• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

sserafim

sserafim

they say it’s darkest of all before the dawn
Sep 13, 2023
"The issue is nation's, societies and communities of any kind are inherently NT and revolve around conformity of some kind."

Why do nations, societies and communities revolve around conformity? Why are they inherently conformist? Why are we all expected to conform to the norm? Normal does not equal good or right. They say "You're different from me, so leave here." But you need to know that being different is not being wrong

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocinante, restingplace, fleetingnight and 8 others
W

wisteria3

May 5, 2024
Very true, normal does not always equal good or right. But I guess it's human nature to treat "normal" or "like" people better than "abnormal" or "different" people, and so we all strive to appear "normal" so that we can be treated well. Like even in different groups of people I'll act slightly differently to be perceived as fitting in with them and be treated accordingly. It may not be rational or right, but it's more an emotional decision I guess

• Informative
Reactions: xinino and sserafim
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Misery Minimization Activist
Sep 19, 2023
"The issue is nation's, societies and communities of any kind are inherently NT and revolve around conformity of some kind."

Why do nations, societies and communities revolve around conformity? Why are we all expected to conform to the norm? Normal does not equal good or right
It's funny because these days there's this kinda reverse "not conforming is conforming," like how being nerdy went from being lame to popular.

If I had to guess, I'd say historically conformity was about control, right? Get people to buy into a set of rules, then you can change the rules when you need to and they'll obey without question.

The bigger factor in the modern day, I imagine, has nothing to do with an expectation or a pressure to conform, but people do it naturally to satisfy their sense of belonging and assuage their fear of loneliness (because we're chasing those higher levels on Maslow's triangle that you don't care for). Basically monkey see, monkey do. I look around and see that monkey over there is throwing his shit around and everyone seems to like him so I start throwing my shit around.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotviolin, Shunya, xinino and 1 other person
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
The facts :nothing is objectively important. And you don't have to do anything. Life is meaningless suffering, constant work chores and problems for no reason.The only reasons I and many humans do any thing is to prevent even worse suffering as in becoming homeless. I don't want to work a job. I have to or become homeless . I don't want to even live but I'm scared of a suicide attempt leaving me in a worse condition . I don't want to go to the damn grocery store again but I can't take the hunger. I don't want to wash clothes and take out trash brush teeth work a job etc but I have to or suffer worse as in homelessness.

They all want to grow old and take the risks of life for no objective purpose no reason . They are all constantly working and risking extreme pain torture for no reason

They don't realize youtb social media , media, tv news etc are not important or fun but addictions as is the addiction to life

They are all brainwashed sheep because they don't realize what i wrote above. And there's much more

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotviolin, xinino, ijustwishtodie and 2 others
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Misery Minimization Activist
Sep 19, 2023
Very true, normal does not always equal good or right. But I guess it's human nature to treat "normal" or "like" people better than "abnormal" or "different" people, and so we all strive to appear "normal" so that we can be treated well. Like even in different groups of people I'll act slightly differently to be perceived as fitting in with them and be treated accordingly. It may not be rational or right, but it's more an emotional decision I guess
Considering different behavior in different groups is important. By being a member on this site, it can probably said no one here is a "conformist" to society at large, but that doesn't mean there can't be additional pressures or incentives to conform to the culture here, or overvalue approval of the crowd.

Reactions: sserafim and wisteria3
L

LaughingGoat

Mage
Apr 11, 2024
Conformity = predictability and efficiency. For a micro example of how a society functions, take the example of standing in a line. We all understand the principle of how a line works, with the person arriving first being in front and others waiting their turn. Then take the example of the asshole who arrives and steps to front of the line and refuses to move. We would all be in agreement that would not be a acceptable or efficient system to follow, where there is no predictability or norms being followed. Furthermore, every law we have is conformity; the prohibition of murder and assault is a form of conformity.

Now I'm not saying that conformity in all aspects is correct and agree with you that "normal" is always a relative term and there is nothing wrong with being different in a variety of aspects. Just that conformity in many ways allows society to function.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim, xinino and divinemistress36
xinino

xinino

Anti humanist
Mar 31, 2024
It's funny because these days there's this kinda reverse "not conforming is conforming," like how being nerdy went from being lame to popular.

