• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

onmy12threason

onmy12threason

When the time is right
Apr 23, 2024
Long time lurker here, this is my first post so please be kind :,)

I still have some fight left in me. I understand that breaking the cycle of depression (Troubles with sleep, existential dread, motivation, etc) is the only way that I can prolong my life. I've done DBT, EMDR, TMS, and a myriad of group therapies. Theoretically, I have all the tools I need to improve. Starting to feel like a basket case. Has anyone been able to identify habits that help break the cycle, even momentarily?

terra.nuvo

terra.nuvo

Student
Feb 15, 2024
I would say I'm in a similar situation to you where I have pretty much all the skills I need to succeed but still find myself stuck in the same cycles. I'm still tring to figure out a good answer to your question for myself. One thing that I think might help though, which is a big part of DBT I think, is doing the opposite action to what my mind tells me to do. So like if I wanted to just lay down and doom scroll all day I would write down the feeling I'm feeling for why I want to do that and then write the action and then write down an opposing action. So for that one an opposing action could be go for a walk or something like that. I'm still trying to see if this is gonna work but it supposed to make doing the big things easier by forcing yourself to do the small things first. Also I feel like writing it down instead of just thinking about it forces me to want to do the opposing action more cause I'm straight up listing what it is instead of keeping it in my mind.

Sorry if that ramble was nonsensical or if this advice isn't helpful. I hope you find some good advice that helps you out on your journey through recovery.

Last edited:
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Being around certain individuals I've been fond of were the only things that ever helped snap me out and made me want to work for a better tomorrow. Without them in front of me though I just get worse and worse and continue to decay.

Reactions: JaJu
Melly

Melly

Pain receptacle
Aug 13, 2019
Disclaimer: I don't know the specifics of your depression & life situation & problems. Apologies if none of my advice is helpful, useful or applicable to you.

Grounding, mindfulness, positive affirmations, finding passion or curiosity for something; any of these help me sometimes, other times I just have to wait for everything to pass. I had a breakthrough when I realized it's easy for me to be curious and amazed by the mundane, maybe there's a positive emotion that comes easy to you and that you can lean on to catch a break from time to time.

There's also the usual; try to keep a schedule or routine, wake up and start trying to sleep at around the same time, go on walks as often as your mental and physical health and life obligations will allow it. If you struggle with hygiene and self care, try to romanticize wellness, figure out how you can make it something calming, soothing or exciting you will look forward to.

Make sure you're never lonely. Ideally find people in your area to spend time with, hell, interact with strangers, you have nothing to lose. If that isn't an option, find an online community to chat with as part of your routine.

Whenever you do find something that helps, write it down. The hardest part in my experience is remembering or finding the motivation to get better. Sometimes it just doesn't work out and that's okay too. Be patient with and kind to yourself.

Reactions: onmy12threason