• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
The only reason we have any desire to live is because the creatures who didn't have that desire didn't survive. Despite this, life is a horrible experience for most living things. For modern humans it's not as bad, but think of all the pain that has been experienced throughout the history of the planet.
Trillions of wild animals of all different types have starved, been eaten alive, died from being too hot or too cold. I'm not even going to list all the horrible things that humans have experienced because you can probably easily think of them.
It's sad to me that I and so many others have this uncontrollable desire to still live despite the state of reality.

I mean the majority of living things capable of suffering do so a lot. Factory farming has billions of animals living their worst lives. More humans are suffering than not. Even just wild and free nature is filled with starvation, being eaten alive, disease, infanticide, parasites, and whatever other horrible things to which I am ignorant. Evolution didn't give a shit how pleasant life was; it just happened and here we are.

the universe doesn't care about anything not even itself as even that as a end date

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hunter2005, Shar, DeIetedUser4739 and 5 others
M

MarkSmith73

Student
Apr 14, 2024
You stated this well. I've often wondered the same thing and honestly the reason for suffering is one of the hardest questions to answer. You make a very good point about animal suffering as well as humans. It's impossible for me to wrap my mind around the size of the universe. There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on this entire earth. So from our extremely tiny vantage point it's impossible to understand why. Most major religions incorporate suffering into them and I believe there's some truth to all religions. But the separation from this earth and the other side is so vast that from our perspective it's truly impossible to understand the mind of God.

The only reason we have any desire to live is because the creatures who didn't have that desire didn't survive. Despite this, life is a horrible experience for most living things. For modern humans it's not as bad, but think of all the pain that has been experienced throughout the history of the planet.
Trillions of wild animals of all different types have starved, been eaten alive, died from being too hot or too cold. I'm not even going to list all the horrible things that humans have experienced because you can probably easily think of them.
It's sad to me that I and so many others have this uncontrollable desire to still live despite the state of reality.

I mean the majority of living things capable of suffering do so a lot. Factory farming has billions of animals living their worst lives. More humans are suffering than not. Even just wild and free nature is filled with starvation, being eaten alive, disease, infanticide, parasites, and whatever other horrible things to which I am ignorant. Evolution didn't give a shit how pleasant life was; it just happened and here we are.

the universe doesn't care about anything not even itself as even that as a end date

JustA_LittlePerson

JustA_LittlePerson

One person in a sea...
May 21, 2024
You stated this well. I've often wondered the same thing and honestly the reason for suffering is one of the hardest questions to answer. You make a very good point about animal suffering as well as humans. It's impossible for me to wrap my mind around the size of the universe. There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on this entire earth. So from our extremely tiny vantage point it's impossible to understand why. Most major religions incorporate suffering into them and I believe there's some truth to all religions. But the separation from this earth and the other side is so vast that from our perspective it's truly impossible to understand the mind of God.

I find it cute how people say that God is this and God is that, as if a human could ever begin to comprehend the mind of God.

Reactions: divinemistress36
B

BardBarrie

Experienced
Mar 17, 2024
What is the point of being conscious if it's just to suffer?

M

MarkSmith73

Student
Apr 14, 2024
I find it cute how people say that God is this and God is that, as if a human could ever begin to comprehend the mind of God.
We can't. Not based from the perspective of this tiny primitive hellhole we're on. I'm just saying our perspective here is too limited to say without a doubt that the universe doesn't care.

Reactions: divinemistress36
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024

I cant wait to go home

JustA_LittlePerson

JustA_LittlePerson

One person in a sea...
May 21, 2024
We can't. Not based from the perspective of this tiny primitive hellhole we're on. I'm just saying our perspective here is too limited to say without a doubt that the universe doesn't care.
Oh yes I understood it I was agreeing with you sorry if I phrased it wrong lol

Reactions: MarkSmith73