Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
At long last, I was able to see a second CRS [colorectal surgeon] yesterday for a second opinion (I've written about this and the backstory in several other places and times, but in short: I have a lovely combination of hypertonic pelvic floor, multiple problematic/worsening hemorrhoids, and a propensity for anal fissures).

I'd already had my main CRS advise against surgery for fissures given the complex and interrelated nature of the issues, but when corresponding with his office regarding hemorrhoid treatment, I'd been told the only options would be banding (the least invasive), or surgery (the most invasive, and apparently an all-round horrible experience). Well, with hemorrhoids having continued to get worse, I sought out another doctor through my hospital to see about the mid-range options I'd read about.

All well and good in that they could do them, he said, but he advised against not only the surgery but basically any procedure, given they'd all likely worsen the pelvic piece, which in turn would just make everything else worse. Trick is: I've been seeing a pelvic physiotherapist and (mostly) keeping up with the (most important) exercises intermittently over the last year...and things are still at this point. She can't even manage any internal therapy because - you guessed it - the hemorrhoids are too significant. Plus, the way the health"care" system here currently works, physio of this kind is not a covered expense, even if indicated by a physician whose services are, such as a CRS (I could write a freaking essay on the degradation of that system so I won't get into it). I hardly see her these days for these reasons.

I never was keen on the idea of anal surgery/procedures, but the fact that it's not even a good option, now that I've suffered enough to be considering it, is really...I don't even know the word. Disappointing? Frustrating? It's not new to me but dashed hopes in the medical field just keep coming. It's one thing to be a candidate for a surgery or whatever and things go wrong - that's always an option. But what do you do when the surgeons, who would be making money by treating you, are telling you themselves you shouldn't do it? Just sit and degrade until things are so bad you decide to try your luck and something that you already know going into it has a very good chance of not only not helping you, but leaving you worse?

I do consider myself fortunate I don't have it as bad physically as many here do, though this is only my primary medical concern. It's all been so exhausting. After the appointment I came home and just slept for over an hour. Ugh. I know it can be an immense challenge, but to anyone reading whose body is in pretty good working order, please do your best to take care of and maintain it. Without health there is nothing, and that pertains to both body and mind.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, western_heart, whywere and 1 other person