D

deadalready

Oct 22, 2019
When you reach enlightenment, there will not be a self to experience the pain and suffering and rebirth ceases. But striving to end suffering itself may prevent one from reaching enlightenment. Is it realistic?

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Nothing about that sounded realistic

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
When you reach enlightenment, there will not be a self to experience the pain and suffering and rebirth ceases. But striving to end suffering itself may prevent one from reaching enlightenment. Is it realistic?

If you still have a nervous system, you still have a life. It's your perspective that changes. You recognize there is no self, but as long as you have a brain, there will still be perceptions of a self, a personality. Trying to escape samsara/suffering is likened to trying to escape a burning building, and was the main point of the Buddha's quest for enlightenment, to end suffering. Achieving enlightenment will lead to less suffering while still embodied, but the body will still feel the pain of injury and aging.

I highly recommend Bikkhu Bodhi's book, In the Buddha's Words.

There's a Zen saying:

Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Epsilon0 and deadalready