F

Firefly1

Aug 30, 2018
Hi,
So I'm ready to just start venting and tell you guys everything and get it out of my system because apparently that's supposed to make you feel better and I don't even know how to start. And the more I think about how to start the more low I feel and I don't even want to write. It's horrible dude like everyone has to look good study well be the smartest most well liked most funny and pretty person in whatever group they belong to and everyone is just supposed to get a huge number of likes and comments and followers and people who have crush on them and a family that just can't wait to hear about their day and friends who miraculously know exactly how you're feeling before u tell them anything at all and they also know how to get u to feel better. Well I don't have that any of it actually ive always wanted to advise god that you should make people at least either pretty or really smart or rich to strip someone of all the three is just plain cruel but that is the case with me I don't look great I am just an average student I am not rich I'm not excessively funny or artistic or anything at all that makes a person stand out and contrary to what would be said in movie scripts eight about now I don't have a great group of friends and family that just makes all of this okay so how exactly does a person like me function in the world?...and no I'm also not full of great advise on this question so if any of u know do let me know thanks

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Life has always been like this, even before social media. The emphasis is on the social.

How to function? Self-acceptance. Find at least one thing about yourself that you like and enhance it for your own enjoyment. Whenever you envy someone, ask yourself what they have to give up to maintain that position -- self-respect, awareness, personal freedom? Look at people you don't envy and find what you have that they would want, and enjoy it for a moment. Think about everything you do have and ask if you would miss it, if yes, spend some time appreciating and enjoying it.

Those are some of my thoughts. :heart:

F

Firefly1

Aug 30, 2018
Life has always been like this, even before social media. The emphasis is on the social.

How to function? Self-acceptance. Find at least one thing about yourself that you like and enhance it for your own enjoyment. Whenever you envy someone, ask yourself what they have to give up to maintain that position -- self-respect, awareness, personal freedom? Look at people you don't envy and find what you have that they would want, and enjoy it for a moment. Think about everything you do have and ask if you would miss it, if yes, spend some time appreciating and enjoying it.

Those are some of my thoughts. :heart:
Thanks dude that was pretty great without being preachy

• Love
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Largeletters

Largeletters

Alone
Jan 21, 2020
Most lives are not like this. There are the few lucky people at your school or workplace, or wherever you're around people, that have few struggles in life. The rest are not necessarily suffering but more average, having the occasional date or crush, the family that is often too busy, etc. Social media, TV shows, etc. are not how things usually are behind closed doors.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Most lives are not like this. There are the few lucky people at your school or workplace, or wherever you're around people, that have few struggles in life. The rest are not necessarily suffering but more average, having the occasional date or crush, the family that is often too busy, etc. Social media, TV shows, etc. are not how things usually are behind closed doors.
I think this is very true. I enjoyed Facebook when it first came out cuz I could catch up with old friends. Now it just seems very false, it must be a nightmare on twitter etc for kids growing up, comparing themselves to each other and reinforcing unrealistic self image.
I guess it is indeed all about finding what is important to you and understanding that other people's attitudes to you are as much about them as about you.
It's tough though as we invariably compare ourselves to others and social media has made it all to easy to present a fake persona to appear to be ahead of the crowd.

Reactions: Largeletters
Largeletters

Largeletters

Alone
Jan 21, 2020
I think this is very true. I enjoyed Facebook when it first came out cuz I could catch up with old friends. Now it just seems very false, it must be a nightmare on twitter etc for kids growing up, comparing themselves to each other and reinforcing unrealistic self image.
I guess it is indeed all about finding what is important to you and understanding that other people's attitudes to you are as much about them as about you.
It's tough though as we invariably compare ourselves to others and social media has made it all to easy to present a fake persona to appear to be ahead of the crowd.
Very true. The basic fundamentals of social media is the fact that you control what you put out there. You can make yourself seem any way you want. You are right. It's hard not to compare when you see only one side of things.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465 and GoodPersonEffed