Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
whether one should commit suicide is the only serious question in life, as by living you simply realize life's pointlessness,
and by dying you simply avoid life's pointlessness, so either answer (to live, or to die) is equally viable.

I do not think it is wrong in any sense to choose suicide; to choose not to be. Yes, opting for suicide appears more understandable when persons are terminally ill or are experiencing extreme suffering (i.e., assisted suicide), but that is because living to endure suffering and nothing else does not appear to be a
life worth living; a value judgment, more subjective meaning. Thus, persons who do not enjoy life, whether for philosophical and/or psycho-biological and/or
circumstantial reasons, are confronting life's most serious question, the answer to which is a completely personal choice.

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, sserafim, Forever Sleep and 2 others
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
whether one should commit suicide is the only serious question in life, as by living you simply realize life's pointlessness,
and by dying you simply avoid life's pointlessness, so either answer (to live, or to die) is equally viable.

I do not think it is wrong in any sense to choose suicide; to choose not to be. Yes, opting for suicide appears more understandable when persons are terminally ill or are experiencing extreme suffering (i.e., assisted suicide), but that is because living to endure suffering and nothing else does not appear to be a
life worth living; a value judgment, more subjective meaning. Thus, persons who do not enjoy life, whether for philosophical and/or psycho-biological and/or
circumstantial reasons, are confronting life's most serious question, the answer to which is a completely personal choice.
Fair. Though, I would say whether one should commit suicide is less the only serious question and more one of the more important ones. "Do I believe in god?" "What is my moral code?" and etc are also very serious

Reactions: Darkover
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

If you have doubts, reach out. Here to listen.
Jul 15, 2024
by living you simply realize life's pointlessness
Most people have purpose in life that makes life worth living to them. But I get what you're saying.

Thus, persons who do not enjoy life, whether for philosophical and/or psycho-biological and/or
Mhm, agreed.

Reactions: sugarb and Darkover
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Most people have purpose in life that makes life worth living to them. But I get what you're saying.
Yes the idea that living at least gives you a chance to create your own meaning, which is still ultimately pointless, but might be something more to argue for than the absolute finality of death.

Reactions: sugarb
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Hmm, yeah but, suicides don't happen is isolation. For many people, they will deeply impact other loved one's lives. I think most people consider this. We will be inflicting harm on the people we care about. I don't think it's such a cold, logical decision as in this kind of equation for a lot of people. It would be nice if it could be of course. I don't like life so, I'm leaving it. Great.

Reactions: Darkover
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

Jul 15, 2024
Yes the idea that living at least gives you a chance to create your own meaning, which is still ultimately pointless, but might be something more to argue for than the absolute finality of death.
Are all finite things pointless?

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Are all finite things pointless
Meaning is often subjective. A finite thing—a relationship, a moment of joy, a work of art—may hold deep personal significance even though it doesn't last forever. For instance, the knowledge that a relationship may one day end doesn't make the love and connection shared within it any less real or meaningful while it lasts. Similarly, the fact that a beautiful sunset only lasts a few minutes doesn't diminish its beauty or the pleasure it brings.

GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

Jul 15, 2024
Meaning is often subjective. A finite thing—a relationship, a moment of joy, a work of art—may hold deep personal significance even though it doesn't last forever. For instance, the knowledge that a relationship may one day end doesn't make the love and connection shared within it any less real or meaningful while it lasts. Similarly, the fact that a beautiful sunset only lasts a few minutes doesn't diminish its beauty or the pleasure it brings.
as by living you simply realize life's pointlessness

So why suggest that life being pointless is an eventual realisation?

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Hmm, yeah but, suicides don't happen is isolation. For many people, they will deeply impact other loved one's lives. I think most people consider this. We will be inflicting harm on the people we care about. I don't think it's such a cold, logical decision as in this kind of equation for a lot of people. It would be nice if it could be of course. I don't like life so, I'm leaving it. Great.
You're absolutely right in pointing out that suicide is far from a cold, logical decision for most people. The emotional complexity surrounding it, particularly the impact on loved ones, is a significant factor that weighs heavily on the minds of those contemplating it. The decision to end one's life is often entangled with feelings of guilt, fear of causing pain to others, and the deep connections we have with those we care about.

what if we where pure logical machines without emotions
Without emotions as a means to assess what's safe and not, good or bad, right or wrong, we could quickly end up directionless… and much more likely to get into trouble. In some scenarios - and particularly without fear informing our choices - we'd be more likely to get physically injured, or even to die.
So why suggest that life being pointless is an eventual realisation?
Ultimately, whether life is perceived as pointless or meaningful depends on one's perspective. Some people may come to see life as pointless as they grapple with its inherent uncertainties and challenges. Others, however, find or create meaning through love, creativity, relationships, personal growth, or contributing to something greater than themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forever Sleep and GuessWhosBack
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Are all finite things pointless?
I would say that ultimately, yes. At least for me, anyway. I can enjoy finite things for a while if I ignore my own logic, but eventually I acknowledge that they are pointless.

It's like building a sandcastle on a beach. The tide comes to destroy it eventually, so there's no point in making one. It can be enjoyable to do so for a while. You can find meaning in building temporary sandcastles despite the pointlessness. But given enough time, one would get bored of making sandcastles and the artificially created meaning would cease to exist, leading to meaninglessness. That's the case for me, anyway. Some people are content to make sandcastles forever.

Reactions: sserafim, GuessWhosBack and Darkover
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

Jul 15, 2024
I would say that ultimately, yes. At least for me, anyway. I can enjoy finite things for a while if I ignore my own logic, but eventually I acknowledge that they are pointless.

It's like building a sandcastle on a beach. The tide comes to destroy it eventually, so there's no point in making one. It can be enjoyable to do so for a while. You can find meaning in building temporary sandcastles despite the pointlessness. But given enough time, one would get bored of making sandcastles and the artificially created meaning would cease to exist, leading to meaninglessness. That's the case for me, anyway. Some people are content to make sandcastles forever.
That's well put, yeah I get it. Finite set theorists in shambles rn.

• Hugs
Reactions: sugarb
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
I long to live in a society where people see suicide as value-neutral