Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Social interactions engage a powerful brain circuit that releases the neurochemical oxytocin when we are trusted and induces a desire to reciprocate the trust we have been shown--even with strangers.

The key to a con is not that you trust the conman, but that he shows he trusts you. Conmen ply their trade by appearing fragile or needing help, by seeming vulnerable. Because of oxytocin and its effect on other parts of the brain, we feel good when we help others--this is the basis for attachment to family and friends and cooperation with strangers. "I need your help" is a potent stimulus for action.

Studies of college students have shown that two percent of them are "unconditional nonreciprocators.
This means that when they are trusted they don't return money to person who trusted them. What do we really call these people? Bastards. Yup, not folks that you would want to have a cup of coffee with. These people are deceptive, don't stay in relationships long, and enjoy taking advantage of others. Psychologically, they resemble sociopaths. Bastards are dangerous because they have learned how to simulate trustworthiness. Research has demonstrated that they have highly dysregulated oxytocin systems.

Oxytocin's effects are modulated by our large prefrontal cortex that houses the "executive" regions of the brain. Oxytocin is all emotion, while the prefrontal cortex is deliberative. I hope that by knowing that your oxytocin system can easily be turned on, you will be less vulnerable to people who might want to take advantage of you. But, don't be too vigilant: two percent of bastards isn't so bad. And, oxytocin causes us to empathize with others, the key to building social relationships.

Stages of the Con.

Foundation Work
Preparations are made in advance of the game, including the hiring of any assistants required.

Approach
The victim is contacted.

Build-up
The victim is given an opportunity to profit from a scheme. The victim's greed is encouraged, such that their rational judgment of the situation might be impaired.

Pay-off or Convincer
The victim receives a small payout as a demonstration of the scheme's effectiveness. This may be a real amount of money, or faked in some way. In a gambling con, the victim is allowed to win several small bets. In a stock market con, the victim is given fake dividends.

The Hurrah
A sudden crisis or change of events forces the victim to act immediately. This is the point at which the con succeeds or fails.

The In-and-In
A conspirator (in on the con, but assumes the role of an interested bystander) puts an amount of money into the same scheme as the victim, to add an appearance of legitimacy to the scheme. This can reassure the victim, and give the con man greater control when the deal has been completed.

In addition, some games require a "corroboration" step, particularly those involving a "rare item". This usually includes the use of an accomplice who plays the part of an uninvolved (initially skeptical) third party, who later confirms the claims made by the con man.

Reactions: ImsooDone1N, puppy9, justwannadie and 25 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
I think this is excellent Mr Fox

Reactions: About_to_Go, CuriousAboutThis, brighter and 4 others
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
The In-and-In
A conspirator (in on the con, but assumes the role of an interested bystander) puts an amount of money into the same scheme as the victim, to add an appearance of legitimacy to the scheme. This can reassure the victim, and give the con man greater control when the deal has been completed.

In addition, some games require a "corroboration" step, particularly those involving a "rare item". This usually includes the use of an accomplice who plays the part of an uninvolved (initially skeptical) third party, who later confirms the claims made by the con man.

Yup. The Patrick thread was littered with this kind of crap from accounts which still exist and continue to subtlely perform the same roles, such as trashing A, attempting to rehabilitate Patrick or whatever.

Reactions: ImsooDone1N, About_to_Go, Circles and 3 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
Would be good if this could be kept at the top

Reactions: Johnnythefox, About_to_Go, brighter and 1 other person
Chlo

Chlo

Experienced
Feb 17, 2019
A lot of this can also be applied to what happens in an abusive/manipulative relationship.

Reactions: ImsooDone1N, Going Home, blanketyblk and 4 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
Just in case anyone needs to check whether they can spot scammers on here

Reactions: blanketyblk, About_to_Go, Redt2go and 2 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
It's worth bumping this.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, ImsooDone1N, About_to_Go and 3 others
waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
@Johnnythefox do you know the original source of the original post?

Reactions: Circles, brighter and Johnnythefox
Its911

Its911

Sociopath
Feb 28, 2019
Social interactions engage a powerful brain circuit that releases the neurochemical oxytocin when we are trusted and induces a desire to reciprocate the trust we have been shown--even with strangers.

The key to a con is not that you trust the conman, but that he shows he trusts you. Conmen ply their trade by appearing fragile or needing help, by seeming vulnerable. Because of oxytocin and its effect on other parts of the brain, we feel good when we help others--this is the basis for attachment to family and friends and cooperation with strangers. "I need your help" is a potent stimulus for action.

