ZemTee

ZemTee

Dec 11, 2019
Over the past week I've gotten about 9 hours of sleep, as far as I can calculate. With 168 hours in a week, I'm assuming this is highly abnormal. I've had Insomnia before, but this is different. It's not that sleep is difficult, but comes later and irregularly as I've had in the past. No, rather sleep just doesn't really happen. The nights have consisted of 4 hours of sleep once, 2 hours twice, 1 hour once, and going on 3 nights of none or a few minutes (I believe I managed to doze off for 15 minutes last night tues 12/10 - wed 12/11). The 4 hours was sunday night to monday morning (12/8-12/9) and I haven't really slept since. Interestingly, this hasn't really effected me all that much. I think I've been eating a wee bit less, and I may be slightly less energetic, but I can function just as normal. I haven't slacked off in any notable way, I'm about as strong as ever, and unless I'm completely delusional, I'm as lucid as ever.

I'm not really bothered by this, just interested. I mean what's the worst that could happen? I might die? Well, no complaints there.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, how or did this period end? Is this just typical of insomnia and I'm making a mountain out of a molehill? Feel free to share any experience.

• Hugs
Reactions: Moonicide, Qdv, Circles and 1 other person
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Over the past week I've gotten about 9 hours of sleep, as far as I can calculate. With 168 hours in a week, I'm assuming this is highly abnormal. I've had Insomnia before, but this is different. It's not that sleep is difficult, but comes later and irregularly as I've had in the past. No, rather sleep just doesn't really happen. The nights have consisted of 4 hours of sleep once, 2 hours twice, 1 hour once, and going on 3 nights of none or a few minutes (I believe I managed to doze off for 15 minutes last night tues 12/10 - wed 12/11). The 4 hours was sunday night to monday morning (12/8-12/9) and I haven't really slept since. Interestingly, this hasn't really effected me all that much. I think I've been eating a wee bit less, and I may be slightly less energetic, but I can function just as normal. I haven't slacked off in any notable way, I'm about as strong as ever, and unless I'm completely delusional, I'm as lucid as ever.

I'm not really bothered by this, just interested. I mean what's the worst that could happen? I might die? Well, no complaints there.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, how or did this period end? Is this just typical of insomnia and I'm making a mountain out of a molehill? Feel free to share any experience.

It's not typical insomnia no. I've been going on 2-4 hours a night now for years though. It's pretty bad for you in the long run but like you said, what's the worst that could happen to someone in our situation?

Mine started when I was trying to juggle 2 jobs, school, and family. It's just persisted ever since and I've honestly adjusted to it. It can of course be corrected but it's easier to fall into this habit then it is to get out of it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Circles
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Except for a couple of random times today when I dozed off briefly, I've basically been awake for over 24 hours. So yeah, kinda.

Most nights I can sleep, but I wake up with nightmares every 2 or 3 hours. Sleeping is a coping mechanism for me so I try to do a lot of it. It just doesn't like me sometimes.

• Hugs
Reactions: Qdv and Circles
Q

Qdv

Student
Sep 17, 2019
I completely relate, in fact my situation is almost identical. Starting about a week ago I was getting only about an hour or two a night and it wasnt deep sleep at all. Id gone two or three days without it until I finally crashed yesterday and slept about four or five hrs of interrupted sleep waking every two hrs with night sweats. I also use sleeping as a coping mechanism and I think thats whats contributing. My body is so used to being in a resting state throughout the day its not tired out and my mind stays active with anxieties.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
An average of one hours sleep a night if I'm lucky. For the last four years. And people seem surprised I'm a mess.
I don't deal with it. Have to get up every half hour or so to go to the toilet. Sometimes I'm in tears all night from fear. It's killing me and it's not even the worst thing that's happening.

• Aww..
Reactions: Qdv
Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
I rarely sleep, sleep means nightmares, nightmares mean feelings and emotions, feelings and emotions remind me I am human, reminded I am human means a reminder of the pain, reminding me of the path i am on,
I try and live a false life, but the false life has cracks,
sleep means nothing to me, it doesn't visit, I slept today 2 hours, i won't sleep tonight, I won'tsleep tomorrow, I drink instead,
What is sleep, what is the need?

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
To sleep, perchance to dream...

Q

Qdv

Student
Sep 17, 2019
An average of one hours sleep a night if I'm lucky. For the last four years. And people seem surprised I'm a mess.
I don't deal with it. Have to get up every half hour or so to go to the toilet. Sometimes I'm in tears all night from fear. It's killing me and it's not even the worst thing that's happening.
Im so sorry, this broke my heart to read

R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
I doubt I even get half an hour sleep in total per night. Psych meds messed me up pretty badly and it won't get better most likely. That is why I have to ctb before my brain stops working.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Im so sorry, this broke my heart to read
Thx for the sympathy. Yeah it's no walk in the park.
I doubt I even get half an hour sleep in total per night. Psych meds messed me up pretty badly and it won't get better most likely. That is why I have to ctb before my brain stops working.
You have my own empathy there. No one should have to live like this.

• Hugs
Reactions: Qdv and R_N
ZemTee

ZemTee

Dec 11, 2019
Thanks for the input guys.
I managed to sleep from 9-1 on Friday, so I've got another 4 hours under my belt.

I'll see what happens going forward...

Reactions: Qdv
Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
There's people that live off of 5 hours of sleep, so it isn't too bad. Our bodies are quite resilient which can be one of the cons for people that want to ctb, unfortunately. I used to sleep at very wonky hours when I wasn't on medication for Bipolar. First time I saw my psychiatrist I had been awake for almost 3 days. Now I can barely stay awake for a day even if I tried due to the medication. But if I am very angry / stressed, my body can fight the sleeping medication I've been given as well as induce an episode for me. Just doesn't happen too often, and when it does I deal with severe heart palpitations with the medication.

If I can't sleep I just watch movies / documentaries, talk to people on here, play video games. Take anxiety medication if I'm desperate to knock me out... I just absolutely hate being awake during the late hours as it really triggers me. Just this endless feeling of emptiness and loneliness. That nothing will ever be okay and there's no point of waking up ever again. Hell, I'm planning to ctb anyway. But still.

Reactions: escapefromabuse
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019

To sleep a few hours a night and still feel perfectly fine is a typical symptom of bipolar disorder. I have gone through something similar myself. I slept three hours a night for a couple of months and felt perfectly rested and refreshed every day.

M

mouseteeth

Dec 2, 2019
Yeah, I have a lot of trouble sleeping. I have trouble falling and staying asleep. Lately I only have bad dreams, or no dreams. I wake up in a panic as soon as I become conscious and the reality of the state of my life hits me like a slap in the face. So I'd rather just stay awake and constantly distract myself than go through that cycle everyday, if that makes sense. I'm always running on about 4-6 hours of sleep.