• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
I've been researching some of the methods posted here and I have some more questions about CO poisoning(Carbon monoxide).
I just bought a new CO meter that measures up 10,000PPM(freaking expensive!!!) and I'll be buying a gas operated generator hopefully soon. I know generators can be very loud so in this case I'll be buying earplugs/ear-protection to die in peace at least.

1) Are gas generators more expensive if I buy one during the winter? Are they available to buy all year or just during the warmer seasons?

2) I've read that gas generators produce up to 85,000PPM of CO is this true or it depends on the generator?

3) There's a possibility that I might drive far away from the city and go to the woods/forest and ctb there. If I operate the generator inside my car, would my car melt or explode?

4) If I buy a generator and don't use it for couple of months or even up to a year, do I have to change the oil or do other maintenance chores to prevent any damage to the engine or battery?

5) When I'm ready to ctb, I'll leave the generator running in my car and I'll be standing outside waiting. Every 20 minutes I'll be checking the PPM using the meter by opening my back window. All Doors and fan holes will be sealed with duct tape except the front driver door so I can get in when the PPM is high. I've realized some cars(including mine) the area where the brakes and gas pedals are located is exposed to the outside a bit. Would this be a problem? How can I seal that area to prevent CO from escaping?

6) Some generators do not have any safety certification (listed on certain websites) such as CARB etc. Does that mean that it does not have safety sensors?

I apologize for the amount of questions.
I hope you'll be able to help me out.
It looks like I'm getting closer to the goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimeToBiteTheDust, rancho and pthnrdnojvsc
This_sux ✓

This_sux ✓

Forever alone
Aug 6, 2020
Are you sure you want to buy a generator and seal a whole room? In my opinion it looks like a waste of cash and time to set it up. In most cases you will need just two deep breaths to pass out and eventually die.

Reactions: Emily_Numb
T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
Are you sure you want to buy a generator and seal a whole room? In my opinion it looks like a waste of cash and time to set it up. In most cases you will need just two deep breaths to pass out and eventually die.

I will be sealing my car.
I cannot do this indoors.
bump

Reactions: Cowtipper
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Not sure about the answers to your questions?

I am replying to say I fully applaud your preparedness, and am wishing you well in the decisions you are to make going forward.

Reactions: Cowtipper and Thanatos123
T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
Not sure about the answers to your questions?

I am replying to say I fully applaud your preparedness, and am wishing you well in the decisions you are to make going forward.

Thank you! :)

I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but I think I'm slowly getting there.
Soon I will be writing a will and leave all of my money to my wife(we're unable to have children) and to my parents.
However, I need to find the answers I'm looking for(in my original post) to make sure everything will go as smooth as possible.
The main issue with me seeking to ctb is because I have a severe disability that is progressing quickly into full blown blindness.
I'd like to end my misery, for I cannot live with this condition and I don't want be a burden on others.
I hope you'll find peace and rest!

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Spitfire, oraldine2, jaybeex2 and 4 others
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
I would be careful when using the CO meter. I never knew the generators were 85,000ppm!! that will KILL your METER with hardly any exposure to that high amount. Although i have a meter, that switches off the built in pump used for measuring CO ,when the readings get too high(i'd be skeptical even using that!)

T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
I would be careful when using the CO meter. I never knew the generators were 85,000ppm!! that will KILL your METER with hardly any exposure to that high amount. Although i have a meter, that switches off the built in pump used for measuring CO ,when the readings get too high(i'd be skeptical even using that!)

Thank you for letting me know!
I strongly appreciate it!

So high PPMs could potentially harm/kill the meter?
I'm guessing I won't be needing it once I reach 12,000PPM or higher.
Someone(I believe on the CO poisoning megathread) mentioned that generators could reach up to 85,000PPM. I'm not sure how the poster came up with those numbers.
I'll be doing some more research before buying one to make sure it doesn't meet those safety regulations such as CARB.

