AboutTimeToDepart

AboutTimeToDepart

Apr 8, 2024
Hiya - as the title says, I'm wondering if there are any methods that people think would help overcome the SI that comes along with standing on the edge.

3 times now, I've stood at the edge, with the intention of jumping, but each time, I just... can't. I've tried during the day, when I can see the drop (bad idea, as it turns out!), and even at night, where I cannot see the ground - I thought that the lack of visiblity would make it easier somehow? Once again, wrong...

Each time, during the drive down, I'm calm, fully comfortable with the idea of catchin' the bus, but for some reason as soon as I reach the edge, my brain just says nah...

I've considered alchohol, but any mention of that I see on this site is genuinely met with people advising against it, since it apparently relaxes muscles which can soften the impact to the organs. Not sure how much this would matter if I hit my head at the bottom, but idk.

Jumping is really the only method I have access to. Hanging, which does appeal to me, would require a solitary location that I won't be found in, which I don't really have access to.

Any other ideas, besides alchohol which could give me the 'edge' as it were, to finally make the jump?

• Hugs
Reactions: itsnigh
NegevChina

NegevChina

Student
Sep 5, 2024
Jumping for me is the only reliable method. I've been to the location at day and night just to see how it feels. I think I'll attempt at night. Dont know about SI, I think I'll try lots of benzos.

Reactions: AboutTimeToDepart
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
Hiya - as the title says, I'm wondering if there are any methods that people think would help overcome the SI that comes along with standing on the edge.

3 times now, I've stood at the edge, with the intention of jumping, but each time, I just... can't. I've tried during the day, when I can see the drop (bad idea, as it turns out!), and even at night, where I cannot see the ground - I thought that the lack of visiblity would make it easier somehow? Once again, wrong...

Each time, during the drive down, I'm calm, fully comfortable with the idea of catchin' the bus, but for some reason as soon as I reach the edge, my brain just says nah...

I've considered alchohol, but any mention of that I see on this site is genuinely met with people advising against it, since it apparently relaxes muscles which can soften the impact to the organs. Not sure how much this would matter if I hit my head at the bottom, but idk.

Jumping is really the only method I have access to. Hanging, which does appeal to me, would require a solitary location that I won't be found in, which I don't really have access to.

Any other ideas, besides alchohol which could give me the 'edge' as it were, to finally make the jump?
Is there any known documented cases where someone has survived a high enough fall for CTB, just because they drank alcohol prior? Does anyone know? I can't personally imagine jumping without having had alcohol if I were to go with that as a method.

Reactions: AboutTimeToDepart
bitofftoomuch

bitofftoomuch

hold onto those who accept your messy self
Jul 1, 2024
The thing is that at a certain height it doesn't matter much how a person falls. They will die unless a miracle happens.

NASA has found it's near impossible to survive heights that are higher than 12 meters (40 feet). https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19930020462 At such heights, alcohol will likely not save a person, so getting plastered could be effective means, theoretically speakinng, to overcome SI.

libertybellreplica

libertybellreplica

Oct 14, 2024
I think alcohol are any other inhibition drug would be your best bet. I hope you find what your looking for.

athiestjoe

athiestjoe

Passenger
Sep 24, 2024
Is there any known documented cases where someone has survived a high enough fall for CTB, just because they drank alcohol prior? Does anyone know?
Not off the top of my head, and unlike say freezing to death in the ocean where maybe someone drunk when an oceanliner went down (cough Titanic cough) and were deemed to have survives perhaps their BAC was elevated, I do not see much benefit or harm when it comes to drinking. The reason it is deadly is because of the splat factor (due to velocity and the studden stoppage at the end; on impact it is simply not copacetic to human living). There might be cases though. Just like there might be a chance I get bit by a shark in the ocean, anything is possible! There is a story online about some Russian guy named Alexei Roskov who allegedly survived twice from jumping for a 5th story building while drunk. (1) Who knows if it is true and (2) who knows if it was because he was drunk. The 'articles' are all skimpy on any real details assuming it even truly happened. Now with that said, there are claims of the following:

Alcohol beforehand is not advisable since it relaxes the muscles. Relaxed muscles protect internal organs

While that might have a little possible truth, the reality is if someone picks an adequate height I truly do not foresee the fact someone has booze in them being the make it or break it for why they lived or died.

NASA has found it's near impossible to survive heights that are higher than 12 meters (40 feet). https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19930020462
I don't think that document has the assertion being made there. Plenty of people have survived those falls, and of course the wild stories of people who have fallen from much, much crazy amounts higher and lived (flukes, but again that directly is imcompatible with the 'idea' it is 'near impossible' to survive). Trauma studies seem to indicate that a fall from the fourth floor (about 48 feet) has a 50% survival rate (which is higher than your claim that "NASA" says 40 ft is near impossible, again that is not true, and a fall from a seventh floor (about 84 feet) has only a 10% survival rate. There are reports of people falling from extreme heights (over 400-500 feet in some cases) and surviving.

It is all about reliability and mitigating risk as falling from heights then surviving and just being in more pain and suffering than before is a huge risk which is why most people pick heights with enough distance to reduce the chances of survival.

For educational purposes, here's a "Splat Calculator"!

I'm wondering if there are any methods that people think would help overcome the SI

This post may be helpful (maybe not though): Scientific Approach to Understanding SI and Discussion on Tools to Minimze SI Factors

With whatever you decide, I wish you all the best and hope you find everything you are looking for and get peace & serenity.

• Informative
Reactions: AboutTimeToDepart and lionetta12