deadwithoutmusic

deadwithoutmusic

Sep 10, 2020
Update: I very luckily was able to get in to see a different therapist the other day and felt like they listened more and were a lot more nice/reasonable about my situation. This is my first time going to see therapists so I guess I didn't really know what to expect from them or how the experience would be. I will probably be sticking with this one now and hopefully all goes well in future sessions. Thanks again everyone for the replies.

• Love
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed, Wisdom3_1-9 and GoneGoneGone
RC90

RC90

Experienced
Sep 13, 2020
My doctor insists on me going to the gym despite the fact that he knows I personally hate gyms, can't even stand the smell of it. But I do agree with my doctor we have to do our part also. And I know I'm not doing mine.

deadwithoutmusic

deadwithoutmusic

Sep 10, 2020
My doctor insists on me going to the gym despite the fact that he knows I personally hate gyms, can't even stand the smell of it. But I do agree with my doctor we have to do our part also. And I know I'm not doing mine.

We definitely have to do our part as well but I think there are different ways to tell someone how to do something or reason with them as to why they need to do something to give them more motivation to do so. Even different suggestions on how you can achieve the same outcome.

Like if you said you don't like the gym they should listen and recommend something else that will get you active like going for a walk or riding a bike until you can find something you don't despise and agree on.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
RC90

RC90

Experienced
Sep 13, 2020
We definitely have to do our part as well but I think there are different ways to tell someone how to do something or reason with them as to why they need to do something to give them more motivation to do so. Even different suggestions on how you can achieve the same outcome.

Like if you said you don't like the gym they should listen and recommend something else that will get you active like going for a walk or riding a bike until you can find something you don't despise and agree on.
Yeah he did mention to for a walk? Haha

G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
Update: I very luckily was able to get in to see a different therapist the other day and felt like they listened more and were a lot more nice/reasonable about my situation. This is my first time going to see therapists so I guess I didn't really know what to expect from them or how the experience would be. I will probably be sticking with this one now and hopefully all goes well in future sessions. Thanks again everyone for the replies.
See? Doesn't have to be so daunting. You pay them, they serve you. I think this is part of feeling hopelessness in depression, you think that you have to accommodate other people. You pay, they accommodate you.

W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
True, but I think a skilled psychologist/psychiatrist should be able to find the right way to motivate you to do your part. Surely, they would understand that there are obstacles to motivation which need to be overcome. In the case of the OP, it sounded like the professional had simply refused to explore that path, unless it was some sort of strategy rooted in guilt (which I don't think is a good idea). Although, I suppose it worked. It causes the OP to find a professional who could actually help.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I can't comment on your situation without knowing you but I would take this as a true statement in my case. I am not willing to work hard to get better whether I like it or not, and I would be wasting time and money talking to a therapist.

deadwithoutmusic

deadwithoutmusic

Sep 10, 2020
I can't comment on your situation without knowing you but I would take this as a true statement in my case. I am not willing to work hard to get better whether I like it or not, and I would be wasting time and money talking to a therapist.

If you have any hope left in yourself I think it's probably worth atleast trying. I came into it with a very negative look thinking it will be useless but I think it has helped a bit.

Although I'm in very early stages of it still and don't know how it will turn out in the long term.