GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Right now, I'm reading The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge by Carlos Castaneda.

I'll be re-reading all three books, including A Separate Reality and Journey to Ixtlan, after having learned some new things... I'm only a quarter of the way through the first in the series, and already understanding certain things much more than when I first read this book many years ago.

Are you currently into a book? If so, what are you reading?

Reactions: Rocinante, Maudlin, Silent.Tears and 2 others
y'ffre

y'ffre

My English could be bad :)
Aug 15, 2022
Right now, I'm reading The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge by Carlos Castaneda.

I'll be re-reading all three books, including A Separate Reality and Journey to Ixtlan, after having learned some new things... I'm only a quarter of the way through the first in the series, and already understanding certain things much more than when I first read this book many years ago.

Are you currently into a book? If so, what are you reading?
I have all the books of Castaneda. I have read them all. They are very enjoyable!
I am re-reading The Mindful Way Through Depression right now.

• Love
Reactions: GentleJerk
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
I have all the books of Castaneda. I have read them all. They are very enjoyable!
I am re-reading The Mindful Way Through Depression right now.
How rare that someone has read Castaneda's books in this day and age! That's brilliant.

Sounds like a good book suggestion!

• Yay!
Reactions: y'ffre
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
I started this the week before i started work. I have it in standby, but i'll continue it for sure
31KFb5phBL SX327 BO1204203200

• Love
Reactions: Celerity, houseofleaves and GentleJerk
y'ffre

y'ffre

Aug 15, 2022
How rare that someone has read Castaneda's books in this day and age! That's brilliant.

Sounds like a good book suggestion!
I am very interested in spiritualism otherwise I would not read them, unfortunately, but thanks :)
Yes, that's a good book (I mean I am re-reading) that solved most of my problems.

Last edited:
  • Love
bubo

bubo

Jul 14, 2022
I'm currently reading The Body Keeps The Score. I bought it about a year ago actually but never found the time to read it cuz' whenever i sat down to read my cat would interrupt me but now that cat is dead so i have all the time to read i want. The book is very good, i'm sure you've probably heard of it and might have already read it yourself but if you have not, i highly recommend it.!

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: GentleJerk and houseofleaves
I

Ixadavt

Plaster on a fake smile; plow through another day.
Aug 18, 2022
I've been simultaneously reading East of Eden and rereading Time of Contempt (5th or 6th read).

• Love
Reactions: nux_walpurgis, GentleJerk and houseofleaves
Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
I have been reading taggerung by brian jacques. It's about a young otter that was kidnapped by vermin after having his father murdered by them and then being raised to believe that he is one of them. His redwall series is essentially a collection of books about medieval creatures living in the country of mossflower. Overall it's very comfy, and its tradition at this point to reread at least one of his novels each year, preferably close to the autumn time.

• Love
Reactions: WearyHSP, Sakura94 and GentleJerk
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Wheel of Time: The Great Hunt (Book 2)

I appreciate Robert Jordan's prose. It's not eloquent often, but it doesn't go overboard or skimp on details. The plot generally moves at a reasonable pace.

• Love
Reactions: nux_walpurgis, GentleJerk and Panna
WearyHSP

WearyHSP

Student
Dec 12, 2021
I'm currently reading The Body Keeps The Score. I bought it about a year ago actually but never found the time to read it cuz' whenever i sat down to read my cat would interrupt me but now that cat is dead so i have all the time to read i want. The book is very good, i'm sure you've probably heard of it and might have already read it yourself but if you have not, i highly recommend it.!
Me too!
I listen on audible, and whenever there's some jewel I want to note, i struggle to take notes, so I bought the paperback to highlight bits.
I've tried for 35 years to overcome childhood trauma and it seems to only get worse. The book is really validating and I feel a little less alone just listening to it.

foreverfalling

foreverfalling

Experienced
Jul 22, 2022
I'm reading Solitude: A Return to the Self. I'm pleasantly surprised by the detailed references and discussion of psychology and history so far, and has explanations of why people prefer being alone which I can relate to.

• Love
Reactions: GentleJerk and Celerity
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Carlos Castaneda is frequently thrown about in conspiracy circles, have you learned something interesting conspiracy wise reading those books?

I´m currently finishing Los parientes from Pearl S. Buck. Can´t find the English title now. I recommend most of the books from this author.

• Love
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
You're right that I've heard of The Body Keeps The Score. Apparently it touches on some important and often overlooked characteristics of PTSD. I've never read it! Sounds like it's worth looking into though, for sure.
Carlos Castaneda is frequently thrown about in conspiracy circles, have you learned something interesting conspiracy wise reading those books?