If I had to guess, I'd say historically conformity was about control, right? Get people to buy into a set of rules, then you can change the rules when you need to and they'll obey without question.

The bigger factor in the modern day, I imagine, has nothing to do with an expectation or a pressure to conform, but people do it naturally to satisfy their sense of belonging and assuage their fear of loneliness (because we're chasing those higher levels on Maslow's triangle that you don't care for). Basically monkey see, monkey do. I look around and see that monkey over there is throwing his shit around and everyone seems to like him so I start throwing my shit around.
It's a matter of degree in rationality, You can find one of the most controversial intellectuals who deeply believes in radicalization to the point of breaking down morality and human rights, but he is conformist in his daily life, because he recognizes that ideas must be adopted by the masses in order for any change to occur. He also believes that he can't do anything by himself. On the other hand, you find the most atrocious criminal who advocates for virtues, and he believes that he can change the world.

Reactions: Pluto
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
"Why does a group of people need to care about the group of people?"

Reactions: pilotviolin and xinino
xinino

xinino

Anti humanist
Mar 31, 2024
The facts :nothing is objectively important. And you don't have to do anything. Life is meaningless suffering, constant work chores and problems for no reason.The only reasons I and many humans do any thing is to prevent even worse suffering as in becoming homeless. I don't want to work a job. I have to or become homeless . I don't want to even live but I'm scared of a suicide attempt leaving me in a worse condition . I don't want to go to the damn grocery store again but I can't take the hunger. I don't want to wash clothes and take out trash brush teeth work a job etc but I have to or suffer worse as in homelessness.

They all want to grow old and take the risks of life for no objective purpose no reason . They are all constantly working and risking extreme pain torture for no reason

They don't realize youtb social media , media, tv news etc are not important or fun but addictions as is the addiction to life

They are all brainwashed sheep because they don't realize what i wrote above. And there's much more
What you said is true in case where conformity means maintaining biological need, but it's not, You can find criminals who have lived a better life than the average conformist, but I can understand it is a skill issue.
"Why does a group of people need to care about the group of people?"
Ironically, it's an old issue that started with the agriculture revolution, where they had to organize each other so they could all function properly, It's a territory problem. You can even take the US relationship with Israel and Ukraine as a modern example.
it can probably said no one here is a "conformist" to society at large
Tbh, I am the biggest conformist alive, it is all just an act, screaming at phone is better than releasing my anger in a school shooting. Besides, the system is moving without coordination.

Last edited:
I

iloverachel

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2024
I say, F society and their expectations! I hate society anyway

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, sserafim and ijustwishtodie
SilverTiger

SilverTiger

Life is the night, I seek the warmth of the sun.
Apr 18, 2024

Why do nations, societies and communities revolve around conformity? Why are they inherently conformist? Why are we all expected to conform to the norm? Normal does not equal good or right. They say "You're different from me, so leave here." But you need to know that being different is not being wrong
Hello sserafim.

In biology there is a term called an Evolutionary Trap (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_trap) it's when a biological instinct becomes maladaptive as part of the environment you find yourself in, think of turtles, they typically hatch at night and seek the moon (as that is where the sea is) however us humans put up lights that are brighter than the moon, the turtle will go to the brighter light, go further on into the beach and never get to the sea.

I feel like this is happening to us, the last few 100 years has engrained in us (socially not biologically yet thank fuck) a 40-hour work week, not speaking up, and conformity... But it has become maladaptive, now people can't afford a house, are living paycheck-to-paycheck, they get in car-box, to go to work-box, to go to home-box, to watch television-box and dumb their mind.

