FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
You're long reply is appreciated, thank you. I meant to argue based on realism. How is the world we live in besides our lofty wishes? Forget suicide, is gayism universally or even wholly accepted in the west? How many US or EU states have fully legalized homosexuality - marriage, child adoption - fully? Transsexuality? Healthies view suicide as just another low priority item at the bottom of the bucket - right there with veganism and animal rights.
And know @FTL.Wanderer I say all these with an open heart. As a suicidal transwoman I know a few things about closed minds, and feel like a hypocrite that views I past opposed are now welcome entirely on a fresh perspective. Struggling to come out while closeted, I thought less of the gay; when less desperate, wondered even less of the suicidal. See?

Much thanks for the kind reply. I agree wholly with you that we rarely live up to our ideals. I also agree with you that many "important things" are low priorities to enough of us that our behaviors betray our feelings. I still maintain that in the absence of a hard, near-universal, objective justification for a particular worldview, the rational response to other worldviews that don't impose direct harm on other beings is to respect others' rights to their perspectives and their freedoms to act on themselves as they see fit. It's irrational, at least to me, to claim life has "value" and therefore some people (not the people society or governments don't like enough) must remain alive in the absence of any objective evidence of life-value. It's one thing not to care about something. It's a different matter to assert others must feel similarly. And that is the thesis of pro-life apologists--that the rest of us have to agree or act as if we agreed with their feelings about human life in general, despite the glaring hypocrisies easily demonstrable in the pro-life platform.

I deeply respect what must have been your immense struggles as a trans individual. And I think I catch your appreciation for the hellish and very often unnecessary suffering of many non-human animals at humanity's hands. Thanks, thanks, and thanks for your compassion. And the chance to share ideas.

Reactions: KatieW
KatieW

KatieW

Happy....
Feb 3, 2019
What would you place higher in a priority list - the (human) right to die or animal rights? @FTL.Wanderer

Reactions: FTL.Wanderer
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Guys don't you get it? These people are making money by keeping us alive, of course they want to deprive us from the right to die. It's money... Money it is.

In the middle ages you think anybody would care if someone commited suicide? I don't think so.

In the 21rst century you can make money out of everything, no matter how right or wrong it is.

That the reality.
Nailed it.

L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Nobody wants to hear life sucks and meaningless. Prolife is shitty thing and enforcing others to accept shit is shit.

Z

ZiggyStardust

Mar 8, 2019
In some professions it is a requirement to commit suicide - spies that get caught for example. Ironic.

L

LivingToLong

Experienced
Feb 23, 2019
Yet more, publications in cognitive science agree that individuals' life experiences are so profoundly different despite surface similarities due to the complexity of individual neurology, cognition, and experience that little homology in person-to-person meaning (and value) can be expected.

I know little (formally) of those sciences but it has always been my instinct that the differences between individuals can be way more profound than we think/assume. I come at it primarily from the direction of 'soft' differences (perception, cultural and societal influences) but I would not be at all surprised if there are significant (structural, 'hard wired') differences. My own area of interest is language and I see there that there are assumptions made as to shared knowledge and experience that potentially undermine mutual understanding, to the extent where I don't think that we actually understand each other a great deal of the time. What I've just written is probably case in point! As was said by someone, "even if a lion could speak, we couldn't understand it".

I think it's the assumption of similarity (and I'm not critical of that btw, it's perfectly understandable) that causes a great deal of problem; from simple misunderstanding to prejudice and much worse.

Last edited:
KatieW

KatieW

Happy....
Feb 3, 2019
In some professions it is a requirement to commit suicide - spies that get caught for example. Ironic.

You're so right on the irony. The happy living are forced to ctb; the sufferers must live.

Reactions: ZiggyStardust and FTL.Wanderer
FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
What would you place higher in a priority list - the (human) right to die or animal rights? @FTL.Wanderer

I think if comprehensive, each domain would effect the other. At least we humans are able to engineer our own exits, even if these aren't formally sanctioned by the state and come at the cost of great anxiety. But the other living things we subject to grave suffering on the order of billions to trillions every year have no way to reliably escape us. And what we rationalize doing to them is orders of magnitude more barbaric than even what we do to each other. While I think self determination should be the most critical and basic human "right," it's likely there will always be many human beings who feel entitled to treat other living things however it pleases them. So it seems to me the more critical need for protection lies with non-human animals, protecting them from our lust for exploiting other living beings to satisfy our wants (not even necessarily our needs).

Please share your own perspective.
Nobody wants to hear life sucks and meaningless. Prolife is shitty thing and enforcing others to accept shit is shit.

Love it!

