Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
If users are under the age of 18 or 20, people on here tell them they're too young to ctb. Just stop. It would be a good idea for these people to get help, but they still have the right to ctb. Someone doesn't suddenly gain the right to ctb once they turn 18 or 20. I'm 20, nearly 21, and according to many users on here, that apparently gives me more right to ctb than someone who is 1-4+ years younger than me. If I could go back in time, I would have ctb when I was 12. Would've saved a lot of suffering. I agree that we should encourage young users to explore other options, but it's frustrating when users on here won't even help them find a method and instead just lecture them.

Reactions: settheory, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe and 21 others
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
Well, I never try to stop anyone regardless of age... But I also never straight up tell people to kill themselves. I think everyone is entitled to make that choice by themselves. I will be 28 in a few days, and I have been suicidal since I was 15 (it only got really bad a few years ago, tho). I would hate if people didn't take me serious back then because I was just a teenager.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, worldexploder and 12 others
C

CJM

Experienced
Jul 13, 2018
If someone was hesitant and it looks like they want to live, that shouldn't be frowned upon, they just needed help, nothing wrong with that, but you don't tell them to not do it or to do it. That is their choice, let them explore that for themselves, this an area to discuss not to take sides. That's why I like this forum.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, BurningLights and 7 others
agreement

agreement

Mage
Mar 26, 2018
I'm 50 and my first attempt was at 14.
Neverthless I think that the younger folks here should try at least once some kind of therapy before CTB.
I've not chosen to seek medical help until I was 30 and I wish that I've done it before.
Anyway like most of the people here I think "first attempt = best attempt", it would have been better if I were successful then.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, worldexploder and 4 others
ParamitePie

ParamitePie

Experienced
Oct 11, 2018
Young people eat Tide Pods, play with dangerous foreign contraptions, listen to strange, loud music, watch Japanese cartoons and linger on my lawn. I haven't proven it yet, but my pet theory is that they're all body snatchers and as such, I vote they be banned.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, worldexploder, Dog Food and 6 others
S

Schopenhauer

Enlightened
Oct 3, 2018
If a young person comes here looking for help, their age shouldn't be held against them. For too many of us, it never gets better.

However, actively encouraging anyone is not right. But I don't see this happening here...

Reactions: Sans, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe and 8 others
Gainax

Gainax

Experienced
Oct 8, 2018
Advocating pro-choice for all ages its just plain stupid

Would you advise a 14 yr old kid who is being bullied at school for being gay or trans to pick up his dad shotgun and blow is head off because is suffering is unbearable at his age?

Im only for suicide for people who have the maturity to take that decision, one thing is having a condition that makes impossible to have a happy life, another is being overwhelm with too much emotion and lacking the maturity to see that there are other options

Reactions: RottingFlowerBrains, Donewith_, Lizzie S. and 6 others
onewayroad

onewayroad

“Dying is not a crime.” ― Jack Kevorkian
Oct 4, 2018
Agreed. But I think you need to have no chance of recovery before you ctb. Doesn't matter what age you are if you have cancer, chronic neuropathic pain, untreatable mental illness or whatever then you have the right to ctb. Again, doesn't matter what age you are, if you have a way of fixing the problems you face then you shouldn't ctb.

Doesn't matter what age you are it only matters how curable you are.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, Lizzie S. and 1 other person
S

Schopenhauer

Enlightened
Oct 3, 2018
Agreed. But I think you need to have no chance of recovery before you ctb. Doesn't matter what age you are if you have cancer, chronic neuropathic pain, untreatable mental illness or whatever then you have the right to ctb. Again, doesn't matter what age you are, if you have a way of fixing the problems you face then you shouldn't ctb.

Doesn't matter what age you are it only matters how curable you are.

I don't have any illnesses, but I still have the right to ctb. The reasons for suicide are multifarious, and they can be all subjectively valid. I won't surrender my right to some external agent.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, ignominia and 3 others
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I don´t care what age people are I hate how arrogant "older" people are like a 20 year old feel superior mature over a 14 year old or like a 30 year old feel superior wiser in life over a 20 year old. We see it all the time in movies too where a 30+ year old will call a 22 year old a kid it seems to come out of jealousy that now they´re older so they have to be better at something i.e. wiser and more mature. I never feel superior over anyone in terms of age not a teenager or even a pre-teen.

And if a 14 year old want to ctb then by all means let them if they have suicidal thought at that age the chance are that they will have that for the rest of their life they mind as well end their pain while they are still fueled by hormones. I am 24 year old now and there are no racing hormones to fuel me anymore only rational calm thinking and I hate it! I dread every day that I didn´t ctb between the age of 18-19 when I moved out from home the first time with the sole intend to ctb and I was very close to I had depression back then and was still a teenager so my hormones was the best fuel ever I truly FELT something now I don´t feel anything anymore I am just an empty shell of what I once was.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, ignominia and 3 others
onewayroad

onewayroad

“Dying is not a crime.” ― Jack Kevorkian
Oct 4, 2018
I don't have any illnesses, but I still have the right to ctb. The reasons for suicide are multifarious, and they can be all subjectively valid. I won't surrender my right to some external agent.

I don't think you should surrender your right to an external agent. Your body, your choice. It's your right.

But I think that if you want to ctb then there has to be some reason. Either a mental or physical illness, or some situation in your life that you need to escape. And if that illness has a potential treatment or that situation has a potential fix then you shouldn't ctb. Not saying you don't have the right to, just saying that if you want to do what is morally correct then you should have tried every alternative first.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, ignominia and 2 others
S

Schopenhauer

Enlightened
Oct 3, 2018
I don't think you should surrender your right to an external agent. Your body, your choice. It's your right.

But I think that if you want to ctb then there has to be some reason. Either a mental or physical illness, or some situation in your life that you need to escape. And if that illness has a potential treatment or that situation has a potential fix then you shouldn't ctb. Not saying you don't have the right to, just saying that if you want to do what is morally correct then you should have tried every alternative first.

And who decides what is "morally correct"? You? A panel of experts? A health care provider?

I've my reasons for wanting to ctb, my suffering is real, even if people like you don't think so. I don't care whether said suffering is greater or lesser than that of some platonic ideal of what a suicidal person should be.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, Dog Food and 7 others
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
If someone was hesitant and it looks like they want to live, that shouldn't be frowned upon, they just needed help, nothing wrong with that, but you don't tell them to not do it or to do it. That is their choice, let them explore that for themselves, this an area to discuss not to take sides. That's why I like this forum.

Totally agree. Obviously we shouldn't encourage someone to ctb. But we also shouldn't refuse to help someone out because of their age.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, Dog Food and 4 others
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
Advocating pro-choice for all ages its just plain stupid

Would you advise a 14 yr old kid who is being bullied at school for being gay or trans to pick up his dad shotgun and blow is head off because is suffering is unbearable at his age?

Im only for suicide for people who have the maturity to take that decision, one thing is having a condition that makes impossible to have a happy life, another is being overwhelm with too much emotion and lacking the maturity to see that there are other options

No. I wouldn't advocate for it, which is why I am PRO-CHOICE. This goes for all ages. Also figure if they are suicidal over bullying, there's probably something else going on. And there will prosjnly be some issues down the line, too.

I've known plenty of people who were bullied and never considered suicide. But the ones who did always had something else going on, and as adults, they usually had some issues as a result or may have also continued to face bullying elsewhere.

I was bullied in elementary school before I started home schooling. At home, I had an abusive family member. Didn't feel safe anywhere. Started having suicidal thoughts at age 9. As an adult, the suicidal thoughts and probelms from the bullying and abusive family member continue to cause problems for me. It lead to many mental disorders that I've tried to treat to no avail. It will never be treated to an acceptable level and I'm not willing to work my ass off just to help it improve slightly.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, LivedTooLong and 4 others
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
I don´t care what age people are I hate how arrogant "older" people are like a 20 year old feel superior mature over a 14 year old or like a 30 year old feel superior wiser in life over a 20 year old. We see it all the time in movies too where a 30+ year old will call a 22 year old a kid it seems to come out of jealousy that now they´re older so they have to be better at something i.e. wiser and more mature. I never feel superior over anyone in terms of age not a teenager or even a pre-teen.

And if a 14 year old want to ctb then by all means let them if they have suicidal thought at that age the chance are that they will have that for the rest of their life they mind as well end their pain while they are still fueled by hormones. I am 24 year old now and there are no racing hormones to fuel me anymore only rational calm thinking and I hate it! I dread every day that I didn´t ctb between the age of 18-19 when I moved out from home the first time with the sole intend to ctb and I was very close to I had depression back then and was still a teenager so my hormones was the best fuel ever I truly FELT something now I don´t feel anything anymore I am just an empty shell of what I once was.

So true!!!

If most people on here were like 50+, people in their 20s would probably be given the same crap for wanting to ctb. "But you're too young." No, people in their 20s have been around for over 2 decades and are adults.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, Dog Food and 4 others
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
So true!!!

If most people on here were like 50+, people in their 20s would probably be given the same crap for wanting to ctb. "But you're too young." No, people in their 20s have been around for over 2 decades and are adults.
It just pisses me off how obvious the envy is in these old people like when they talk down to a 18 or 20 year old not necessarily about ctb but just in general but deep down inside they miss back when they themselves were that age but somehow they have to put the younger people down because of envy because the 20 year old is young most likely healthy and has a life while they are old and have nothing left other than they can say they are more mature and wise because of their age completely pathetic.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, ignominia, Trashcan and 2 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
^
Yes I am jealous of their situation because I 've been there and didn't know how lucky I was. I can see the signs. I've genuinely stopped some of them making the most stupid mistake of their lives. Not everyone is really suicidal who says they are. Especially with younger people a lot of attention seeking and feeling overly sorry for themselves goes on. Taking a tough stance with it hasn't gone down well with everyone but has been exactly what they needed. Am I going to say it's fine to support some kid with suicide. Hell no. If they mean it it's likely circumstantial and circumstances change. They haven't been alive long enough in my opinion to really know one way or another. They only know they want to die at this moment. The tc's reasoning is bogus. Would he argue 12 year olds should be allowed to drink, drive, fuck etc. I doubt it but suicide? Sure

Reactions: Temporarilyabsurd, Lizzie S. and lv-gras
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
^
Yes I am jealous of their situation because I 've been there and didn't know how lucky I was. I can see the signs. I've genuinely stopped some of them making the most stupid mistake of their lives. Not everyone is really suicidal who says they are. Especially with younger people a lot of attention seeking and feeling overly sorry for themselves goes on. Taking a tough stance with it hasn't gone down well with everyone but has been exactly what they needed. Am I going to say it's fine to support some kid with suicide. Hell no. If they mean it it's likely circumstantial and circumstances change. They haven't been alive long enough in my opinion to really know one way or another. They only know they want to die at this moment. The tc's reasoning is bogus. Would he argue 12 year olds should be allowed to drink, drive, fuck etc. I doubt it but suicide? Sure

I got tons of tough love as a teenager and am still suicidal as an adult. Just saying

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, lv-gras and 2 others
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
It just pisses me off how obvious the envy is in these old people like when they talk down to a 18 or 20 year old not necessarily about ctb but just in general but deep down inside they miss back when they themselves were that age but somehow they have to put the younger people down because of envy because the 20 year old is young most likely healthy and has a life while they are old and have nothing left other than they can say they are more mature and wise because of their age completely pathetic.

