Maravillosa

Maravillosa

Господи помилуй — мир в Україні!
Sep 7, 2018
The following is based on a comment that I wrote on The Guardian's website for a book review of Jesse Bering's A Very Human Ending, as well as a comment that I wrote on the sex abuse scandal on the Washington Post's website:

As a practicing Catholic who strives to take my faith seriously, I would prefer that there be an objective meaning for existence, as well as a pleasant afterlife. I am not completely sure whether God exists or whether there is an afterlife, but I want to believe in the existence of God and the afterlife. I want to believe that Jesus of Nazareth was God incarnate: I want to believe in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist: I want to believe in Apostolic succession and the primacy of Peter among the Apostles. I need the structure of organized religion to keep me alive and at least marginally functional (at least for now).

Life is a never-ending succession of more or less temporary problems. I find it understandable that people who are tired of attempting to solve that never-ending succession of more or less temporary problems would want to permanently get off the hamster wheel of life, especially if there were a pleasant afterlife in store. I believe that God, although He would be sorely disappointed when people die by suicide, would be merciful to the souls of those people who kill themselves and grant them a pleasant afterlife in Heaven. Of course, people might see this line of thought coming from me as prospective self-justification: committing a sin in the expectation that God would forgive it is itself the sin of presumption. Ah well! May God be merciful to me, and to us all!

Reactions: seekingrelease22, Jenna, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
L

lifeofregret

Sep 7, 2018
I think you just become another person if you weren't satisfied with life. I don't think eternity exists because you would eventually get bored. I just hope I become the same person, but prevent my accident so I could lead a normal life. Why were you born gender, location, disease, orphan, poor, rich etc. What if we chose to be who we are? It's weird because you could had a different hobby if you were born in an different circumstance such as Canada, you probably would have liked hockey, if South America then it would be football. I just want to play baseball with my dad again, but it's not possible in this life.

Reactions: seekingrelease22, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
Wantingpeace

Wantingpeace

Wizard
Aug 16, 2018
Yes
Anyone afraid of suicide because of going to hell. Like it scares you that much that you can't do it because of that?
I do not know what has happened to me,,but a prescription drug has put me there literally,,visions etc but i can't live with the rest it did to me

Reactions: seekingrelease22, Jenna, xb243 and 2 others
Notatook

Notatook

Sep 11, 2018
I believe in God.

Now don't roast me. I know on a site like this, not a lot of people will...agree with me. And I'm aware of the flaws. The grey areas. The neglect. Regardless.
I know.
But I still believe in God. The Bible. My church.
I don't carry a bible and I don't carry a cross nor attend mass every Sunday. I can't even quote any psalms let alone know lines the choir in my church sing. When I still went to church with my mom, I only mumbled under my breath, trying to match the syllables everyone else around me seemed to have committed to heart. But I believe in the entity that my mom believes in, that my whole family believes in. The religion my entire family puts their faith into.
You know why? Because I want to believe in it. I want to believe that the being my mother seems to believe in more than her own family.
My belief is based on my mom's belief so as long as she believes in God, I will too. I believe in the idea of God because I believe in my mom. Because if my mom can't have God, then what can I have. What will I ever have. I don't deserve anything my mom can't have and that list to this date has never been very long.

I want to have something in my life. Just one thing. And if that has to be mom's God then so be it. My belief isn't a conventional one but I still am, to some extent, religious. Even if the reason is improper and not what a truly devout person would say.

So yeah. I believe in the afterlife. I believe in what it promises to believers of Christianity. Even if I won't necessarily go to the same place as my mother.

Reactions: seekingrelease22, Pineapplecrown, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
Maravillosa

Maravillosa

Господи помилуй — мир в Україні!
Sep 7, 2018
I believe in God.

Now don't roast me. I know on a site like this, not a lot of people will...agree with me. And I'm aware of the flaws. The grey areas. The neglect. Regardless.
I know.
I don't carry a bible and I don't carry a cross nor attend mass every Sunday. I can't even quote any psalms let alone know lines the choir in my church sing. When I still went to church with my mom, I only mumbled under my breath, trying to match the syllables everyone else around me seemed to have committed to heart. But I believe in the entity that my mom believes in, that my whole family believes in. The religion my entire family puts their faith into.
You know why? Because I want to believe in it. I want to believe that the being my mother seems to believe in more than her own family.
My belief is based on my mom's belief so as long as she believes in God, I will too. I believe in the idea of God because I believe in my mom. Because if my mom can't have God, then what can I have. What will I ever have. I don't deserve anything my mom can't have and that list to this date has never been very long.

