Darkover

Darkover

Illuminated
Jul 29, 2021
This world is coming to an end

we've got less than 200 years to get out into space and bring resources back otherwise we will be stuck on this rock without any resources

rising sea levels, depleting fish stocks, population,soil erosion, global warming ,deforestation,
running out of sand,running out of helium,coral reef destruction,increase of mental illness,
fresh drinking water running out, trend is towards an older population,declining of births rates,
decline of sperm count in men,the world's rare earth metals are running out,Increasing total debt,
Increasing unemployment, collapse of ecosystems and loss of biodiversity,
chemical pollution of the Earth system, including the atmosphere and oceans, depletion of resources,

natrual gas we could estimate that the proven reserves would last for approximately 53 years

According to data from the BP Statistical Review of World Energy (2021), the world had about 50.9 years of proven oil reserves at the end of 2020, based on the then-current production rates.

there's 7,500,000,000,000,000,000 grains of sand on the earth weighing around 10 trillion tons

50,000,000,000,000, 50 billion kg of sand used per year
8,000,000,000 population
6,250 number of kg per year per person
17 kg per day per person

we have around 150 years worth of sand left

There are an estimated 3.5 trillion fish in the ocean.
around 124 billion individual fish are now slaughtered each year.
More than 350,000 fish are born every day thats 127 million fish per year
at current rates of fishing we have around 50 years worth of fish left

3 trillion trees on earth, 15 billion cut down per year we have at most 230 years worth of trees left

15 billion trees
An estimated 15 billion trees are cut down each year—more than 41 million trees per day. Given this pace of land degradation, it's hard to imagine how traditional reforestation methods, which rely on the hand-planting of live seedlings, could ever keep up.

According to compiled statistics, including the United Nations Environmental Program, approximately 1.9 billion trees are planted yearly.

that mean we lose around 13 billion trees per year we have at most 230 years worth of trees left

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DeIetedUser4739, Throwawayacc3 and sserafim
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I really hope we don't start ripping resources out of other planets. Isn't it enough we've f*cked up this one?

The answers aren't complicated though- if all that troubles you- which I'd say it should... Don't have children- then you won't have to worry about your own offspring dealing with all that. Become more mindful of your own impact on the earth- go vegan/vegetarian, try to reduce your carbon footprint and all that. There are things we could all be doing but I think- chances are, we won't bother. We like our 'comfortable' and 'convenient' lives too much to make massive changes to them- that goes for me too. I've only made minor adjustments to feel slightly less shit about myself!

Reactions: sserafim and Darkover
Darkover

Darkover

Illuminated
Jul 29, 2021
I really hope we don't start ripping resources out of other planets. Isn't it enough we've f*cked up this one?
i don't think we can make it onto other planets in a reasonable time frame more likely asteroid mining, the closest next solar system is 4.246 light years away, the fastest thing man has made to travel in space is Parker Solar Probe traveled at a speed of 394,736 miles per hour, the speed of light is 671,000,000 miles per hour thats means the probe travel at less 0.06 the speed of light, it would take 70 years at that speed to reach the nearest solar system

Reactions: sserafim and Forever Sleep
shinohara

shinohara

Feb 26, 2023
this is mostly my reason for CTB at some point. Even if the human race somehow manages to subvert all that, we will eventually cease to exist. Everything we worked for will be for nothing and no one, which is the whole reason we even really continue on :/

• Love
Reactions: sserafim and Archness
Archness

Archness

Defective Personel
Jan 20, 2023
this is mostly my reason for CTB at some point. Even if the human race somehow manages to subvert all that, we will eventually cease to exist. Everything we worked for will be for nothing and no one, which is the whole reason we even really continue on :/
Nihilism. Everything returns to nothing in the end, but I think being alive and with finite lives means that, effectively, the amount of "time" that really maters is finite too, to essentially our own lifetimes, and maybe a few generations latter. The further from our death (or birth) the less whatever happens matter to us, somewhat exponentially. The inevitable heat death of the universe... 99% of people don't care, as it's so far from their own life.

That's just my personal opinion.

But returning to OP, I think a large reason why nihilism and the mindset of "Now matters, later doesn't" has taken hold of individuals, groups, politics, and entire societies, is that everyone subconsciously "senses" that there's very few generations left before things go to shit or outright end. Modern society and life is fundamentally reliant on finite resources. Earth is getting polluted and ruined, humans fucking everything up by sheer dominance and power. The future could be said to be "unpredictable", but in modern times is literally "Anything Goes". Greed, corruption, ego, war, conflict, etc, the very things that pushed people to make a society like this will be it's downfall.

Politicians and elites always knew this, knew that there's finite resources, and time, for the species since the industrial revolution atleast. That's why you could describe the approach as "Smash and Grab". Sometimes destroy, then have the big players expand and take, then repeat. Again-and-again, it happened with covid, it happens with collapsing companies handing out golden parachutes like it's nothing, 2008 financial crisis, everything.

The reason of the Fermi-paradox, might not be because of accidental self-destruction, though that is a great filter. The real great-filter could be because intelligent species that move away from pretty-renewable lifestyles to more technological societies, are much more reliant on finite resources. Thus, they eat everything up, and burn themselves out.

Reactions: Throwawayacc3 and sserafim