RedPanda

RedPanda

One day we shall be free from this mortal coil.
Jul 16, 2019
Why do anything if nothing really matters? We all die, we seize to exist so why do anything? We don't retain any knowledge, we take nothing with us when we die, we just become...nothing. An endless void that we are not aware of because...we're nothing.

Why do we even exist? What is the purpose of life? To find our own purpose? Why?

Endless reproduction? This is purpose? Why?

Why start something with no purpose? I just don't understand why we even exist.

The fact that we're told to "find our own purpose" clearly means that life is meaningless. There is no purpose to live.

I just don't see the point of anything if it means nothing when we die so why even exist in the first place? I guess nobody has the answer to this...

Something I always think about...

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, ContinuousJump, death137 and 15 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Why go on holiday when you're going to come back?

• Love
Reactions: Clodius, IanUK and Dead Meat
RedPanda

RedPanda

One day we shall be free from this mortal coil.
Jul 16, 2019
Everything is meaningless...

• Love
Reactions: rioghbhardain, pthnrdnojvsc, Maaizr and 2 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
You give it meaning. It's the mystery that makes it interesting. Once you know the answer it's not interesting anymore

• Love
Reactions: Dead Meat
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
To me there is no real purpose, we only exist because of evolution. Existence is pointless and meaningless, human beings are born, they suffer and die and that cycle just repeats. All we are doing is waiting around for death to come, which is our inevitable fate. Everything we do is just a distraction, just to pass the time. I just see life as a hopeless struggle. It does frustrate me that I was born in the first place and have to endure this pointless existence. I wish I was never born. I do not see a point to living. The thing I want is to fall into an eternal sleep.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: hotblooded, rioghbhardain, death137 and 9 others
Fakereality

Fakereality

Student
Aug 4, 2021
That's the kind of question you should try to avoid thinking about because all it does is makes you feel disappointed and sad knowing there's no meaning or anything here it's all just something which happened because of random chances random stuff happened at random ways to make our existence happened.

Reactions: stygal, WaaaghEnjoyer and Dead Meat
mustard_glass

mustard_glass

Aug 10, 2021
You give it meaning.
I wanna throw up every time I see this sentence. It only confirms that life in itself is indeed completely pointless and meaningless.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, EOL4ME, stupidmansuit and 14 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
I wanna throw up every time I see this sentence. It only confirms that life in itself is indeed completely pointless and meaningless.
Well scientifically speaking it's just to procreate. The rest is up to you. What's the point in me writing this? Because I wanted to

LostSoul1609

LostSoul1609

Experienced
Mar 9, 2021
Why do anything if nothing really matters? We all die, we seize to exist so why do anything? We don't retain any knowledge, we take nothing with us when we die, we just become...nothing. An endless void that we are not aware of because...we're nothing.

Why do we even exist? What is the purpose of life? To find our own purpose? Why?

Endless reproduction? This is purpose? Why?

Why start something with no purpose? I just don't understand why we even exist.

The fact that we're told to "find our own purpose" clearly means that life is meaningless. There is no purpose to live.

I just don't see the point of anything if it means nothing when we die so why even exist in the first place? I guess nobody has the answer to this...

Something I always think about...
Maybe because a purpose isn't something universal, it can't be one appliable to all humans, you have to figure out your own meaning if you are looking for meaning.
No human is born the same so why should they have the same purpose?

Reactions: Mr2005
deflationary

deflationary

Fussy exister. Living in the epilogue
Mar 11, 2020
Well scientifically speaking it's just to procreate.
That's not really true either. Science doesn't tell us that the meaning of life is to procreate, it just tells us that that's what most organisms strive to do.

Reactions: justsayin, ncmxm, chocolatebar and 3 others
I

IanUK

Mar 25, 2021
There is zero meaning to life apart from to reproduce which is pretty much identical to all other life on this planet. Mankind however is the only species to make the whole pointless exercise as miserable and painful as possible. I've always been of the school of what is the point but the last 2 years of this Covid shite and the truth behind it makes the whole future even less enticing. I live in the UK and m seriously considering getting a gun to protect from an increasingly deranged society and as a quick exit strategy - Americans are so lucky living in a society that recognises the value of carrying arms.

Reactions: ContinuousJump, one.way.out, pthnrdnojvsc and 2 others
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
The one that you manufacture for yourself.

TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
I simply don't understand this question.
You don't single out some random rock on the bottom of the ocean and contemplate its purpose; it exists, nothing more, nothing less.
"When nothing matters, you are truly free", "You can make your own meaning", "One must imagine Sisyphus happy";
These are coping mechanism that many resort to in order to deal with this vacuous question, which leads one to wonder:
Why is there a reason to cope with the lack of meaning?
The way I see it, the root of the problem is not the lack of meaning. The only reason why one should search for a meaning in the first place is in order to justify something, in this case existence itself.
The question arises whether you would ponder this question if you were perfectly content with your life. I believe not. You would happily live your life and go on your merry way, as you would not feel the need to justify your existence.
Most people arrive at this question in a time of crisis, be it due to mental pain, physical pain or merely an existential crisis (which one could argue to be some form of mental pain as well), because they feel the urge to justify their suffering.
Suffering is inherently bad and is avoided at all costs by any organism that is able to experience it. When one suffers, one hopes that there is a reason behind it; why should all that pain be for naught?
Therefore, the fundamental problem with existence is not the lack of meaning, but the enormous potential for suffering it entails for sentient beings.
Due to this potential for suffering, life is not only meaningless, but also unnecessary; the lack of meaning is merely an insult to injury.
In a universe devoid of life there are no problems, hence a lifeless universe is not necessarily unnecessary. Life, however, is unnecessary, since there is no problem life can solve that it didn't create in the first place. A disaster cannot occur without life.
To summarise: There is no purpose to this absurd spectacle (why should there be any?), and the craving for all of it to have some greater meaning stems from the need to justify the pain one experiences.

