W

wendydong1

Experienced
Jul 31, 2019
stuff that you would normally keep, but throwing out since you are preparing to die

I am moving, but hopefully, this is my last move before I can finally die this year. So i am using this move to clear out stuff that I would normally keep. I am opening boxes that has not opened last several moves, and see stuff like christmas cards that my ex bf gave me, the letters that my parents wrote when I was in US and they were in china. Yes, years and years ago, there's no whatsapp, wechat, etc, and the international phone cards were pretty expensive, my parents wrote to me through Airmail... I kept them along with all the other momentos in couple boxes. Now I am dumping most, keeping a few that I think I would leave to my parents. I just started balling by myself, and my dog got all worried.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: azucaramargo and Fragile
Lethe

Lethe

Fey
Sep 19, 2019
I used to be very emotionally invested in my possessions, but now I don't have much attachment to earthly things, really. I think it's good to be that way, whether one is suicidal or not. Can't take it with you, after all.

Reactions: alexK
K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
I can imagine it feeling horrible throwing out stuff that's been gifted to you,especially by someone who's passed.
That's why I now ask people to please not give me gifts,especially things that do not serve a specific purpose. I've seen people's homes fill up with rubbish that just requires cleaning and is essentially useless,but they can't bear to throw it out because they are emotionally attached to it. When you do die,your nearest and dearest just gets to deal with that problem on your behalf.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'm sorry you are going through this.
When my brother and sister forced me to move last year they cleared out my home.
They gave away all mum and dad's old oak furniture. Anything they couldn't give to junk stores they destroyed.
They went through my things and told me what I could keep and what would go. I did have some say in it but I ended up losing so many things I cherished on top of losing my home.
I had made a pile of things from the garden I wanted to keep but they ignored it, even took some of it for themselves.
And my garage full of tools they threw most of the them away and left me with crap. I've got five yard brushes outside and not one spade. Why?
I let them do it because I had no choice, no power left at all and I assumed I'd be dead soon anyway so why care?
And here I still am in this grubby little place missing half the things I cherished. All those memories that connected me to the past and my home, all gone.
Now I feel anger.
Maybe soon others will feel my anger too.

Last edited:
departing

departing

Enlightened
Jul 5, 2019
I donated and threw out a lot of my stuff a few months ago. It wasn't nearly as emotional as I thought it would be. Right now, I'm down to the bare essentials.