dunkelheit

dunkelheit

Null | Void
Oct 26, 2018
I have been thinking for a while as to whether or not smoking is more prevalent among people with depression as well as similar/linked mental disorders.

I for one smoke and have been for about 7 years now (roughly 15-20 micro slim cigs/day). I did quit last year for about 4 months but relapsed. I do think smoking does have an influence on my mood/mental state as I do feel some serenity in knowing that smoking is shortening my life in the long run. When you're this deep into misery it becomes an incentive to continue, at least for me.

Any other smokers here?

Reactions: sif, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, gingerplum and 2 others
W

wxtyubidi7y

Student
Jun 30, 2018
I have been thinking for a while as to whether or not smoking is more prevalent among people with depression as well as similar/linked mental disorders.

Yeah mentally ill people smoke like trains.

"While the prevalence of smoking in the total U.S. population is about 25 to 30 percent, the prevalence among people with schizophrenia is approximately three times as high - or almost 90%, and approximately 60% to 70% for people who have bipolar disorder."

"Related to this issue of very high smoking rates, recent research out of Harvard University has even suggested that approximately 44%% of all cigarettes sold in the United States, are consumed by the mentally ill (who represent perhaps 4% to 8% of the population)"

http://www.schizophrenia.com/smokereport.htm (2006)

Reactions: sif, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Smilla and 1 other person
M

Miss clefable

Enlightened
Aug 23, 2018
I've only just started and I'm really enjoying it

Reactions: sif, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, gingerplum and 1 other person
Norest4thewicked

Norest4thewicked

Losing it
Nov 4, 2018
Been smoking over 35 years

Reactions: sif, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Smilla and 3 others
muretax

muretax

Alien
Nov 13, 2018
I've been a smoker for about 10 years now. Started when I was 12 years old and I'm currently 22. It's honestly the worst, I've been looking into quitting

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Johnnythefox and gingerplum
gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018

I for one smoke and have been for about 7 years now (roughly 15-20 micro slim cigs/day). I did quit last year for about 4 months but relapsed. I do think smoking does have an influence on my mood/mental state as I do feel some serenity in knowing that smoking is shortening my life in the long run. When you're this deep into misery it becomes an incentive to continue, at least for me.

Any other smokers here?

I smoke about a pack a week of menthol Capris. Smoked on & off for 30 yrs.

What's a micro slim cigarette?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
Never smoked in my life but I do comfort eat so it's a type of addiction.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, mattwitt and Jen Erik
Jen Erik

Jen Erik

-
Oct 12, 2018
I wonder if the prevalence is influenced by the fact that it is a legal substance and readily accessible down at the corner store.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and dunkelheit
Whatshername

Whatshername

That Ghost Lady on the Hill
Dec 14, 2018
I have been smoking since I was 17. I quit a few times, but always relapsed. Just another thing I hate about myself, it smells terrible, it's unhealthy, it's expensive.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and gingerplum
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Smoker here.

Reactions: sif and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Former smoker of almost forty years, been vaping for a year now and not had a smoke since starting.

Reactions: sif, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and wxtyubidi7y
N

NotWorthLiving

Enlightened
Dec 8, 2018
Never had a smoke

Reactions: sif, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Kill Me Now
dunkelheit

dunkelheit

Null | Void
Oct 26, 2018
I smoke about a pack a week of menthol Capris. Smoked on & off for 30 yrs.

What's a micro slim cigarette?
Sorry I was referring to hand rolled cigarettes with micro slim filters, the smallest filter size.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and gingerplum
Threads

Threads

Warlock
Jul 13, 2018
Before I was into Starbucks, I was into cigarettes.

I would go to this specialized tobacco store in a nearby city, buy all sorts of niche and foreign tobacco blends, I'd roll it in hemp paper, and pop a cork filter on the end. 10/10 miss smoking. I bought organic tobacco and carried a bucket with me and just rolled cigarettes all the time. It was fucking great.

Hemp paper is awesome for cigarettes. My biggest regret in life isn't that I quit smoking, it's that I became a non-smoker.

Reactions: sif, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and gingerplum
gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
Before I was into Starbucks, I was into cigarettes.

I would go to this specialized tobacco store in a nearby city, buy all sorts of niche and foreign tobacco blends, I'd roll it in hemp paper, and pop a cork filter on the end. 10/10 miss smoking. I bought organic tobacco and carried a bucket with me and just rolled cigarettes all the time. It was fucking great.

Hemp paper is awesome for cigarettes. My biggest regret in life isn't that I quit smoking, it's that I became a non-smoker.

Nobody likes a quitter ;)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, 2211264 and Threads