Darkhaven

Darkhaven

All i have left is memories
May 19, 2019
Why are people so picky with other's appearance?
While i grew up i always liked to use long hair as a young boy, and i still do despite being a young adult.
I always got "bullied" and made fun of by my grandparents and uncles for using long hair.
Somehow people from where i live are so smallminded and backwards thinking that they judge others by their looks.
So a man using long hair is either a troublemaker/criminal or homosexual or a communist or all 3.
Since i became old enough to decide what the hell i wanna do with my body they started respecting me more and only point out, once in a while, that my hair is too long and that i should think about cutting it.
But now i'm faced by another challenge.
Next year i may have finished my degree and were i to try and find a job i know before hand that my long hair will be an obstacle, not to mention the whole suit and tie formality.
I know employers and bosses like their employees to look respectable and "clean" in order to inspire trust in the clients, but is this really necessary? I mean, I understand when people complain about other's poor hygiene. I also can't tolerate that.
I happen to like using long hair and beard and i wash it regularly, but somehow , and specially in my small and countrified nation, this puts yet another handicap (as if i hadn't enough already) on my way to try and be an financially independent man.
Sometimes, when i look around me and notice that i'm the only person around that has a distintive appearance i feel like i'm swiming against the tide, almost as if wearing long hair is an act of rebellion. It's ridiculous how people are so squeamish with something as unimportant and trivial as one's hair length and then so permissive with people's actions and attitudes.
Shouldn't society pay more attention to people who hurt others or behave irresponsibly rather than doing a physical examination and judging people by their appearance?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: clownangel, mynameispaige, Can'tStandAnymore and 1 other person
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Its all because humans and life is inherently superficial. People will only care about looks and base their thinking about it.

Reactions: die2live, cowbain, hatelife and 2 others
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I hate to tell u that you might have to blend and conform for now especially while u are at the bottom and starting out in life. Once u can establish yourself, you will be able to be more the image you like yourself in. I know right? I remember feeling similar as a young woman and it was not helping me to be how I wanted to be. I would have been better off conforming more and not so wild and rebellious in my clothes and behaviors. Maybe u can modify the look so u appear more groomed.

Reactions: Darkhaven
Passenger

Passenger

Oct 15, 2019
I have small eyes. The one kind of features no culture and nobody on this planet would want. No one has ever gotten plastic surgery for smaller eyes, it's always the puppy eyes syndrome that wins.
I dress very bold and outrageous but I have small eyes. To me it's fine, I like them. But society keeps reminding me that it's a "flaw".
I think it's a mixture between shallowness and preferences our species has always had. Big eyes awakening protection instincts, curves for women because they imply fertility, strength for men. We're still being led by these things and haven't evolved past them.

Reactions: Maximoo, hatelife, Darkhaven and 1 other person
Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019
I have small eyes. The one kind of features no culture and nobody on this planet would want. No one has ever gotten plastic surgery for smaller eyes, it's always the puppy eyes syndrome that wins.
I dress very bold and outrageous but I have small eyes. To me it's fine, I like them. But society keeps reminding me that it's a "flaw".
I think it's a mixture between shallowness and preferences our species has always had. Big eyes awakening protection instincts, curves for women because they imply fertility, strength for men. We're still being led by these things and haven't evolved past them.
one of the biggest super model in the world had very small eyes so don't let people bring you down about that. I hate that people judge or pick on each other about their appearance. Our appearance is on thing we can't control. One kid in school used to call me Bubba because I have full pouty lips and my bottom on is really pouty from the side. I remember even my grandmother would tell me at a young age that I should get a chin implant and the tip of my now was bulbous. Like really?

Darkhaven

Darkhaven

All i have left is memories
May 19, 2019
I hate to tell u that you might have to blend and conform for now especially while u are at the bottom and starting out in life. Once u can establish yourself, you will be able to be more the image you like yourself in. I know right? I remember feeling similar as a young woman and it was not helping me to be how I wanted to be. I would have been better off conforming more and not so wild and rebellious in my clothes and behaviors. Maybe u can modify the look so u appear more groomed.
I certainly can.
Sometimes i wish that lived in away from civilization. Away on the florest, with the animals.
Ruled only by the rules of nature.
Unfortunately, i would most likely die, and given how spoiled by nowadays commodities i would have a hard time giving all that away.
You know, smartphones, pc's, tv's, foods, a house to live in, clothes to wear, etc.

Lethe

Lethe

Fey
Sep 19, 2019
Yeah, I sympathize with the hair thing. I once had a professor attempt to cut me down by throwing up a pic of my freshman portrait in front of the class, in which I had long hair, then commenting that I look like a criminal. Like, seriously? You're only making yourself look dumb, doc.

So glad that I never have to conform, now that I have a way out. People don't seem to grasp the true extent of my stubbornness.

Reactions: hatelife
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Unfortunately it is an advantageous evolutionary trait to conform, at least while you lack power or authority. As you climb the ladder you can be yourself more. Then, ironically, people may copy you. It's called emulation theory and is very evident throughout the archaeological record as well as in modern society. It's also the basis for fashion. Always trying to be just different enough whilst making sure you fit in .

Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
Social media my friend! Everyone with their surgically enhanced rubber lips!
I look at that and think why does every teenage look at that and think that's beauty.

Reactions: cowbain and mynameispaige