• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

1MiserableGuy

Experienced
Dec 30, 2023
Here are some of mine:

1. Using the word "like" as a placeholder for your sentence. People who shoehorn "like" into the same sentence four or five times are so committed to not listening to you, that they spoke before thinking out their response and the "like" is simply buying time for them to think of what to say next. These people talk for their health.

2. Using the word "literally" when there's no figure of speech at play. Holy fucking God I hate this one. People under 25 have such poor rhetorical skills, they have stripped all meaning away from this word to create in its place another way to connote emphasis. Now all "literally" means is "I REALLY mean it so please listen to me"

3. The word "but" altogether. "And" is additionally, "or" is aternatively, "but" is always followed up with some absolute contradictory horse shit.

surroundedbydemons

surroundedbydemons

Experienced
Mar 6, 2024
Pronunciation. I don't like that it is not mapped 1-1 to the spelling.

2. Using the word "literally" when there's no figure of speech at play. Holy fucking God I hate this one. People under 25 have such poor rhetorical skills, they have stripped all meaning away from this word to create in its place another way to connote emphasis. Now all "literally" means is "I REALLY mean it so please listen to me"
Can you give some examples? What if you just failed to detect a potential hidden meaning?
1. Using the word "like" as a placeholder for your sentence. People who shoehorn "like" into the same sentence four or five times are so committed to not listening to you, that they spoke before thinking out their response and the "like" is simply buying time for them to think of what to say next. These people talk for their health.
I suspect they just do not think very much before saying the complete sentence. I actually prefer "like" to "uggh," "aaaaa," etc.

1MiserableGuy

Experienced
Dec 30, 2023
Can you give some examples? What if you just failed to detect a potential hidden meaning?
Saying shit like "I literally just did that" or "I literally drove all the way out there" instead of, say "There is literally an elephant in the room". This issue has gotten so bad, it is now a dictionary definition for the word.

Reactions: HuskyD'hiver
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Unless if someone is using certain words incorrectly I honestly don't really give a crap. Yeah, sometimes there are quirks that are annoying but it's not that big of a deal. Language evolves overtime so we must accept that.

I only have an issue with the incorrect usage of certain words because of the potential harm it can cause. For example, people like the throw around the words "groomer" and "pedophile" whenever they are talking about someone or a group of people they don't like, even though that causes those words to lose their weight and meaning overtime. There's also the use of the word "allergies" when describing a food intolerance, which is also dangerous since food intolerances are very different from food allergies and food allergies are actually a lot more dangerous. Using the two terms interchangeably can be dangerous, especially if you were in a medical setting, since those two issues require very different treatment and urgency. A final example of this is the incorrect use of terms from AAVE, since it is already bad enough that people use words from that dialect and label it as "Gen Z slang", but misusing words from it and causing those words to lose all their meaning is just insulting.

Otherwise, I don't tend to really give that much of shit.

1MiserableGuy

Experienced
Dec 30, 2023
Unless if someone is using certain words incorrectly I honestly don't really give a crap. Yeah, sometimes there are quirks that are annoying but it's not that big of a deal. Language evolves overtime so we must accept that.

I only have an issue with the incorrect usage of certain words because of the potential harm it can cause. For example, people like the throw around the words "groomer" and "pedophile" whenever they are talking about someone or a group of people they don't like, even though that causes those words to lose their weight and meaning overtime. There's also the use of the word "allergies" when describing a food intolerance, which is also dangerous since food intolerances are very different from food allergies and food allergies are actually a lot more dangerous. Using the two terms interchangeably can be dangerous, especially if you were in a medical setting, since those two issues require very different treatment and urgency. A final example of this is the incorrect use of terms from AAVE, since it is already bad enough that people use words from that dialect and label it as "Gen Z slang", but misusing words from it and causing those words to lose all their meaning is just insulting.

Otherwise, I don't tend to really give that much of shit.
Couldn't even tell you what aave is

1MiserableGuy

Experienced
Dec 30, 2023
African American Vernacular English.
Okay, I've always just heard that called ebonics. There is an attempt to mix all the unique world cultures up into one to form a global government, so what you're describing isn't going away any time soon.

W

wCvML2

Nov 15, 2021
The word "just" is unnecessary in the title and could be considered a quirk when overused. I used to be guilty of overusing it, so I can not overlook it.

WoNkEy_DoNkEy

WoNkEy_DoNkEy

More Useless Than A Chocolate Teapot 🫖
Apr 6, 2024
The fact that unlike other countries we don't have those things around the letters that denote how you pronounce a word (forget what they're called). Like this > éëä

1MiserableGuy

Experienced
Dec 30, 2023
The fact that unlike other countries we don't have those things around the letters that denote how you pronounce a word (forget what they're called). Like this > éëä
Hebrew has them but only for beginners. Fluent speakers don't use them

G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
The way we in U.K keep adopting and using more 'American English' ( even American pronunciation occasionally ) instead of our own English. Its just irritating sometimes.
(Please note I do not dislike America or American people in any way. It is a great country , with great people , in many ways. )

1MiserableGuy

Experienced
Dec 30, 2023
The way we in U.K keep adopting and using more 'American English' ( even American pronunciation occasionally ) instead of our own English. Its just irritating sometimes.
(Please note I do not dislike America or American people in any way. It is a great country , with great people , in many ways. )
The southeast United States is the last basttion of freedom left on planet earth. Once whatever remains of it is destroyed, we're all fucked.

WhenTheyCry

WhenTheyCry

if only this was just a simulation
Jun 25, 2022
The southeast United States is the last basttion of freedom left on planet earth. Once whatever remains of it is destroyed, we're all fucked.
Freedom to die from a lack of healthcare.

Edit: dying slowly from a disease is no fun, if I want to die it must be done on my own terms, preferably in the most peaceful way possible

Last edited:
HuskyD'hiver

HuskyD'hiver

Je meurs chaque jour...
Oct 14, 2023
Holy shit, this one pisses me off so much. I feel like I'm going to have a brain aneurysm anytime someone does this. English is just a shit language in my opinion and it's my mother tongue. This language has an inconceivable amount of inconsistencies and it is confusing why this is considered the "global" and "practical" language.

LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
🙄

Languages evolve, deal with it.

Reactions: 4am
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
Let me take a wild guess. Next you'll say it's in the dictionary
I asked you a question. Plain English. You're dodging it? Let me take a wild guess. You don't have one. No expertise, no opinion. Languages evolve whether you like it or not. Bye :kiss: