminds me more of an MMO like DB Online, I'm not adept at that genre either because it gets repetitive relatively quickly and not many have enough variety of modes or complexity to that this does not happen, I really liked One Piece Burning Blood, the DB BT and RB, Pokken... Burning Blood is unbalanced but the mechanics are very fun! Although I honestly prefer the Unlimited series, they work like an Arena FG but their main mode is action adventure dungeon crawler style.

I haven't played BftG, but it looks fun and surprisingly more varied than I expected when it comes to roster haha, plus ithas two of my three favorite rangers! There is the Shadow and the Golden Rager, it is a pity that there is no RPM rangers, can you imagine what their grab would be like? They would spin the tires on their limbs!
Speaking of the Climax series, I forgot that Kamen Rider Dragon Knight had it's own games. The DS one was actually one of the (few) fighters on the system and was pretty good for what it was. The Wii game… Was just Climax Heroes but with Dragon Knight characters copied over other Riders (with some slight changes to better reflect the show) so you've got stuff like Strike kinda fighting like Faiz. It's kinda weird, but honestly all things considered Ryuki/Dragon Knight fared kinda good in the games department.

Also Johnny Yong Bosh voiced Dragon Knight in the Wii Version which was a 🤯 for me.
Wait, you mean the second Black Ranger? Dude... That's really meta I love it. But that's funny, I've never played the game, but I know it was a kinda weird modification, something like a total conversion mod haha, if I remember correctly the base was the PS2 Climax Heroes and not the Wii one . I would like to play the new ones but, well, you know. To be honest, the only studio that I think can do something good with a Kamen Rider BftG is ArcSys, at least I know they would try to adapt the mechanics of each Rider to the game, but it would be chaotic considering the numerous forms of each Rider as of Heisei Era Phase 2, for example, Build easily has more than 20 forms with his own abilities and that's speaking about best matches seen in the series, not in the specials, movies or toys. The same can be said about Wizard, Gain, Double, Drive, OOO and I can go on.

• Yay!
M

mdmd500

Arcanist
Nov 29, 2022
Under The Boardwalk - The Drifters

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
On the Boardwalk (In Atlantic City) by Dick Haymes

didn't really play them until I tried the GameCube version on my Wii, Soul Edge I tried it later when I learned how emulators work. Soul Edge and Tekken 3 are definitely the best 3D FGs on PS1, of course, if we don't count Bloody Roar, School Rivals or Bushido Blade!... But the best on the system? I'm not sure, after all, on PS1 there are the first installments of Capcom's crossovers, Guilty Gear 1, some of the most iconic KoF installments, however I think it's an unfair comparison since the 2D FGs had the whole previous generation to expand and experiment, so it is expected that they will be more refined by that time.
Yeah, I wasn't clear but I meant Tekken 3 was the best 3D fighter and I'll stand by that opinion even though you did bring up some worthy candidates (Particularly Bushido Blade, which I had kinda forgotten about). I'll admit it could well be bias on my part but Tekken 3 felt the most refined of the 3D fighters of the time.

The 2D fighters… It's really hard to beat Alpha 3 to me which is one the finest Street Fighter games there is (V-Ism aside). Guilty Gear, Samurai Shodown 2, and KoF 2000 all have their good points though, but Alpha 3 blew my mind as a kid so…

I really liked One Piece Burning Blood, the DB BT and RB, Pokken... Burning Blood is unbalanced but the mechanics are very fun!

I did like the Budokai Tenkaichi and Raging Blast series since those came out at the peak of my Dragon Ball fandom and I can enjoy playing Burning Blood and, like, the Ninja Storm games casually with friends but they don't hook me. Pokken is weird, I don't really think it in the same vein as most arena fighters, probably due to the field phase mechanic kinda making it feel like a hybridization of an arena fighter and "real" fighter. (I feel so elitist right now, lol)

I haven't played BftG, but it looks fun and surprisingly more varied than I expected when it comes to roster haha, plus ithas two of my three favorite rangers! There is the Shadow and the Golden Rager, it is a pity that there is no RPM rangers, can you imagine what their grab would be like? They would spin the tires on their limbs!
I recommend it. I think the presentation could be better (I hope it gets a sequel with an actual budget) but gameplay is nice and pretty easy to pick up and play. Was a pleasant surprise for a budget fighter. I think if it didn't have such a weak launch it'd have a stronger following. Just wondering, which favorite Ranger is missing? And I was annoyed at the lack of RPM and In Space because it, SPD, and Dino Thunder are my favorites.

To be honest, the only studio that I think can do something good with a Kamen Rider BftG is ArcSys, at least I know they would try to adapt the mechanics of each Rider to the game, but it would be chaotic considering the numerous forms of each Rider as of Heisei Era Phase 2, for example, Build easily has more than 20 forms with his own abilities and that's speaking about best matches seen in the series, not in the specials, movies or toys. The same can be said about Wizard, Gain, Double, Drive, OOO and I can go on.
I'd love an ArcSys Rider or Sentai game. I think Sentai is more doable, largely for the reason you said Rider would be difficult (WAY less forms to account for) but Rider would be more hype. Personally I'd be OK if they just did forms that would be good gameplay wise and maybe linked other forms to specials (They did this a bit in FighterZ) but it'd definitely be one of those "can't please everyone" projects.

• Love
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Aug 8, 2022
On the Air - Peter Gabriel (no, YouTube, not the non-existent "on the air tonight" by Phil Collins; sigh...)

Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
"On the floor" by Perfume Genius

• Love
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020