I hope the generator won't melt or damage the interior and exterior of my car.

• Hugs
Reactions: Cowtipper and checkouttime
BigLucs

BigLucs

M-23 NC. Don't want to turn 24.
Apr 30, 2020
The generator in the car will be very loud, but in theory it will definitely work. As long as you can carry it and operate it, go for it.

1. Generators are available year round. Camping and/or hardware stores will have them. The price will likely not change depending on the season.

2. Definitely depends on the generator. Some are greener than others. Older generators will pump off more fumes

3. This is where the issues start. Depending on your car, the seats could start to melt after hours of exposure (assuming you dont turn it off before passing out.). Also, the car will heat very quickly. CO is only produced if something is burned, and burning stuff puts off a lot of heat. It could be well over 100F before you get into the car. A generator is just an engine, think about how much heat your car puts off. Explosion unlikely.

4. After a month? You're fine. After a year? Maybe some maintenance should be done. Its generally pretty easy on generators though. Owners manual will give you all the specifics. This all depends on the gen you choose. Oil changes and refueling are the least of your worries.

5. Tape from the inside and the outside. CO is lighter than air and will rise, so the pedal holes probably wont be a problem. If it gives you peace of mind just go ahead and cover them. Safety first!

6. Safety sensors? Like turning off because theres too much CO?? Never heard of anything like that but it could be around. Doubt it though.

Reactions: dana and pthnrdnojvsc
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
Thank you for letting me know!
I strongly appreciate it!

So high PPMs could potentially harm/kill the meter?
I'm guessing I won't be needing it once I reach 12,000PPM or higher.
Someone(I believe on the CO poisoning megathread) mentioned that generators could reach up to 85,000PPM. I'm not sure how the poster came up with those numbers.
I'll be doing some more research before buying one to make sure it doesn't meet those safety regulations such as CARB.

I hope the generator won't melt or damage the interior and exterior of my car.

Well i guess it depends what meter you have, my old one was damaged by high CO for too long while testing boilers. My new one turns off the pump in it, when too high CO, to stop it damaging the cells. also after testing for CO, you should 'purge' the machine in fresh air. I wouldn't be too comfortable sticking my new machine in 85,000ppm let alone my old one!!

In regards to the generator, it depends how hot it gets.you defo don't want an exhaust etc near something fabric.you don't want things melting and setting on fire for sure!! I don't know what generators you have seen. one's i have used have like a metal 'roll cage' around them

T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
The generator in the car will be very loud, but in theory it will definitely work. As long as you can carry it and operate it, go for it.

1. Generators are available year round. Camping and/or hardware stores will have them. The price will likely not change depending on the season.

2. Definitely depends on the generator. Some are greener than others. Older generators will pump off more fumes

3. This is where the issues start. Depending on your car, the seats could start to melt after hours of exposure (assuming you dont turn it off before passing out.). Also, the car will heat very quickly. CO is only produced if something is burned, and burning stuff puts off a lot of heat. It could be well over 100F before you get into the car. A generator is just an engine, think about how much heat your car puts off. Explosion unlikely.

4. After a month? You're fine. After a year? Maybe some maintenance should be done. Its generally pretty easy on generators though. Owners manual will give you all the specifics. This all depends on the gen you choose. Oil changes and refueling are the least of your worries.

5. Tape from the inside and the outside. CO is lighter than air and will rise, so the pedal holes probably wont be a problem. If it gives you peace of mind just go ahead and cover them. Safety first!

6. Safety sensors? Like turning off because theres too much CO?? Never heard of anything like that but it could be around. Doubt it though.

Thank you for the reply!
I never knew I had to tape the doors from the outside too. Good to know!
I think it's best to do this method during the winter(November - March) since the temps generated by the generator are high.
My car seats are made of fabric and I was wondering if there are ways to minimize the melting?
Well i guess it depends what meter you have, my old one was damaged by high CO for too long while testing boilers. My new one turns off the pump in it, when too high CO, to stop it damaging the cells. also after testing for CO, you should 'purge' the machine in fresh air. I wouldn't be too comfortable sticking my new machine in 85,000ppm let alone my old one!!