I´m currently finishing Los parientes from Pearl S. Buck. Can´t find the English title now. I recommend most of the books from this author.
Oh cool! I wasn't aware Castaneda's books are popular in any circles, especially being such old and esoteric literature! I've never met another person IRL or online so far who has read them, until now with @y'ffre .

Have I learned anything conspiracy wise from the books? Well, I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I'd say the answer is most likely no. The books are obviously allegory, and also tyled, so it's difficult to really learn much from them, other than the story being told.

However, it depends on who's reading the books, and the knowledge that person already has, or is in the process of having. To profane readers without the keys, the books remain locked for the most part, so to speak, and may even seem a bit ridiculous. There would be little of real value to learn.

Even so, I think they are still worth reading. As they are one of a kind, and entertaining too. Plus, you never know when you might learn something in the future, that makes you remember back to something incomprehensible you once read, and have a sudden *lightbulb* moment.

Reactions: bubo, whatevs and y'ffre
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
Reading Twilight of the Idols, from The Portable Nietzsche

Reactions: Maudlin, Celerity and GentleJerk
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021

Could it be Kinfolk? Thanks for reminding me of this author. I loved reading her books years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: GentleJerk and whatevs
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
Aphantasia and memory deficits robbed me of the joy of reading books. It's been decades since I've read any.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: whatevs, GentleJerk, WearyHSP and 2 others
WearyHSP

WearyHSP

Student
Dec 12, 2021
You all seem so literary.

Other than, "The Body Keeps the Score" I've recently discovered Neil Gaiman and have scooped up several of his books on audio.
Because of the Netflix series, "Shadow and Bone" and Audible's free month for the first of the series, I gobbled that up and continued with the second of the trilogy. By chance of a sale price I listened to, "The Hike" which I thoroughly enjoyed and loved the ending. Kind of a spiritual message hidden in a fantasy struggle with a lot of swearing.
Fantasy is one of the few ways I can take a break from my sad existence. Currently listening to: "Lakeview House" because it was super cheap on Audible but the mystery and characters have kept my attention even if it is a bit of fluff.
Aphantasia and memory deficits robbed me of the joy of reading books. It's been decades since I've read any.
I had to look up "aphantasia." That seems like something that's worse than generally imagined. I'm really sorry.

I have a disabling neuro-immune illness that greatly affects my cognition, so I don't read books any more. But I'm lucky that I can usually focus enough to listen to an audible book, mostly when preparing meals. I'm always alone so the "voice" telling me a given story makes me feel a little less lonely.

I can't imagine not being able to visualize a story. It sounds like you acquired aphantasia, rather than it being genetic? Brought on by an illness of some sort? (just curious, if I'm overstepping just ignore my question.)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Celerity and GentleJerk
y'ffre

y'ffre

Aug 15, 2022
You're right that I've heard of The Body Keeps The Score. Apparently it touches on some important and often overlooked characteristics of PTSD. I've never read it! Sounds like it's worth looking into though, for sure.

Oh cool! I wasn't aware Castaneda's books are popular in any circles, especially being such old and esoteric literature! I've never met another person IRL or online so far who has read them, until now with @y'ffre .

Have I learned anything conspiracy wise from the books? Well, I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I'd say the answer is most likely no. The books are obviously allegory, and also tyled, so it's difficult to really learn much from them, other than the story being told.

However, it depends on who's reading the books, and the knowledge that person already has, or is in the process of having. To profane readers without the keys, the books remain locked for the most part, so to speak, and may even seem a bit ridiculous. There would be little of real value to learn.

Even so, I think they are still worth reading. As they are one of a kind, and entertaining too. Plus, you never know when you might learn something in the future, that makes you remember back to something incomprehensible you once read, and have a sudden *lightbulb* moment.
You are right there is not much to learn from them. Maybe I can consider using mescalin If I get the chance.
Practically reading witchcraft books is preferable. At least they contain practical knowledge that anyone is willing can study.

• Love
Inkling

Inkling

Mar 10, 2021
Metternich, Strategist and Visionary

Pretty nice book so far, although in an attempt to make a biography without the biases that previous works had, the author ended up with a strong bias of his own, still an interesting person to learn about. After this I'll be reading Lord Jim because I like boats. Or maybe We Are Bellingcat, one of the two.

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022

I guess I assumed you knew what I was talking about. It probably came first from David Icke, a quote from Carlos Castaneda which described our world as an "humanero", a human farm, and that the archons, or Watchers had given us their mind.

castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
I'm not much of a reader, but after successfully reading a Clive Cussler novel, I've been "stuck" on this novel by (Julie Clark - the last flight). Don't know if I'll get it finished before I CTB.

GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
I guess I assumed you knew what I was talking about. It probably came first from David Icke, a quote from Carlos Castaneda which described our world as an "humanero", a human farm, and that the archons, or Watchers had given us their mind.

My daughters grandma loves David Icke. The thing about being in the kook groups is, you automatically don't know what your talking about. Even when it's true.

Actually, last night after reading your comment I did a quick online search and found a few videos and articles about the Castaneda cults and his personal life etc. I really had no idea his books were so influential and well known. I've only read the first three, The Teachings, A Separate Reality, and Journey to Ixtlan. Out of these three, I can really only say that I wish to re-read the first book at this time.

One thing I will say, his books and his life aside, Castenada was greatly successful in what he set out to do. And success is usually the measure.

Funny thing you should mention that, I am aware of the existence of so-called archons, mainly as featured within Gnosticism, but also from the many rambling videos of David Griffin's HOGD. In Castaneda's books, this Gnostic and qabalistic concept of archons is clearly paralleled in certain chapters through the lens of Don Juan as the jumping flyers, who prey on the spirits of men but whose influence sorcerers can overcome through awareness and great discipline.

I relate to what Morpheus says in The Matrix, "...You feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad." Like so many things going wrong that are not an accident, but somehow deliberate...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Maudlin and whatevs
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
You all seem so literary.

Other than, "The Body Keeps the Score" I've recently discovered Neil Gaiman and have scooped up several of his books on audio.
Because of the Netflix series, "Shadow and Bone" and Audible's free month for the first of the series, I gobbled that up and continued with the second of the trilogy. By chance of a sale price I listened to, "The Hike" which I thoroughly enjoyed and loved the ending. Kind of a spiritual message hidden in a fantasy struggle with a lot of swearing.
Fantasy is one of the few ways I can take a break from my sad existence. Currently listening to: "Lakeview House" because it was super cheap on Audible but the mystery and characters have kept my attention even if it is a bit of fluff.

I had to look up "aphantasia." That seems like something that's worse than generally imagined. I'm really sorry.

I have a disabling neuro-immune illness that greatly affects my cognition, so I don't read books any more. But I'm lucky that I can usually focus enough to listen to an audible book, mostly when preparing meals. I'm always alone so the "voice" telling me a given story makes me feel a little less lonely.

I can't imagine not being able to visualize a story. It sounds like you acquired aphantasia, rather than it being genetic? Brought on by an illness of some sort? (just curious, if I'm overstepping just ignore my question.)
Have you seen The Sandman series on Netflix? That's Gaiman's too IIRC.

Reactions: WearyHSP and GentleJerk
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
I'm not a big fan of books unless it's factual and academic. Only book I'm reading now is PPH.

WearyHSP

WearyHSP

Student
Dec 12, 2021
Have you seen The Sandman series on Netflix? That's Gaiman's too IIRC.
Yes I loved it.
The caveat being that I don't read comic books - just the films based on them.

Did you see it? What do you think? Clearly money was poured into the project - they are beautiful episodes.

I've also seen:
Good Omens on Prime
American Gods on Starz (haven't read it yet but plan to)
Coraline (stop motion)
Stardust

I have gratitude to film and TV since my disability is extremely limiting. It allows a momentary respite from my sad life and a way to vicariously experience something else.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Yes I loved it.
The caveat being that I don't read comic books - just the films based on them.

Did you see it? What do you think? Clearly money was poured into the project - they are beautiful episodes.

I've also seen:
Good Omens on Prime
American Gods on Starz (haven't read it yet but plan to)
Coraline (stop motion)
Stardust

I have gratitude to film and TV since my disability is extremely limiting. It allows a momentary respite from my sad life and a way to vicariously experience something else.
I disliked the last 3-4 episodes. The girl they had playing Rose Walker couldn't act for shit, and most of the plot revolves around her at that point. A lot of people took issue with Gwendolyn Christie's Lucifer, but she was one of my favorites.

S

Shu8

Nov 23, 2022
Poking holes by juan valencia ( I felt like I was watching gore videos)

A reckoning by may sarton (It was a good read)

O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
On the Suffering of the World By Arthur Schopenhauer

Reactions: Maudlin
Silent.Tears

Silent.Tears

Experienced
Nov 5, 2021
Haven't read anything for 4-5 months. Lost all motivation to do anything for about 2 months. And it's getting worse.
I really love reading fiction. The most read author is Agatha Christie. Reading her books is such comforting experience for me, never fails to make me feel better. I'm posting this so that my mind is committed to pick up a book (most probably Sad Cypress) and finally feel atleast a little bit better after months.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
Am currently 50 pages into "On A Pale Horse" by Pier's Anthony, Book 1 of Seven.