People will see horrors, every day and not speak up. They will just walk past injustices because they are too-tired from work, or only focusing on themselves.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Informative
Reactions: pilotviolin, halleyscomet, sserafim and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I mean that society, or really any grouping of people, can't even exist in the first place if said people within the group aren't willing to conform to that group even a little bit so to ask why seems like an odd question. To me at least, conformity is an absolute requirement for a society to exist though whether or not societies should exist is a different question that may or may not have a different answer. It's like trying to ask why does basketball have to revolve around baskets and a ball? It just does.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim and derpyderpins
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
If people didn't play their part and cooperate, the world would quickly fall apart and then everyone would lose.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I personally think that it's due to neurotype. In the past, evolution had to thrive by making it so that humans accept conformity and get scared of what's different. After all, evolution wanted organisms to survive for as long as possible and this is an effective way at doing that. Back then, accepting something different could mean death and most humans want to avoid that at all costs.

The thing about evolution, however, is that it is very, very, very slow. Right now we have enough awareness about what is different and how to survive for as long as possible but evolution doesn't know that yet. Evolution still assumes we are in nature rather than in modern society. Hence why neurodivergents get bullied for being different or why people step on each other to thrive. Hence why people accept conformity as conformity was necessary to survive in the past

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I guess we're easier to control that way. I suppose having things like laws tries to ensure that people are treated fairly. If enough people don't conform to the law, I imagine chaos starts to ensue.

Plus, we're animals basically and from a species that lives in tribes. So- we probably like to feel like we fit within a group. It can be a more subversive group of course. Within human culture, you get all kinds of groups that partly define their identity by hating other groups! Really messed up when you think about it...

Plus, I suppose there's the notion of 'the greater good'. If you're asking- why do people conform to earning a living? Partly because destitution may be their only other option but I suppose some people believe in a system that they pay in to and take from at different periods in their life.

We hope that if someone attacks us or our loved ones, we can call the police. If our house is on fire, the fire brigade will put it out. If we're in pain, we'll be assisted at A&E, we will get a decent education and receive a pension when we retire, our rubbish will be collected, our roads kept in good order. If we get invaded by soldiers or terrorists, our military will show up and protect us. All that shit costs money. True, it's naff that we got brought into this world without our agreeing to be a part of it but I suppose we know if enough people don't conform, the entire system collapses. So, I suppose we all get ingrained with a work/ compliance ethic.

• Informative
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
Nothing is objectively important or "good" And you don't have to do anything. Life is meaningless suffering, constant work chores and problems for no reason. Society's / culture's morality are not objective but subjective. And so they are fiction.

imo all these rules and morals that society / culture / others say that we have to conform too are subjective fiction. Why ? because none of them are objectively true. for example "suicide is immoral and an act of a mentally ill person" . most of us here know that one is a lie. "you should have children" again this is false and no i won't have children. many of these rest upon the lie that " life is good". " you have to fight to live" why because " life is good" . "having children is beautiful" why because "life is good and beautiful" . "suicide is bad irrational" why because " life is good sacred" . this is just the start there is much more to this.

Life is not good . many reasons why. 1. extreme pain or extreme suffering is orders of magnitude worse than any "enjoyable " garbage can be "good" . extreme pain outweighs the "pleasure. imo extreme pain can be so bad nothing is worth even 10 minutes of it. 2. pain can be excruciating constant long lasting while the "pleasures" are very fleeting. for example long term starvation where every second for weeks or months a human can suffer the pain of starvation intense hunger vs eating a meal that only last minutes of fleeting pleasure soon forgotten and it's something you have to do too or feel the pain of hunger. 3. there is no purpose to life. so you are working all day a job and chores every day sufferring risking even more extreme pain for no reason no purpose. 4. all humans and other animals become old which is decay , rotting flesh on disintegrating bones, the brain shrinks and becomes demented , many chronic diseases like atrhitis trouble breating pains dementia hit. 5. life is 99% suffering vs 1% pleasure.

evolution says a human is just another animal a mouse , a conjoined group of cells , a bug, a cell , a chemical reaction. what possible morality could a fly have , purpose meaning.? this brain evolved to be able to suffer excruciating constant undending unbearable pain which is an obomination beyond all words but we are constantly told this consciousness / sentience / living is a beatiful gift that we have to be constantly greatful for " life is good" . i think life is bad

Last edited:
sserafim

sserafim

they say it’s darkest of all before the dawn
Sep 13, 2023
I guess we're easier to control that way. I suppose having things like laws tries to ensure that people are treated fairly. If enough people don't conform to the law, I imagine chaos starts to ensue.