In regards to the generator, it depends how hot it gets.you defo don't want an exhaust etc near something fabric.you don't want things melting and setting on fire for sure!! I don't know what generators you have seen. one's i have used have like a metal 'roll cage' around them

How does the metal roll cage look like?
Did it come with your generator when you bought it?

R

rancho

Student
Jul 21, 2020
I've been intrigued by a generator for awhile. Are they so loud to wake up the next door neighbor? I would put it in the bathroom and the houses are brick with a driveway between them.

The car totally concerns me. I don't know how you don't have a fire at some point?

Reactions: Klee
T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
I've been intrigued by a generator for awhile. Are they so loud to wake up the next door neighbor? I would put it in the bathroom and the houses are brick with a driveway between them.

The car totally concerns me. I don't know how you don't have a fire at some point?

I'm concerned about that issue as well.
The problem is that I cannot do this at home because my wife is staying home because of the pandemic.
Plus I don't want to traumatize her.

I wouldn't mind trying this method in a small bathroom, but I'm not sure how I can do that.
I've thought of renting an apartment or house/airbnb just to try this but I have some issues with this idea as well.
CO could travel through walls and the generator is very loud so I don't want to endanger the lives of others plus the loud noise would raise suspicion.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas regarding location because right now I'm completely lost.

R

rancho

Student
Jul 21, 2020
I'm concerned about that issue as well.
The problem is that I cannot do this at home because my wife is staying home because of the pandemic.
Plus I don't want to traumatize her.

I wouldn't mind trying this method in a small bathroom, but I'm not sure how I can do that.
I've thought of renting an apartment or house/airbnb just to try this but I have some issues with this idea as well.
CO could travel through walls and the generator is very loud so I don't want to endanger the lives of others plus the loud noise would raise suspicion.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas regarding location because right now I'm completely lost.

How about renting a cabin for yourself?

T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
How about renting a cabin for yourself?

Thank you for the quick reply!
I've never thought of that.
The reason why it never crossed my mind is because I've always thought that I'd be surrounded by people.
Also, the generator could raise the suspension.

I'll do some research and look into renting a cabin. Hopefully I'll find something good.

Reactions: rancho
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
Thank you for the reply!
I never knew I had to tape the doors from the outside too. Good to know!
I think it's best to do this method during the winter(November - March) since the temps generated by the generator are high.
My car seats are made of fabric and I was wondering if there are ways to minimize the melting?

How does the metal roll cage look like?
Did it come with your generator when you bought it?

yes the generator comes with the metal cage around, Is this what type of generator you guys talk about???

If the type of generator is the same as the picture i have posted? they are loud, its a petrol engine. Iv'e used one indoors and it was loud!!!!!! new ones may be a little more quiet, but the end of the day its a petrol engine....so noisey!

Last edited:
T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
yes the generator comes with the metal cage around, Is this what type of generator you guys talk about???

If the type of generator is the same as the picture i have posted? they are loud, its a petrol engine. Iv'e used one indoors and it was loud!!!!!! new ones may be a little more quiet, but the end of the day its a petrol engine....so noisey!

Thank you for posting the picture.
The one I wanted to buy was a portable one without the metal cage around it.

Hmm...now I have two fundamental issues I have to solve.
1) Find or build a secluded structure or a cabin outdoors that is able to handle high temps and I have to find a way to seal it.
2) The generator must not be placed close to fabrics or anything that could melt.

CarbonMonoxide

CarbonMonoxide

Marejeo ni ngamani
Oct 13, 2019
This post is well thought out and I'd like to thank you for taking the time. However, I want to point something out, the generator can't run for hours inside a car with locked windows and doors. This is because of the limited amount of oxygen to aid in the combustion process. Once the available oxygen in the car is used up, the generator will automatically shut down. There will be no fire in the car, neither will there be an explosion.

Consciousness will be lost very quickly. In the case presented in the link below, CO levels rose to 500 ppm in a mere 30 seconds. Within a minute levels were so high that they couldn't be measured using conventional meters. Gasoline generators have been recorded emitting as high as 120,000 ppm of CO in enclosed areas. 10,000 ppm will kill you in seconds. Another advantage of the generator is that once it goes off, there will be no more CO emission like when using a barbecue. This reduces danger for those who find your body. Read the case below and you'll notice how quick and painless it must have been for the middle aged man.

Reactions: jaybeex2, Thanatos123 and pthnrdnojvsc
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
Thank you for posting the picture.
The one I wanted to buy was a portable one without the metal cage around it.

Hmm...now I have two fundamental issues I have to solve.
1) Find or build a secluded structure or a cabin outdoors that is able to handle high temps and I have to find a way to seal it.
2) The generator must not be placed close to fabrics or anything that could melt.

that is portable! I had an idea some of you guys were talking about, possibly a different type. Thats a petrol generator, you would use on a building site. probably a campsite,in the UK anyway.

do you have a picture of what one looks like?

pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
This post is well thought out and I'd like to thank you for taking the time. However, I want to point something out, the generator can't run for hours inside a car with locked windows and doors. This is because of the limited amount of oxygen to aid in the combustion process. Once the available oxygen in the car is used up, the generator will automatically shut down. There will be no fire in the car, neither will there be an explosion.

Consciousness will be lost very quickly. In the case presented in the link below, CO levels rose to 500 ppm in a mere 30 seconds. Within a minute levels were so high that they couldn't be measured using conventional meters. Gasoline generators have been recorded emitting as high as 120,000 ppm of CO in enclosed areas. 10,000 ppm will kill you in seconds. Another advantage of the generator is that once it goes off, there will be no more CO emission like when using a barbecue. This reduces danger for those who find your body. Read the case below and you'll notice how quick and painless it must have been for the middle aged man.

1-s2.0-S0379073813005392-gr2.jpg

So a mini-van works .I wonder what is the brand of that generator. What is that green hose for ?

Reactions: Lastsauce and checkouttime
T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
I guess high temperature is generated by generator exhaust? What if it's in the winter or up north in a van ,truck?
I think if I'm not mistaken the temps could reach up to 40 Celsius or 100 Fahrenheit.
The winter months might help a bit, but if the generator is placed inside of a car that is sealed from inside and outside with duct tape, it will be toasty in there.

Thank you for the link!
This was a very interesting read.
I've also thought of building a small cabin or buy a prebuild shed and duct tape all the holes.
I'd place the generator there and let it run for some time and I'd measure the CO levels often until 10,000PPM is reached.
Once that's ready, I'll step in and take a deep breath.
that is portable! I had an idea some of you guys were talking about, possibly a different type. Thats a petrol generator, you would use on a building site. probably a campsite,in the UK anyway.

do you have a picture of what one looks like?

Oops I just realized that we're talking about the same thing.
The one I found had two small wheels. But other than that, it looks pretty much the same as the one you posted.
I'm a bit confused(I've never owned a generator) some generators are gas operated, but a lot of people are talking about oil instead of gas. I'm assuming gas is used to operate it and oil is used for lubrication?

Last edited:
Reactions: checkouttime and pthnrdnojvsc
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
I think if I'm not mistaken the temps could reach up to 40 Celsius or 100 Fahrenheit.
The winter months might help a bit, but if the generator is placed inside of a car that is sealed from inside and outside with duct tape, it will be toasty in there.

Thank you for the link!
I've also thought of building a small cabin or buy a prebuild shed and duct tape all the holes.
I'd place the generator there and let it run for some time and I'd measure the CO levels often until 10,000PPM is reached.
I would hold my breath before stepping in or wear a gas mask . This way i can close the door and lock myself inside. Once locked inside then i would breathe the co in and pass out instantly. With 10,000 ppm you could go unconscious within seconds before you have a chance to close the door which would leave the door open and the co won't remain high enough .still death might ensue either way but an increased chance of death would be in enclosed cabin, or min-van.

T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
I would hold my breath before stepping in or wear a gas mask . This way i can close the door and lock myself inside. Once locked inside then i would breathe the co in and pass out instantly. With 10,000 ppm you could go unconscious within seconds before you have a chance to close the door which would leave the door open and the co won't remain high enough .still death might ensue either way but an increased chance of death would be in enclosed cabin, or min-van.

Wow thanks for the tip!
I'll start looking for a gas mask as well.
Is there a specific type of gas mask that would work best for CO?

C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for the link!

Oops I just realized that we're talking about the same thing.
The one I found had two small wheels. But other than that, it looks pretty much the same as the one you posted.
I'm a bit confused(I've never owned a generator) some generators are gas operated, but a lot of people are talking about oil instead of gas. I'm assuming gas is used to operate it and oil is used for lubrication?

I don't know about oil ones? But i know that the 'gas' ones you talk about are 'petrol' to me lol. Wheras i have central heating that runs off 'gas'. this is where the difference in where we live come into play!!!!!! the central heating 'gas' and the generator 'petrol' would both be plausible to CTB in my case!!!

Checkmate3

Checkmate3

Student
Aug 15, 2020
CO isn't my method, but out of interest I was just looking at some portable generators online and noticed that they all have a "CO shutdown sensor".

If you inadvertently use the generator indoors or in an enclosed space, CO-sense will automatically shut off your unit when increased CO is detected.

I wonder if this feature can be turned off, or was it specifically designed for smartasses like us and can't be tempered with?

T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
I don't know about oil ones? But i know that the 'gas' ones you talk about are 'petrol' to me lol. Wheras i have central heating that runs off 'gas'. this is where the difference in where we live come into play!!!!!! the central heating 'gas' and the generator 'petrol' would both be plausible to CTB in my case!!!

Absolutely lol

Lastsauce

Lastsauce

Experienced
Dec 22, 2019
@Thanatos123 You will need a canister type catalytic filter for hogh concentration carbon monoxide.
Don't get one with just activated carbon.

T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
CO isn't my method, but out of interest I was just looking at some portable generators online and noticed that they all have a "CO shutdown sensor".

If you inadvertently use the generator indoors or in an enclosed space, CO-sense will automatically shut off your unit when increased CO is detected.

I wonder if this feature can be turned off, or was it specifically designed for smartasses like us and can't be tempered with?

I think some newer generators have this feature.
Some generators have to meet certain laws and regulations such as California's CARB regulation.
Older generators may lack this mechanism and it may not shut off when a lot of CO is in the air.
@Thanatos123 You will need a canister type catalytic filter for hogh concentration carbon monoxide.
Don't get one with just activated carbon.

Thank you for the tip!
What is exactly a canister catalytic filter?
I've never heard of it.

EDIT: Sorry is this for the gas mask or the generator?

Last edited:
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020

I would hazard a guess if their as a problem with the sensor then the machine won't work, thats a guess though. just based on work i have done,with appliances that release CO
Older generators may lack this mechanism and it may not shut off when a lot of CO is in the air.

just as older cars don't have the safety functions of new ones:wink:

Last edited:
T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020

Sorry, I wanted to ask one more thing:
for number 3 - you said that the heat could rise very quickly and the temperature could exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius.
I think anything below 60 degrees Celsius should be fine in terms of melting.
What is your opinion on this?

I'm also concerned about the plastic interior of the car.
I'm planning to leave my car to a loved one in order to sell it and use the money for my cremation.

T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
I just found out that two of the generators I'm interested to buy are eTL, EPA and CARB certified.
Does that mean that the generator will shut down if a large amount of CO is in the air?