KatieW

KatieW

Happy....
Feb 3, 2019
I think if comprehensive, each domain would effect the other. At least we humans are able to engineer our own exits, even if these aren't formally sanctioned by the state and come at the cost of great anxiety. But the other living things we subject to grave suffering on the order of billions to trillions every year have no way to reliably escape us. And what we rationalize doing to them is orders of magnitude more barbaric than even what we do to each other. While I think self determination should be the most critical and basic human "right," it's likely there will always be many human beings who feel entitled to treat other living things however it pleases them. So it seems to me the more critical need for protection lies with non-human animals, protecting them from our lust for exploiting other living beings to satisfy our wants (not even necessarily our needs).

Please share your own perspective.

Thanks for your views. Let me clarify, about the subject of right to die am wholly with you, and you'd be preaching to the converted. Suffering brought me around. We want to determine if healthies are justified in their pro-life stand and the fairness in the suicidal viewing them as irrational.

You say the right to self determination is fundamental. Do you consider the right to suicide as "self determination"? If yes you will find we are therefore denied a basic right. The state will say humans are necessary for the overall good and therefore legal euthenasia or just suicide is a slippery rope. This is simplistic and irrational to the suicidal but consider the animals. We need them for food, principally (besides extraction of labor for transport or sport, their skin or fur, etc). So we deprive them of the right to live (abattoirs). Can humans do away with animal foods without a significant health or economic disruption? Vegans grapple with this. You find the animal right to live directly contradicts the human right to live. Ergo, our right to ctb contradicts the collective societal right to our input. You are burdened to prove you are unfit to live and there goes your right. I think this is the legal rationale. Recall you placed animal rights over the human right to die, so you cannot accept the animal is good for food yet you are no good to society.

Rights bestow obligation. You have a right to education, and are equally required to get an education. Schooling is not optional in many countries. The caveat of being unfit - terminal illness, say - is a precedent in all progressive jurisdictions that allow assisted suicide. Now, a pro-lifer's motivation may be religion or faith. This is the political base we need to convert - rebut faith with logic - tough luck! For the case of animal rights the zealous anti-vegans would likely be the meat industry. I imagine vegans are disposed to support assisted suicide and other extra-progressive ideals.
'
A measure of the "irrational" I suggest look at how many people support or agree to an ideal? You could say veganism is irrational, could you? I noted the liberal (Dems) in a place like California are vehemently against suicide yet allow assisted suicide with caveats. It tells you how many miles we have to cover to a basic right to "no-fault" suicide.

Last edited:
FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
Thanks for your views. Let me clarify, about the subject of right to die am wholly with you, and you'd be preaching to the converted. Suffering brought me around. We want to determine if healthies are justified in their pro-life stand and the fairness in the suicidal viewing them as irrational.

You say the right to self determination is fundamental. Do you consider the right to suicide as "self determination"? If yes you will find we are therefore denied a basic right. The state will say humans are necessary for the overall good and therefore legal euthenasia or just suicide is a slippery rope. This is simplistic and irrational to the suicidal but consider the animals. We need them for food, principally (besides extraction of labor for transport or sport, their skin or fur, etc). So we deprive them of the right to live (abattoirs). Can humans do away with animal foods without a significant health or economic disruption? Vegans grapple with this. You find the animal right to live directly contradicts the human right to live. Ergo, our right to ctb contradicts the collective societal right to our input. You are burdened to prove you are unfit to live and there goes your right. I think this is the legal rationale. Recall you placed animal rights over the human right to die, so you cannot accept the animal is good for food yet you are no good to society.

Rights bestow obligation. You have a right to education, and are equally required to get an education. Schooling is not optional in many countries. The caveat of being unfit - terminal illness, say - is a precedent in all progressive jurisdictions that allow assisted suicide. Now, a pro-lifer's motivation may be religion or faith. This is the political base we need to convert - rebut faith with logic - tough luck! For the case of animal rights the zealous anti-vegans would likely be the meat industry. I imagine vegans are disposed to support assisted suicide and other extra-progressive ideals.
'
A measure of the "irrational" I suggest look at how many people support or agree to an ideal? You could say veganism is irrational, could you? I noted the liberal (Dems) in a place like California are vehemently against suicide yet allow assisted suicide with caveats. It tells you how many miles we have to cover to a basic right to "no-fault" suicide.

The prerogative to commit suicide follows from the principle of self ownership. What the state feels about the responsibilities of individuals to the group, I think, is subordinate to the individual's prerogative to do with her-/himself as she/he sees fit so long as no immediate danger befalls others. Responsibilities to society could rest on parents who make a decision to create life, but I do not agree that they necessarily rest on the child-free individual. Most critically, to me, at least, there is no natural reason anyone has to accept the position that she/he must stay alive. And there is so far no universally convincing philosophical argument one must, either. Hence, despite the significant anti-suicide public health efforts in the US and abroad, suicide incidence has been increasing year after year.

