KadathianStr1d3r

KadathianStr1d3r

Shattered Mannequin
Nov 21, 2018
Mental Illness does have an effect on the growth and formation of the human brain in negative ways yet nobody seems to bother having the same amount of research when it comes to the brain of somebody that has been suicidal for a long period of time.
Are they practically brain damage that they may never recover?
Can the suicidal be able to finally be labeled as handicapped so they can receive the support they need?
Can brain plasticity fix the brain of a post-suicidal individual or does it have the same permanent damages akin to that of an alcoholic?
I need answers please since I can't find it anywhere?

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I have read that long term stress causes physical changes to the brain that can be irreversible, despite brain plasticity. I don't have a source at hand to give you, but I am sure you can find many reliable articles if you do a search.

I suffer from ME/CFS and based on my 10+ years experience of living with the disease, talking to various doctors and meeting other patients, I am convinced that brains subjected to intense and prolongued stress (regardless of the cause) get irreversibly altered which results in poor(-er) cognitive behaviours.

I would love to get a scan of my brain and use that as proof to show to a few people who repeatedly have said to me: "You can get better if you want it bad enough".

That being said I would not go so far as to say that we are not in control of our actions or cannot make reasonable decisions. Furthermore, I don't think anyone can give you any definite answers, since we are all very different, and stress affects us all differently. You would need to have a doctor do a CT of your brain in order to get personalized answers to your questions.

• Love
KadathianStr1d3r

KadathianStr1d3r

Shattered Mannequin
Nov 21, 2018
I have read that long term stress causes physical changes to the brain that can be irreversible, despite brain plasticity. I don't have a source at hand to give you, but I am sure you can find many reliable articles if you do a search.

I suffer from ME/CFS and based on my 10+ years experience of living with the disease, talking to various doctors and meeting other patients, I am convinced that brains subjected to intense and prolongued stress (regardless of the cause) get irreversibly altered which results in poor(-er) cognitive behaviours.

I would love to get a scan of my brain and use that as proof to show to a few people who repeatedly have said to me: "You can get better if you want it bad enough".

That being said I would not go so far as to say that we are not in control of our actions or cannot make reasonable decisions. Furthermore, I don't think anyone can give you any definite answers, since we are all very different, and stress affects us all differently. You would need to have a doctor do a CT of your brain in order to get personalized answers to your questions.
I am probably going to be way dead before that happens.

• Aww..
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob and Epsilon0
Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
I am convinced that brains subjected to intense and prolongued stress (regardless of the cause) get irreversibly altered which results in poor(-er) cognitive behaviours.
If that's true then it's over for me.
You're not the only one.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob and Epsilon0
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
This is your brain... this is your brain on suicide!

IiEDmoX

Reactions: LivideLamb, Fizzel87 and Epsilon0
DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
I want to add this thread to my favorite threads.
And a so called psychologist on youtube (the topic was "how to become rich?") said (I'm paraphrasing) "don't complain about your parents beating you up unless you're under 10 but if you're 18 then get up and work". I mean it really pisses me off that we people who "had it hard" are judged the same who "had it light". It's unfair.

• Wow