• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

GoneAndDirty

GoneAndDirty

Sep 6, 2019
Hi, I'm schizophrenic but I wasn't taking my meds for 6 months or even more because of the secondary effects.
But recently I started college again and since I haven't seen people of my age for a year ( that seemed to be 10 years to be honest ), I'm having psychosis every time I get back home.
And not telling the fact that I can't find myself to talk to anyone because of my paranoïa. Also I couldn't get myself to work because of my psychosis every time I got back home thinking about suicide all the time and paranoïd things.

So here's my question, should I take my meds again ( 25mg Abilify every day ), will it make me functionnal again ? I remember that the meds were kinda reducing my anxiety and paranoïa but that I was really sleepy on them and didn't have emotions basically. So is it worth it ?

Reactions: Baskol1
T

tothemoon

Aug 5, 2019
About 25 percent (its probably higher as they under report it) of people taking antidepressants and 40 percent of people on antipsychotics will suffer akathisia. This is basically a condition that causes extreme, agonizing anxiety that makes people suicidal...and even homicidal. Mercifully it usually is temporary but..it can be permanent. And starting...stopping..adjusting the dose can all cause it. I stopped taking meds and unless I end up institutionalized I won't take them ever again. Suicide or not.

Last edited:
GoneAndDirty

GoneAndDirty

Sep 6, 2019
About 25 percent (its probably higher as they under report it) of people taking antidepressants and 40 percent of people on antipsychotics will suffer akathisia. This is basically a condition that causes extreme, agonizing anxiety that makes people suicidal...and even homicidal. Mercifully it usually is temporary but..it can be permanent. And starting...stopping..adjusting the dose can all cause it. I stopped taking meds and unless I end up institutionalized I won't take them ever again. Suicide or not.

I see thanks for the stats. The problem is that I want to be functionnal again and stop this paranoïa as much as I can I'm suicidal anyway, I guess i'll try taking it again and see if it makes me suicidal or not but I hope not

Thanks for the info !

Reactions: Baskol1
T

tothemoon

Aug 5, 2019
I see thanks for the stats. The problem is that I want to be functionnal again and stop this paranoïa as much as I can I'm suicidal anyway, I guess i'll try taking it again and see if it makes me suicidal or not but I hope not

Thanks for the info !
Yeah I think we are all just delaying the inevitable at this point. But as long as you're aware of this side effect ( you will also have the intense desire to move your legs or pace) then you can get off if you need. Doctors don't care and most times will prescribe MORE medication.

GoneAndDirty

GoneAndDirty

Sep 6, 2019
Yeah I think we are all just delaying the inevitable at this point. But as long as you're aware of this side effect ( you will also have the intense desire to move your legs or pace) then you can get off if you need. Doctors don't care and most times will prescribe MORE medication.

Yeah I kinda have almost the maximum prescription dose. And I can remember quite well my leg and arms shaking but I don't really have any choice right now. Thanks again for the advice

• Hugs
Reactions: tothemoon
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I think the best thing to do is see your doctor and see what they think is your best course of action/med combo. Tell them what you told us, and go from there. It's probably not a great idea to just start taking the meds again on your own.

Reactions: GoneAndDirty
E

EmptySteph62

Student
Aug 4, 2019
I'm also on abilify for psychosis and I find it helps a little but not much. I would talk to your doctor a out jt if your comfortable and see if they recommend taking it again or maybe a different medication. If you're not comfortable going to your doctor or too paranoid you could try taking them again just be careful about it. Hope you feel better and good luck in college!!

ericwilkinson

ericwilkinson

Jun 25, 2019
I was on abilify and now I'm on risperidal. I find the latter helpful as I feel less sedated but the problem is, I have body tremors

T

tuto170

Student
Jul 1, 2019
Im on Invega (paleperidone) and its way worse than abilify, Im living with my mother because of the relapse, you should take your medication or you go bonkers after some time and wont function at all. Psychosis leads to accidental deaths in schizophrenics.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I used to be on Abilify, but it gave me really bad brain fog (which I still have to this day).

mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
I used to take Abilify. It was before I developed psychosis so I was taking it just for bipolar depression. It wasn't effective for that so I stopped it. I don't recall having any side-effects from it. Now I take Rexulti which is very similar to Abilify. I would recommend you talk to your doctor about restarting the med. It might need to be titrated up again. Personally I think with paranoia and psychosis (which I suffer too) the meds do work. I have gained a lot of weight from the various antipsychotics I've taken so maybe be aware that that can happen.

azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
Hi, I'm schizophrenic but I wasn't taking my meds for 6 months or even more because of the secondary effects.
But recently I started college again and since I haven't seen people of my age for a year ( that seemed to be 10 years to be honest ), I'm having psychosis every time I get back home.
And not telling the fact that I can't find myself to talk to anyone because of my paranoïa. Also I couldn't get myself to work because of my psychosis every time I got back home thinking about suicide all the time and paranoïd things.

So here's my question, should I take my meds again ( 25mg Abilify every day ), will it make me functionnal again ? I remember that the meds were kinda reducing my anxiety and paranoïa but that I was really sleepy on them and didn't have emotions basically. So is it worth it ?
In Asia, I took a preparation of Ability that dissolved in the mouth (?).

That shizz was amazing because it did not seem to make me as INSATIABLY hungry as the swallowable-pill version of the drug did. Although I had trouble finding dissolve-in-the-mouth Abilify back in my part of the U.S., Abilify helped get me out of the woods and helped me get my carcass to work during a crisis --for a period of a few months, that is.

Rollo

Rollo

No pasaran
Aug 13, 2018

Psychosis means hallucinations?

GoneAndDirty

GoneAndDirty

Sep 6, 2019
Psychosis means hallucinations?

Yeah, I'm french so I don't know the precise word in english. In french we call that " Un délire paranoïaque" caused by schizophrenia. So, "delirium" maybe ?

Rollo

Rollo

No pasaran
Aug 13, 2018
Yeah, I'm french so I don't know the precise word in english. In french we call that " Un délire paranoïaque" caused by schizophrenia. So, "delirium" maybe ?

I'm not a native speaker myself. But we have such a term in my native language as well. Hallucinations to me means you're actually seeing or hearing some menacing stuff that isn't there. Like seeing aliens etc. So you're saying you're getting these hallucinations when you get home and they make you paranoid?

GoneAndDirty

GoneAndDirty

Sep 6, 2019
I'm not a native speaker myself. But we have such a term in my native language as well. Hallucinations to me means you're actually seeing or hearing some menacing stuff that isn't there. Like seeing aliens etc. So you're saying you're getting these hallucinations when you get home and they make you paranoid?

No I have hallucinations everytime, mostly auditive, but when I get home I have paranoïa crisis which basically is all my symptoms enhanced with a deep horrible feeling of paranoïa about everything around me, I basically lose sens of reality and what's hallucinations or not, what's paranoïa or not and just want to end myself really quickly

T

tuto170

Student
Jul 1, 2019
No I have hallucinations everytime, mostly auditive, but when I get home I have paranoïa crisis which basically is all my symptoms enhanced with a deep horrible feeling of paranoïa about everything around me, I basically lose sens of reality and what's hallucinations or not, what's paranoïa or not and just want to end myself really quickly
Just take your meds! I'm taking risperidone that helps a lot