I want to have something in my life. Just one thing. And if that has to be mom's God then so be it. My belief isn't a conventional one but I still am, to some extent, religious. Even if the reason is improper and not what a truly devout person would say.

So yeah. I believe in the afterlife. I believe in what it promises to believers of Christianity. Even if I won't necessarily go to the same place as my mother.

I think that you will make it to Heaven, even if you have to spend a sojourn in Purgatory first. God is merciful, after all. I refuse to believe that a good God would allow people to damn themselves because of ctb.

Reactions: seekingrelease22, adam&eve, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
M

medusa

Student
Sep 1, 2018
I believe in God.

I know.

you're going to go to Heaven, I am sure of this

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and Maravillosa
Justanotherconsumer

Justanotherconsumer

Paragon
Jul 9, 2018
E=mc2 everything we perceive as mass is just energy. Science knows what we perceive as solid isnt in fact solid its a collection of atoms and atoms have no mass just energy. This is why Einstein and other astro-physicist say this is an illusion. Why this energy force would create so much suffering and evil is beyond me. It may be for the best if there was nothing in the afterlife.

• Informative
Reactions: charlottewilts, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 2 others
E

epil

Sep 7, 2018
I refuse to belive that everything exists for no reason. It doesn't make sense to me. I can't begin to say what would actually happen after our death but I have a feeling that there's more to all of this than just the life we live. I'm hoping for reincarnation. Another chance at life. Hopefully a better life. All I know is that I ruined this one.

Reactions: seekingrelease22, adam&eve, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
M

Miss clefable

Enlightened
Aug 23, 2018
All I will say on this matter is that we will all experience what's on the other side at some point so the answer to this there is none

Reactions: seekingrelease22, adam&eve, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 4 others
D

Deleted member 847

Also stop believing in hierarchies and gods man, it's disgusting. If angels and gods exist, you're just as good as them.

Reactions: seekingrelease22, justanotherday, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
Wantingpeace

Wantingpeace

Wizard
Aug 16, 2018
I refuse to belive that everything exists for no reason. It doesn't make sense to me. I can't begin to say what would actually happen after our death but I have a feeling that there's more to all of this than just the life we live. I'm hoping for reincarnation. Another chance at life. Hopefully a better life. All I know is that I ruined this one.
Would love another chance

Reactions: adam&eve, Deafsn0w and Madrid27
E

epil

Sep 7, 2018
Also stop believing in hierarchies and gods man, it's disgusting. If angels and gods exist, you're just as good as them.
I never said angels and gods exist. I just find it hard to get my head around there being nothing. No reason for all of this.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and NoOneKnows
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
It would be nice if we could choose what happens after our death. I personally want nothingness. But people who want to reincarnate or have an afterlife can.

Reactions: seekingrelease22, Peaceisnear, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
Wantingpeace

Wantingpeace

Wizard
Aug 16, 2018
Epil..what would you do differently? Me, I would stay away from drs.

Reactions: Mn1245 and Deafsn0w
E

epil

Sep 7, 2018
Epil..what would you do differently? Me, I would stay away from drs.
All of my problems stem from a pretty bad conviction related to my sexually abusive father. The obvious answer is that id handle it differently. But hopefully in the next life I end up with a better family.

Reactions: seekingrelease22, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
Wantingpeace

Wantingpeace

Wizard
Aug 16, 2018
All of my problems stem from a pretty bad conviction related to my sexually abusive father. The obvious answer is that id handle it differently. But hopefully in the next life I end up with a better family.

If there is another life, I hope so ☺

Reactions: seekingrelease22 and Deafsn0w
throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
About reincarnation. Just in case we don't become worm food after death, you might want to read this: http://www.trickedbythelight.com/tbtl/light.shtml
I read about that aswell. Although I hate the idea of an afterlife I wonder if it's true. It does make a little bit of sense. There've been thousands of recorded NDEs, all of them going into a tunnel...