This is just my worthless opinion, as all of this has most likely been articulated by some famous person with far greater precision.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Élégie, EOL4ME, now_or_never and 12 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
The purpose in life is just to be kind to others and the planet while you are here. Although it is overall a pretty meaningless world.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ncmxm and Mr2005
W

wall876

Aug 17, 2021
I believe the main purpose we live is to reproduce. I'm not a biologist so I don't know how or why evolution wants us to reproduce because one day we will be extinct. Only for the cycle to repeat itself in the next universe.

Reactions: WaaaghEnjoyer
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
I believe the main purpose we live is to reproduce. I'm not a biologist so I don't know how or why evolution wants us to reproduce because one day we will be extinct. Only for the cycle to repeat itself in the next universe.
Bingo! This is pretty much it when you break it down. People forget that we are basically animals just with more freedoms and a bit more self awareness, the sole purpose of animals is to reproduce and stay alive another day.

Reactions: Maaizr and WaaaghEnjoyer
WaaaghEnjoyer

WaaaghEnjoyer

destroy the status quo
Aug 15, 2021
I used to think that the purpose of life is to try and be happy. And I think that everything most people do can be traced back to trying to be happy (this is also the reason why I exist, as my mom said that as an adult you can't be happy without having children)

And I would've still had the same opinion if I wouldn't have had an existential crisis which made me look at the bigger picture and life as a whole. Only then I saw that we are only conscious because it helped us expand faster compared to other species of animals or even humans, and we find coping mechanisms to deal with this harsh reality. These coping mechanisms are necessary to be able to once again have a happy life. But these mechanisms push you away from the truth, into the comfortable state of having only the illusion of knowledge.

So, if you aren't worried about not remembering anything after you die, the purpose of life is to be happy. Otherwise, there is no purpose to anything and there is no reason to continue living.

Reactions: Maaizr
I

I exist

Jul 24, 2021
Why go on holiday when you're going to come back?
Because I that scenario you actually have memories when you come back. I'm not religious so I don't believe there is an afterlife which makes everything pointless. We don't make anything better, we don't remember anything we did afterwards, everything we do is literally pointless. In my opinion you might as well just do whatever you want and for some people that's dying.

Reactions: ncmxm
S

suisuiforum

Experienced
Jul 4, 2021
I agree that there is no inherent meaning in life, and it's great that people are free to forge their own path forward if it lessens the pressure on people to pursue a specific type of lifestyle. However, for those of us who don't find enjoyment in life at all, our choice to die should be respected as well when it is simply one decision among many others we've already made that will result in the best possible outcome for us. It's frustrating that the current Overton window doesn't include voluntary euthanasia for consenting individuals as a fundamental universal human right because higher-ups would rather keep us alive against our will to exploit our labor.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and Maaizr
one.way.out

one.way.out

Student
Jul 9, 2021
I don't really understand why people keep asking or pondering this question. It's not really an important question in my opinion. There is no meaning in life. That's fine by me. I'd guess, just do whatever makes you feel good. For some people, that involves creating artificial meaning, in which case, good for them.

Dear Agony

Dear Agony

The Void
Jan 24, 2020
There is no meaning or purpose in life, aside from pleasure. When pain outweighs the pleasure and you are aware it's not getting better, that makes you suicidal. Having a partner, traveling, laughing, drinking or eating something you like, smoking, having sex, watching a good movie, seeing a beautiful landscape... Those are all pleasurable activities, among others. If you are in pain, those pleasurable activities mean nothing, are just not enough, or you no longer feel happiness experiencing them... I wish I could live to see and experience those things. I miss happiness.

W

Whole-Ad

Student
Apr 4, 2021
As a whole, I do believe there is no reason to exist at all. The only purpose we have is to procreate and continue our existence, as seen in every other animal. But surely other people know this, so how are they still happy? I also believe some people can make their own purpose. For example if I could help other people as a part of my job either paramedic, police etc then I'd have a purpose to my life. However, I'm autistic and find it very difficult to pursue something like this and therefore my life is without purpose and I may as well ctb. That's how I see it.

H

Hurt

Paragon
Nov 13, 2020
To show us how awful is this world

• Love
Reactions: ContinuousJump and fox_wannabe
Jumping_realms

Jumping_realms

★☆★ ☠️★☆★
Jul 4, 2021
What's the point of that. Do we need to know that for some afterlife? How awful earth is?
No. There is no afterlife.

We just deal with a shitty life/world and then die.

• Love
Reactions: Maaizr, pthnrdnojvsc, mustard_glass and 1 other person
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
No. There is no afterlife.

We just deal with a shitty life/world and then die.
With all due respect you haven't died yet so you can't definitely say that there is no afterlife.

• Love
Reactions: Maaizr and mossyfox
M

Mthom2

Student
Oct 19, 2020
I don't think there is a meaning. IMO, we were just one colossal accident that favorable circumstances initiated over thousands of years. Unfortunately, humanity was the result.

Or, some a$$hole divine being created us as either a sick joke or after having lost a bet.

• Love
Reactions: WaaaghEnjoyer