Plus, we're animals basically and from a species that lives in tribes. So- we probably like to feel like we fit within a group. It can be a more subversive group of course. Within human culture, you get all kinds of groups that partly define their identity by hating other groups! Really messed up when you think about it...

Plus, I suppose there's the notion of 'the greater good'. If you're asking- why do people conform to earning a living? Partly because destitution may be their only other option but I suppose some people believe in a system that they pay in to and take from at different periods in their life.

We hope that if someone attacks us or our loved ones, we can call the police. If our house is on fire, the fire brigade will put it out. If we're in pain, we'll be assisted at A&E, we will get a decent education and receive a pension when we retire, our rubbish will be collected, our roads kept in good order. If we get invaded by soldiers or terrorists, our military will show up and protect us. All that shit costs money. True, it's naff that we got brought into this world without our agreeing to be a part of it but I suppose we know if enough people don't conform, the entire system collapses. So, I suppose we all get ingrained with a work/ compliance ethic.
I agree that conformity is used to control people. The elites keep people subservient and as sheep, forcing everyone to fit the same mold. I was also ingrained with a work/compliance ethic due to my parents (Asian parents lol) but it went away after I graduated college and realized the truth about the world. I had a nihilistic awakening and realized that everything is meaningless. I think I conformed because it was beneficial for me to do so. I think that's it's related to this:

"Some ir*a* individuals with high intellectual levels may be fairly effective in the sense that they conform to the requirements of any group that provides them security. However, once they meet the qualifications of the group, they have little need to be productive in order to maintain themselves. They are perfectly capable of thinking that since they have earned security (labor union status, a college education, a medical degree, tenure, etc.), the world owes them a living."

Why do people do what other people do? I don't feel this urge to be like everyone else. It's probably because I'm ND lol
I say, F society and their expectations! I hate society anyway
Same! I hate society and the fact that I'm forced to participate in it against my will just to ensure my survival. It's basically forced upon me. I don't have a choice

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocinante and Forever Sleep
M

MBG

Experienced
Jul 14, 2023

In the USA we drive in the right side of the road, in the UK on the left. Such arbitrary conventions minimize conflict (i.e., accidents). Conform or be banned from driving. Public policy and administrative regulations deal with setting such standards (restrictions on liberty) for the public/common good (health, safety, welfare). "Tolerance" of "diverse" driving behaviors impedes the smooth and safe transit of goods & people.

Tolerance of Diversity (multiculturalism) => Conflict Liberals claim to love diversity ("It's our greatest strength!"), but you don't hear them clamoring for Republicans to "culturally enrich" San Francisco by moving there. They don't grieve the lack of Republicans on the Board of Supervisors.

Last edited:
  • Informative
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I agree that conformity is used to control people. The elites keep people subservient and as sheep, forcing everyone to fit the same mold. I was also ingrained with a work/compliance ethic due to my parents (Asian parents lol) but it went away after I graduated college and realized the truth about the world. I had a nihilistic awakening and realized that everything is meaningless. I think I conformed because it was beneficial for me to do so. I think that's it's related to this:

"Some ir*a* individuals with high intellectual levels may be fairly effective in the sense that they conform to the requirements of any group that provides them security. However, once they meet the qualifications of the group, they have little need to be productive in order to maintain themselves. They are perfectly capable of thinking that since they have earned security (labor union status, a college education, a medical degree, tenure, etc.), the world owes them a living."

Why do people do what other people do? I don't feel this urge to be like everyone else. It's probably because I'm ND lol

Same! I hate society and the fact that I'm forced to participate in it against my will just to ensure my survival. It's basically forced upon me. I don't have a choice

I actually kind of admire you for standing up for what you believe in. I don't blame you either. I think it sucks we are just bred to comply to all this capitalist shit.

I think another thing is, we want an easy life. Sometimes that means toeing the line, rather than rebelling and facing all that criticism and judgement from everyone. From ourselves even. Seeing as we internalize all that shit, we can end up feeling like failures when we don't comply.