You're spot on. It must be jealousy. And if they're oh so wise, then why do they feel the need to go around telling everyone about it? If you're truly wise, you won't need to tell people. You'll just show it through your actions.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and TheGoodGuy
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
I didn't mean to come over harsh that's just how I feel and it's done some good

Reactions: lv-gras
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
If people want to help teenagers, a first step is to take them seriously even if their problems seem trivial to you or you think they're too young to suffer. Invalidating them and telling them it's just teenage angst won't help them.

It's no fun when people don't take your suicidal thoughts seriously or what brought you to this point, is it? Would you like it if users on here wouldn't help you out because you had access to the Internet and had the physical and mental ability to use it, and therefore you must have it "too good" to suffer? No? Exactly. And that's basically what a lot of users on here are doing to teenagers. You don't have to give them advice on how to ctb if you're uncomfortable with it, it's fine to encourage them to explore other options, but don't invalidate them. It only makes things worse. You're being a major hypocrite when you do that.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, IwasElla and 2 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
There's an element of the boy who cried wolf about it and one person can spoil it for everyone else. I've been taken less seriously because who's to say who means it and who doesn't. There's only so many ridiculous reasons for suicide you can take if you're actually suicidal. This was reddit by the way. I admire those who don't lose patience with it but I did, that's why I'm here now. You'd always get a post saying similar to what you're saying and fair enough but a couple of posts down you'd have someone saying they were going to do themselves in precisely because someone hadn't just told them it wasn't that bad. Made responding at all more trouble than it was worth. The only posters that get the feedback they're looking for are the ones who are totally honest. Don't really want to die just need reassurance? Then say that . Too much emotional manipulation

Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
You've probably got the wrong idea about how I was with them. The ones who were genuinely struggling I got through to because I told them the truth and it came from a place of experience. It wasn't just the usual platitudes. If I said to someone it could get better it's because I meant every word or I wouldn't have said it

Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
There's an element of the boy who cried wolf about it and one person can spoil it for everyone else. I've been taken less seriously because who's to say who means it and who doesn't. There's only so many ridiculous reasons for suicide you can take if you're actually suicidal. This was reddit by the way. I admire those who don't lose patience with it but I did, that's why I'm here now. You'd always get a post saying similar to what you're saying and fair enough but a couple of posts down you'd have someone saying they were going to do themselves in precisely because someone hadn't just told them it wasn't that bad. Made responding at all more trouble than it was worth. The only posters that get the feedback they're looking for are the ones who are totally honest. Don't really want to die just need reassurance? Then say that . Too much emotional manipulation

True that some teenagers are like that. But if they really wanted attention or reassurance, they'd probably be on Reddit and not here. Or fake cancer or something online... you'll get a lot more sympathy that way.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe and Delaying
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
Yeah they probably are. I wasn't ever talking about here specifically although here is going to get more like that as people get wind of it

Gainax

Gainax

Experienced
Oct 8, 2018
I wish this site existed when i was 14, after years of bullying, no friends, no sense of direction in life and thinking of suicide, i wish this site had an asshole like me to give me the though love i needed and new ideas to explore instead of explaining on how to hang myself properly just because i have the right to kill myself

Reactions: Dog Food and Trashcan
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
Asshole. Right. Doing my fucking best here man.

Gainax

Gainax

Experienced
Oct 8, 2018
Asshole. Right. Doing my fucking best here man.
i wasn't calling you an asshole..i was referring to me as the asshole, i consider myself one for some of the ideias deemed to weird to some

red pill
gym
focus only on oneself
ignore the attention whores of some women

Reactions: Trashcan
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
I wasn't sure how you meant it but if you've been reading the thread... I guess I was expecting it because it always happens despite my good intentions

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
You're spot on. It must be jealousy. And if they're oh so wise, then why do they feel the need to go around telling everyone about it? If you're truly wise, you won't need to tell people. You'll just show it through your actions.
Exactly!

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Trashcan