Studies of college students have shown that two percent of them are "unconditional nonreciprocators.
This means that when they are trusted they don't return money to person who trusted them. What do we really call these people? Bastards. Yup, not folks that you would want to have a cup of coffee with. These people are deceptive, don't stay in relationships long, and enjoy taking advantage of others. Psychologically, they resemble sociopaths. Bastards are dangerous because they have learned how to simulate trustworthiness. Research has demonstrated that they have highly dysregulated oxytocin systems.

Oxytocin's effects are modulated by our large prefrontal cortex that houses the "executive" regions of the brain. Oxytocin is all emotion, while the prefrontal cortex is deliberative. I hope that by knowing that your oxytocin system can easily be turned on, you will be less vulnerable to people who might want to take advantage of you. But, don't be too vigilant: two percent of bastards isn't so bad. And, oxytocin causes us to empathize with others, the key to building social relationships.

Stages of the Con.

Foundation Work
Preparations are made in advance of the game, including the hiring of any assistants required.

Approach
The victim is contacted.

Build-up
The victim is given an opportunity to profit from a scheme. The victim's greed is encouraged, such that their rational judgment of the situation might be impaired.

Pay-off or Convincer
The victim receives a small payout as a demonstration of the scheme's effectiveness. This may be a real amount of money, or faked in some way. In a gambling con, the victim is allowed to win several small bets. In a stock market con, the victim is given fake dividends.

The Hurrah
A sudden crisis or change of events forces the victim to act immediately. This is the point at which the con succeeds or fails.

The In-and-In

Loving this post mate!!! Now you've made us all conmen lol....Veryyy interesting.

Reactions: Circles and Johnnythefox
K

KiraLittleOwl

Lost in transition
Jan 25, 2019
I call them politicians

Reactions: ImsooDone1N, Going Home, Circles and 2 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
"ten commandments of con men'."

Here they are:

Be a patient listener (it is this, not fast talking, that gets a con man his coups).

Never look bored.

Wait for the other person to reveal any political opinions, then agree with them.

Let the other person reveal religious views, then have the same ones.

Hint at sex talk, but don't follow it up unless the other person shows a strong interest.

Never discuss illness, unless some special concern is shown.

Never pry into a person's personal circumstances (they'll tell you all eventually).

Never boast — just let your importance be quietly obvious.

Never be untidy.

Never get drunk.

Reactions: ImsooDone1N, Redt2go, Deleted member 4993 and 2 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, Deleted member 4993, Cookiedough8956 and 1 other person
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Reactions: ImsooDone1N and Deleted member 4993
FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
Stages of the Con.

I wish punishments for verifiable cons in the US were easier, more direct, and more severe. Most con-people get away with destroying others' lives because the US court system makes it extremely hard to "prove" fraud AND because even when there is significant proof (bank statements, signed documents, official relationships with accountants and tax bodies, promissory notes...), the state attorney general can choose NOT to get involved if he/she thinks the amount you were defrauded isn't enough (mid-six figures and above). So then you spend tens of thousands of dollars in civil court to get ... nothing. A professional con-artist is skilled at evading your attempts to find him/her and hides his/her assets so you never get compensated even if you win a civil case.

The US tacitly encourages cons/fraud.

Reactions: ImsooDone1N, Tragoedia Vitae, Deleted member 4993 and 2 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, Deleted member 4993, FTL.Wanderer and 1 other person
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
How to Spot a Scam

There are a number of signs to look out for

Being contacted out of the blue (also known as 'unsolicited') by telephone, post or email

The offer is too good to be true

Being asked to pay money up-front or to buy a product

When contacted, if the person contacting you is overly familiar and friendly with you

Being asked for your bank account, credit card details or other confidential information

Being told that you need to keep the offer a secret

If any of this seems familiar you maybe facing or have faced a scam.

General Advice to Avoid Scams
Do not…

Enter into conversations with organisations that contact you in an unsolicited manner.

Respond to unsolicited emails.

Part with any money, to either pay fees or purchase a product.

Give out any personal information such as banking and credit card details or copies of documents such as your passport or driving licence.

If you have already sent money or provided bank details, please take the following actions:

Do not send any more money; unfortunately if you have already parted with money it may be very difficult for you to get it back.

Contact your bank, building society or credit card company and close your account if you have given your details to a third party that you do not know and trust.
If you receive any correspondence that may be a scam or an offer that you are just not sure of, always seek advice before acting.

How do Scams Work?

Potential scammers will try to catch you unawares; this increases their chance of being able to convince you to part with your money or personal information.

They will will try to make the offer too good for you to refuse; they prey on vulnerable people and people who may be in financial difficulties. Remember - if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Many of these operations ask you to pay a fairly nominal fee to purchase your item. This makes it seem as though you have little to lose. But the demand for money does not stop there; you will be asked for more money to cover an increasing list of fees.

You are put under pressure to make a decision by only being given a short time frame in which to purchase your item; this affects how much time you take consider the offer, and you are more likely to make the wrong decision.

By becoming friendly with you, the potential scammer is trying to create a relationship where you are likely to trust the information they are providing you and make you believe you are a winner

By asking you to keep this offer a secret, you are less likely to talk to family and friends who may point out the problems with the offer, and therefore will not receive the correct advice on how to deal with it.

Buyer beware!

Reactions: ImsooDone1N, Redt2go, Circles and 2 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
What about people who join SS and want instant access to the Private Message function, so they skitter all over the forum posting lots of things? Would you say that *might* be a sign they are likely to be in your inbox offering cut price Nembutal?

Reactions: About_to_Go, Redt2go, Johnnythefox and 2 others
brighter

brighter

Warlock
Jan 22, 2019
What about people who join SS and want instant access to the Private Message function, so they skitter all over the forum posting lots of things? Would you say that *might* be a sign they are likely to be in your inbox offering cut price Nembutal?
I'd say you're spot on, @JustAboutDone

Reactions: Redt2go, Johnnythefox, Circles and 1 other person
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018

Amazing how many people are willing to play this role voluntarily, often singularly motivated by their annoyance at the fact that those sceptical of the bullshit have not presented their scepticism in a *delicate and empathetic manner befitting of an online sAfE hAvEn*, and would prefer to read the facile and insincere bullshit of the manipulative blagger to the necessarily abrasive honesty of those who challenge the integrity of these phoney cunts. Happens every time.

Reactions: ImsooDone1N, About_to_Go, Johnnythefox and 2 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Circles
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Just attaching this to here so as I can read it all later, this was before my time here and I think it's relevant to topic of this thread.

The Patrick scam

Sticking this on here for reference.

The Vaughn scam

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, gingerplum, Whatshername and 1 other person
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
I don't contribute much, but I sometimes act as a spectator.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018

Stages of the Con.

Foundation Work

Approach
The victim is contacted.

Build-up

Pay-off or Convincer

The Hurrah

The In-and-In

I guess I'm lucky because I'm incapable of feeling the majority of emotions. Sometimes, I'm completely dead inside to the point I can't feel anything and it fucking sucks because then life becomes really boring. In my personal religion that I created based on facts, it is a sin to help strangers in need, simply just to help people. It's also a sin to be greedy when it comes to money. It's also a sin to trust anyone. And I'm a misanthrope. I also studied the art of seduction and I'm good at detecting false body language. I learned how to detect false body language from spending a lot of time with sociopaths. They often make mistakes while putting up a facade. Being a good actor or actress is not easy. You need a massive amount of mental discipline and a high level of intelligence. I also adhere to a very German like culture so when people are being too friendly towards me, I know something is not right in their head or they want something or they want to virtue signal. So I keep my distance. If someone wants something from me, I expect him or her to be honorable enough,, courageous enough and efficient enough to simply ask for it. And then we can work something out or I expect him or her to take it by force. Any other way of getting something from me is a sin. Of course, if their job is to be friendly otherwise he or she will be fired, then I look at them differently and let all that bullshit slide. And I'm tribal so if someone is not a member of my tribe(someone who doesn't adhere to my values and someone who doesn't have a brain that works like mine so essentially they are aliens compared to me), then I'm on guard. Just like our ancestors for most of human history. Every time, someone tries to scam me, I just try to get free money from them via begging or tell them everything they don't want to hear. And they will disappear in a puff of smoke. Hahaha, one time, I was in Paris. And there were so many beggars who basically begged for easy money. I just pretended not to know English or French. Sometimes, when a beggar asks me for money and he doesn't look homeless, I tell him, I was about to ask him for money because I'm broke and I need to get home. When people ask me for donations, I tell them, I need people to donate money to me because I'm poor and have all these health problems. And then, these people will disappear in a puff of smoke. If you try any other tactic, they will most likely not instantly go away. And of course, you can't just beat the fuck out of them or kill them.

Last edited:
Reactions: woxihuanni