symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
Suicide is preventable!!!!!!11!!!1
Ah yes, by locking people up and stripping away their autonomy? Yes, perhaps for some people it is possible to resolve underlying issues that led them to consider suicide in the first place, but that's not the case for everyone, and no one should be forced to live. This is one of the narratives that bothers me the most.

I would echo that I have yet to see a single person encourage suicide in a person who hadn't already independently decided to end their life. Personally I know that if I died and my family found SS, they would adopt the whole "death cult" narrative, despite the fact that I've been suicidal continuously for 4 years and on-and-off for most of my life (as they well know) and that I made up my own decision to CTB long before I even learned of the existence of this site.

Reactions: CrazyNihilist and demuic
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
"We can only speculate..." You hit the nail on the head. No one here has any basis to criticize the redditor's post, because no one here has any information about what s/he was writing about.
I don't see how that follows. I don't need information to criticise him, because it's my personal belief that suicide is never wrong. Therefore, when I see someone criticising a suicide, I will criticise them.

Reactions: Maaizr and demuic
Hercules

Hercules

Arcanist
Jan 31, 2021
Another stigma regarding suicide is that everyone who commits suicide without exception is automatically mentally ill and are always acting irrationally. While it's true that many people who commit suicide have a history of mental illness, it is also true that many people who commit suicide have no history of mental illness and were completely rational at the time of their decision. There are a lot more rational suicides than society wants to admit. Suicidal ideation isn't understood by people who haven't experienced it themselves. People are afraid of what they don't understand. They are unable to admit there is such a thing as a rational suicide where a person can make a rational decision to end their own life due to the circumstances in their life. This scares non suicidal people that a rational person could chose to end their own life. It means that someone doesn't have to necessarily be mentally ill to end their own life. It means that anyone can become suicidal if they are pushed to their breaking point. Everyone has their limit to how much suffering they can take before they can no longer cope. It scares them that someday In the future, something may happen that could traumatize them to the point of becoming suicidal themselves.

Reactions: CrazyNihilist
symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
Another stigma regarding suicide is that everyone who commits suicide without exception is automatically mentally ill and are always acting irrationally. While it's true that many people who commit suicide have a history of mental illness, it is also true that many people who commit suicide have no history of mental illness and were completely rational at the time of their decision. There are a lot more rational suicides than society wants to admit. Suicidal ideation isn't understood by people who haven't experienced it themselves. People are afraid of what they don't understand. They are unable to admit there is such a thing as a rational suicide where a person can make a rational decision to end their own life due to the circumstances in their life. This scares non suicidal people that a rational person could chose to end their own life. It means that someone doesn't have to necessarily be mentally ill to end their own life. It means that anyone can become suicidal if they are pushed to their breaking point. Everyone has their limit to how much suffering they can take before they can no longer cope. It scares them that someday In the future, something may happen that could traumatize them to the point of becoming suicidal themselves.
Also, a suicide driven by mental illness need not inherently be irrational.

Reactions: Hercules, CrazyNihilist and demuic
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
I'm sorry, I meant on this site nobody pushes anyone. People outside SS think this site is a death cult where we push people over the edge on purpose. I know in life we are pushed to suicide by others. Your parents are awful for doing that, truly awful.
For real, they're acting like this site is Jonestown.

"Suicide is preventable, and if you're feeling suicidal I implore you to get help immediately and do whatever is possible to recover from a mental health context that's preventing you from properly evaluating whether it's a justifiable decision to end your life."

I wish people who aren't suicidal would shut the fuck up already.

• Love
Reactions: CrazyNihilist, Maaizr, Seafoam and 4 others