Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I think the floodgates really opened when people suddenly decided it was ok to go out just to protest. Forget washing hands and social distancing suddenly it was "as long as you're outdoors and wearing a mask you're invincible". And somehow people were using that as a point for saying their cause must mean that much.

Also Newsom liked to shit on Florida for handling it so poorly at first but then he basically did the same policy they did by leaving lockdowns up to the counties to decide.

Anyway I think the reason things didn't improve much during lockdown is hypocrites who think just because they oppose anti-maskers or Trump supporters they're untouchable. Way back in April groups of 100s of youths were found in Oakland holding illegal car races. No masks, no social distancing. They didn't care. People no matter what side they're on aren't going to care enough. If they want to break the rules, they're gonna in this state. Who's going to stop them? The police? The same ones you've been protesting? Good luck with that.

Even today I know people who are out after 10 pm so who cares. If you want to have an illegal gathering go do it, but if you care enough and think it will help to stay inside then do that. Whatever.

Reactions: Good4Nothing, demuic and Symbiote
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
I think the floodgates really opened when people suddenly decided it was ok to go out just to protest. Forget washing hands and social distancing suddenly it was "as long as you're outdoors and wearing a mask you're invincible". And somehow people were using that as a point for saying their cause must mean that much.

Also Newsom liked to shit on Florida for handling it so poorly at first but then he basically did the same policy they did by leaving lockdowns up to the counties to decide.

Anyway I think the reason things didn't improve much during lockdown is hypocrites who think just because they oppose anti-maskers or Trump supporters they're untouchable. Way back in April groups of 100s of youths were found in Oakland holding illegal car races. No masks, no social distancing. They didn't care. People no matter what side they're on aren't going to care enough. If they want to break the rules, they're gonna in this state. Who's going to stop them? The police? The same ones you've been protesting? Good luck with that.

Even today I know people who are out after 10 pm so who cares. If you want to have an illegal gathering go do it, but if you care enough and think it will help to stay inside then do that. Whatever.
i wish it was as easy as "lets just have a party" here. cops would be over here in minutes. they dont mess around in my city.

about the protests... they were needed but it was such bad timing. honestly terrible timing.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
i wish it was as easy as "lets just have a party" here. cops would be over here in minutes. they dont mess around in my city.
I haven't heard of police actually going out to break any gatherings I think if you're discreet about it and everyone gets tested then it really isn't that big a deal though I personally wouldn't care enough. I like staying inside.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
not so much not wearing masks. they dont really... do anything.
Yes they do a lot. There are studies of them in labs. They prevent direct inhalation of virus spores. Otherwise no one would be safe working in a hospital.

Or if you mean the immigrants that's a different matter, I couldn't tell which you meant didn't do anything. Rates among certain groups are much higher.

Reactions: Regen
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
Yes they do a lot. There are studies of them in labs. They prevent direct inhalation of virus spores. Otherwise no one would be safe working in a hospital.

Or if you mean the immigrants that's a different matter, I couldn't tell which you meant didn't do anything. Rates among certain groups are much higher.
i was talking about masks. i was under the impression that covid itself doesnt care about masks

greyhound

greyhound

Arcanist
Oct 8, 2020
The crazy thing is how much better authoritarian systems like China have done with covid. I saw a video on TikTok the other day of this public luxury sauna in Beijing that was open. Noone was wearing masks or distancing. Basically there is no covid there at this point, and life is normal.

The US has basically gotten the worst of all worlds with covid. Harsh lockdowns in some places that are ineffective because of other states that don't give a fuck and let covid rage.

Honestly I would have supported a full wuhan style crackdown initially if it meant no covid now. Who cares drag people out of their places and forcibly quarantine them if it means I would be able to enjoy my luxury sauna without any care in the world 9 months later.

Reactions: Meditation guide
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
The crazy thing is how much better authoritarian systems like China have done with covid.
We really don't know if what they publish is true or not although I'm sure it's better than the U.S. has done. It couldn't be worse.

I agree the crackdown and lockdown should have been done immediately and probably once a month for a week indefinitely complete with arrests for non compliance, because we've seen people won't comply voluntarily.

Reactions: greyhound
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019

huh... i now eat my shoe.
We really don't know if what they publish is true or not although I'm sure it's better than the U.S. has done. It couldn't be worse.

I agree the crackdown and lockdown should have been done immediately and probably once a month for a week indefinitely complete with arrests for non compliance, because we've seen people won't comply voluntarily.
it may just have been some anti china rumor but apparently they killed those infected and would (literally) board up doors

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
If masks alone were enough to prevent the spread of covid, it never would have spread outside of Asia in the first place because they normally are used to wearing them if they hear so much as a cough.

What they don't do often enough in Asia is socially distance or even wash their hands properly, I think washing hands helps way more but isn't stressed upon as much because it's way more difficult to enforce and can't really be used to control people unlike masks.

KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
The crazy thing is how much better authoritarian systems like China have done with covid. I saw a video on TikTok the other day of this public luxury sauna in Beijing that was open. Noone was wearing masks or distancing. Basically there is no covid there at this point, and life is normal.

The US has basically gotten the worst of all worlds with covid. Harsh lockdowns in some places that are ineffective because of other states that don't give a fuck and let covid rage.

Honestly I would have supported a full wuhan style crackdown initially if it meant no covid now. Who cares drag people out of their places and forcibly quarantine them if it means I would be able to enjoy my luxury sauna without any care in the world 9 months later.
politicians are loving this break. full control. no one to tell them "no". they can do whatever they want. only 5 people allowed in the grocery. curfew at whatever time they want. one point the only power they had was some shit about taxes and local laws. now? they can tell people what to do and when. i bet newsom has the biggest boner right now
If masks alone were enough to prevent the spread of covid, it never would have spread outside of Asia in the first place because they normally are used to wearing them if they hear so much as a cough.

What they don't do often enough in Asia is socially distance or even wash their hands properly, I think washing hands helps way more but isn't stressed upon as much because it's way more difficult to enforce and can't really be used to control people unlike masks.
my history teacher loves china, not in a weird way, just loves its history. but he knows theres major problems there.

when he goes, he says that it fucking stinks. like, it reeks of b.o. people there dont shower the way we do.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
P

patheticpartner

Student
May 4, 2020
Personally, I love lockdown and online zoom lectures. I feel less anxious, and I end up participating more. But maybe it's because I have my own room in a quiet neighborhood, leeching off my parents.

• Love
Reactions: Dead Meat
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019

Might as well believe harry potter is real if we are going to trust china's numbers.

If we were to believe the wuhan files or other leaks and the whistleblowers that vanished, china completely mishandled the early stages of the disease and not only lied about their numbers, they covered the entirety it and allowed the world to get infected without informing them that something this big was going on. The implications of this are truly horrible.

Many places tried a wuhan-style lockdown for months, but it was completely useless since the rest of the world had different viewpoints and cultures, and in a globalized world most countries directly depend on others to literally not starve, there's a reason why the heavily globalized western hemisphere suffered the most.

china is more self sufficient in that sense, eastern asian cultures are a bit more resilient to these diseases because of the way they live, the reasons they did well go beyond authoritarianism, but it certainly helped since repressing freedom is not an issue for a regime with literal concentration camps.

Reactions: Good4Nothing
greyhound

greyhound

Arcanist
Oct 8, 2020
Might as well believe harry potter is real if we are going to trust china's numbers.

If we were to believe the wuhan files or other leaks and the whistleblowers that vanished, china completely mishandled the early stages of the disease and not only lied about their numbers, they covered the entirety it and allowed the world to get infected without informing them that something this big was going on. The implications of this are truly horrible.

Many places tried a wuhan-style lockdown for months, but it was completely useless since the rest of the world had different viewpoints and cultures, and in a globalized world most countries directly depend on others to literally not starve, there's a reason why the heavily globalized western hemisphere suffered the most.

china is more self sufficient in that sense, eastern asian cultures are a bit more resilient to these diseases because of the way they live, the reasons they did well go beyond authoritarianism, but it certainly helped since repressing freedom is not an issue for a regime with literal concentration camps.

I don't think China is hiding their actual covid numbers at this point. They have shown that they go to defcon 1 full mobilization whenever there is a tiny outbreak in a particular city sparked by imports or whatever. So based on their current response they really did seem to manage to shut it down almost completely.

You can't really use the term concentration camp any more even in reference to the Uighurs. Post WWII that term means only one thing. Internment / re-education is what is happening there. I mean everyone in the west is up in arms about it because right now our most cherished value is letting microcultures be tolerated and flourish. But if you look at the history of the world it's basically one of cultural imperialism. In my country of origin the French are a protected group with their own distinct culture. But this culture really only arose due to Julius Caesar marching into their region and them being reeducated from Gaelic speaking celts to Latin speaking Roman citizens.

I agree China's opacity and love of censorship did screw the rest of the world by covering up covid in the early weeks. And I'm glad I'm not a Tibetan being forcibly annexed into the greater China co-prosperity sphere. But it does seem like authoritarian regimes are having their day in the sun with covid. If only the Soviet Union could have held out for another 30 years it too could have partaken in the glory.

If anything I think the last couple of years have shown that too much freedom can be a bad thing. Freedom from facts, freedom to spread covid, these values are not making America great again.

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I don't think China is hiding their actual covid numbers at this point. They have shown that they go to defcon 1 full mobilization whenever there is a tiny outbreak in a particular city sparked by imports or whatever. So based on their current response they really did seem to manage to shut it down almost completely.

You can't really use the term concentration camp any more even in reference to the Uighurs. Post WWII that term means only one thing. Internment / re-education is what is happening there. I mean everyone in the west is up in arms about it because right now our most cherished value is letting microcultures be tolerated and flourish. But if you look at the history of the world it's basically one of cultural imperialism. In my country of origin the French are a protected group with their own distinct culture. But this culture really only arose due to Julius Caesar marching into their region and them being reeducated from Gaelic speaking celts to Latin speaking Roman citizens.

I agree China's opacity and love of censorship did screw the rest of the world by covering up covid in the early weeks. And I'm glad I'm not a Tibetan being forcibly annexed into the greater China co-prosperity sphere. But it does seem like authoritarian regimes are having their day in the sun with covid. If only the Soviet Union could have held out for another 30 years it too could have partaken in the glory.

If anything I think the last couple of years have shown that too much freedom can be a bad thing. Freedom from facts, freedom to spread covid, these values are not making America great again.

The truth is that we'll never know the real numbers, china is becoming really hermetical when it comes to their information flow, both inside and outside. it's been like this for many years.

I'm going to get a bit heated for a moment, so I'll put this rant about the treatment of uyghurs in spoiler.
The term ""re-education camps"" is beyond disgusting and a play on words to make what's going on in china seem more tolerable, there's an undeniable ethnic cleanse and cultural genocide going on and many experts support this claim, call it whatever the fuck you want, it doesn't change the fact that these people are being treated in a way similar to the first years of the jew cleanse in germany, but unlike ashkenazi jews, uyghurs have no one to help them, Absolutely no country or power will do anything since they either rely on china's economy, or they simply don't care, arab nations are too busy dealing with their own shit, too.
One thing is to discourage the muslim religion, but when you put forced labor, forced sterilization, extreme surveillance (even by chinese standards) on the table, then you have a clear genocide going on, they even get them to these "re-education" gulags in trains.

And about your last point, freedom has its issues, but authoritarianism is never the answer, just look at history to see how these regimes and systems have lead to horrible catastrophes and human rights violations on mass scale. There is no point of comparison and without freedom, we woundn't even be able to talk about suicide, for example.

Reactions: Good4Nothing