But what if rejecting the light makes you end up in "hell"?

Reactions: seekingrelease22, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
E

epil

Sep 7, 2018
I read about that aswell. Although I hate the idea of an afterlife I wonder if it's true. It does make a little bit of sense. There've been thousands of recorded NDEs, all of them going into a tunnel...

I don't particularly believe in the idea of heaven and hell.

Reactions: seekingrelease22, justanotherday, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
I don't particularly believe in the idea of heaven and hell.
Same but you have to wonder. What if we're like fish in a bowl? What if there are predators beyond the physical realm that we are not yet capable of comprehending? A few hundred years ago we thought earth to be flat. Makes you think....

Like you step on an ant without realizing it. Did you know that ants only see in two dimensions?
If we see a ball, all they see is a circle. I'm not kidding. Google it.

Brokenanddeadinside

Brokenanddeadinside

Arcanist
Aug 8, 2018
I never said angels and gods exist. I just find it hard to get my head around there being nothing. No reason for all of this.
The way you can look at nothingness is the same before you were born you don't know if you were ever alive before this life. I feel death will just be like before we were born. I like to think of the universe and how beautiful it is and that gives me peace.

Reactions: seekingrelease22, Bluefish, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
E

epil

Sep 7, 2018
Same but you have to wonder. What if we're like fish in a bowl? What if there are predators beyond the physical realm that we are not yet capable of comprehending? A few hundred years ago we thought earth to be flat. Makes you think....

Like you step on an ant without realizing it. Did you know that ants only see in two dimensions?
If we see a ball, all they see is a circle. I'm not kidding. Google it.
Ancient greeks knew the earth was round. flat earth ideas are not a few hundred years old. i dont doubt that there are things in this existence that we cant comprehend. i understand your use of ants and 2d but thats not strictly true.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
E

epil

Sep 7, 2018
im slightly drunk.... dont mean to come across as a dick but i feel like i am.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
D

Deleted member 847

Well, I don't believe in an absolute heaven - hell christian style afterlife. I believe the afterlife (if it exists) it's just the multiverse, or call it the astral plane, and you end up mostly in places that match your beliefs. Thought-responsive environments (Read robert monroe books to get an idea of what I'm talking about). And if you end up in a bad place, I guess you could always leave it by realizing that you don't have to be there. Just like you can realize here that you don't have to live a lifetime of suffering, you can just hang yourself and move on. The archons might just be entities/spirit beings like us that created this particular world in which we're trapped because we agreed to reincarnate here naively thinking it would be a learning experience or something. Think about communists countries where you can't leave unless authorized. But there's no evidence for any of this besides testimonials and some quantum weirdness that seems to suggest we might be more than just our bodies. Learning to astral project helps you familiarize yourself with this afterlife thing, because if there's one, it's probably that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: seekingrelease22, justanotherday, EmotionlessWanderer and 3 others
Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
Hello darkness my old friend I've come to take ti you again !!!

Bodylotion

Bodylotion

Aug 11, 2018
There's nothing. You're dead forever. Reincarnation makes no sense.

Reactions: ish, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Nothing that was ever discovered in science made any sense, the truth is always counter-intuitive. Quantum mechanics looked like nonsense as well thanks to Newton's paradigm accepted by most scientists at that time.
https://www.rd.com/true-stories/inspiring/chilling-reincarnation-stories/
Even scientific truth is often counter intuitive, but at least its closer to the truth than what our imagination alone can bring us. Eye witness testimony based on our senses alone means very little.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w, Lizzie S. and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 847

Even scientific truth is often counter intuitive, but at least its closer to the truth than what our imagination alone can bring us. Eye witness testimony based on our senses alone means very little.
I'm not denying that, but instead of labelling things we can just say that there's no evidence for them till now so we don't know.

weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I'm not denying that, but instead of labelling things we can just say that there's no evidence for them till now so we don't know.
See here's the difference. Scientists use probabilities to understand that some things are more or less likely. We DO use evidence in our understandings. God, spiritualism and afterlife is no less or more likely than the existence of fairies or the easter bunny if you want to believe that way. Personally I'm passionate about understanding the truth about reality (and not just our perception and psychology behind it) as much as possible.

Reactions: seekingrelease22 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals