slamjoetry

slamjoetry

Nobody likes you when you're 23
Apr 19, 2024
For all of my life, I've felt extremely depressed and suicidal and it's something I can hardly control. All I want to do is open up to somebody about it, but every time I do, they ghost me and never talk to me again. The few times I've gotten an explanation, they tell me it's because I'm just being "manipulative". The ironic thing is most of these people claim to be aware and accepting of mental illness (one even worked at a psych ward!), but the moment they meet someone with a mental illness beyond "i get sad sometimes" they don't know how to handle it and assume the other person must be lying. It's so frustrating and it makes me feel even more alone in the world. Anyone else experience this?

• Hugs
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, wren-briar, Reflection and 3 others
Reflection

Reflection

One last hurrah
Sep 12, 2024
The most fucked up part is that usually when someone goes through with it and fail they still call it manipulation. It's like they wanna see you dead to verify you were actually burning inside.

• Love
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov and wren-briar
thenorthern

thenorthern

Student
Sep 19, 2024
I see people confuse this sometimes. Demanding change from others while holding your CTB over their head is manipulation. Just being suicidal or explaining thoughts to them is absolutely not.

Reactions: Emeralds and alienfreak
Reflection

Reflection

One last hurrah
Sep 12, 2024
I see people confuse this sometimes. Demanding change from others while holding your CTB over their head is manipulation. Just being suicidal or explaining thoughts to them is absolutely not.
A lot of people don't do it with that intent though, unless they are dealing with a narcissist the person they're asking to change what is hurting them should probably reflect on what they did that caused that reaction; We usually tend to put all negative behaviors in the same bag regardless of the situation, which is very wrong in my opinion.

thenorthern

thenorthern

Student
Sep 19, 2024
A lot of people don't do it with that intent though, unless they are dealing with a narcissist the person they're asking to change what is hurting them should probably reflect on what they did that caused that reaction;
Well, depends. Would call it manipulation still if you are trying to change them. Even if they are good or bad. I have heard of people basically forcing themselves into someones home with the threat of suicide. Shit situation though, huh?

Reflection

Reflection

One last hurrah
Sep 12, 2024
Well, depends. Would call it manipulation still if you are trying to change them. Even if they are good or bad. I have heard of people basically forcing themselves into someones home with the threat of suicide. Shit situation though, huh?
Of course it's not all black and white, and as I stated, one should try to weigh the situation as fairly as possible. What happens a lot instead is that people tend to be dismissive regardless of what they might've done, letting things escalate to that point is a mistake in and of itself; even the best people might find themselves exhibiting harmful/negative behaviors under certain circumstances; So just labeling it as manipulation to paint them in a bad light is not right in my opinion.

Emeralds

Emeralds

Aug 29, 2024
A lot of people don't do it with that intent though, unless they are dealing with a narcissist the person they're asking to change what is hurting them should probably reflect on what they did that caused that reaction; We usually tend to put all negative behaviors in the same bag regardless of the situation, which is very wrong in my opinion.

A Narcissist always thinks they are better than everyone else. They never take any responsibility for their own actions. They blame other people. They aren't likely to reflect on their own actions or take the blame for anything. They won't blame themselves for someone's death even if the person tells them they are responsible for their death.

Reactions: Reflection
Reflection

Reflection

One last hurrah
Sep 12, 2024
A Narcissist always thinks they are better than everyone else. They never take any responsibility for their own actions. They blame other people. They aren't likely to reflect on their own actions or take the blame for anything. They won't blame themselves for someone's death even if the person tells them they are responsible for their death.
I agree with that, though it seems that more and more people lean in towards absolving themselves from any accountability and justify their actions, or lack thereof under the guise of self agency and instead put all the burden on the suicidal person....Some people will literally contribute to shit hitting the fan and then run away from the shitstorm they stirred.