I also, with respect, largely reject the reasoning that we "need" animals for food. This may be true in remaining pre-industrial cultures. Where something is a legitimate survival need, the objectivity of need supersedes philosophical considerations. In the increasingly global post-industrial society, the biomedical, ecological, economic, and other research literatures do not support the conclusion animals are a hard survival need for humanity. We continue to use them because we enjoy the products of their exploitation. So just as the imperatives of the state don't have to impose any natural claim on the self-ownership (and determinism) of the individual, humans' desires don't impose any natural claim on other animals. In both cases, control results not from any a priori philosophy but instead from mere relative power. Might makes right in practice.

"Can humans do away with animal foods without a significant health or economic disruption?" I think it's clear how I'd respond to this rhetorical. Interestingly, changing the species and circumstances (say Homo sapiens and slavery...) makes analogous questions to most (at least ostensibly) offensive. Value judgments. Yet, in the future, powerful people might choose to reinstate slavery. So it seems to me we aren't really asking a question of what we "can" do, but instead what we want to do.

"You find the animal right to live directly contradicts the human right to live. Ergo..." A logical contradiction requires a truth value to a claim. I'm not aware of any moral truths, only perspectives and consistent arguments. That humans and non-human animals coexist argues there isn't a logical contradiction in the two ... coexisting. But many of the choices human populations make, devoid of a hard survival need, cause immense suffering to many other species. And that is inconsistent, at least to me, with principles so many of us tout as "good." These are value judgments--not arguments of logic. It's clear others feel differently.

I think one of the problematic concepts here is that of "right." Rights can be legal entitlements or perceived entitlements. But even the former aren't objective, other than the wording of the law--which is still interpretable. Rights may "bestow [other legal] obligations," but unless there's a natural reason someone must act a certain way, those obligations are matters of faith. We breach legal obligations and contracts all the time, even with the blessing of the government. "Rights" and "obligations" seem to me merely cultural and individual perspectives. Until recently, a patient was obliged to satisfy a criterion of imminent physiological terminal-ness to warrant professional medical intervention to end her/his life. This is no longer true everywhere. And there's no necessary reason it must remain true anywhere (else). Ideas have changed. "Unfit" (and its synonyms) is a matter of opinion without an objective criterion. I think cultures will keep evolving in their appreciation of the criteria they consider sufficient for euthanasia access.

We'll doubtlessly be arguing for a while yet about if and when people should be entitled professional medical help dying. And many people who don't need animals to survive will likely continue using them because they want to and are able to. But I don't feel either of these issues imposes any natural or philosophical obligations on people to stay alive. We clearly can kill ourselves. To me the real question is whether the state is justified in stopping people who want to die from dying. The state is able to do this at least some times. But it neither is able to nor (it seems) wants to provide people even what international research shows to be significantly associated with better mental health. I'm not saying the state is malevolent. But none of us can guarantee anyone else's life satisfaction. Passing laws requiring people to stay alive based on mere ideas isn't going to stop suffering people who are able to acquire the means to die from committing suicide. Either the state continues to make suicide difficult, which research shows can exacerbate suicidal ideation and per-capita depression and suicide rates seem to bear this out, or the state can grant citizens far more autonomy to decide when and how we die. For reasons I've shared elsewhere, I think it's irrational to force people to stay alive without being able to provide some universally corroborable and agreeable reason they/we must stay alive. And I don't think that reason exists--at least I've never read anything coming close to it.

I don't want to spew my ideas (more) all over this thread. I respect others' prerogatives to reason how they want to about their own lives' ends and only ask that the rest of us be extended the same courtesy. We may not get that, of course. Hence, sites like this one. Cheers.

Reactions: LivingToLong
KatieW

KatieW

Happy....
Feb 3, 2019
For reasons I've shared elsewhere, I think it's irrational to force people to stay alive without being able to provide some universally corroborable and agreeable reason they/we must stay alive. And I don't think that reason exists--at least I've never read anything coming close to it.

The greater good of society. Pro-lifers (who run the state) hold allowing easy access to suicide would have a domino effect. Millions of healthy happy-seeming productive folks might suddenly ctb leading to socioeconomic catastrophe. What do you say?

FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
The greater good of society. Pro-lifers (who run the state) hold allowing easy access to suicide would have a domino effect. Millions of healthy happy-seeming productive folks might suddenly ctb leading to socioeconomic catastrophe. What do you say?

Hi, @KatieW. It's been a long while. I'm not sure if you're still part of this community. But I agree with you that pro-lifers also don't accept suicide b/c they see the masses as beasts-of-burden who enjoy some "rights" they, those in control, can take away when they see fit (like SCOTUS' recent ruling reaffirming qualified immunity protecting government agents, like law enforcement, even when they violate citizens' supposedly sacred civil rights--even when these agents murder law abiding citizens in our own homes). But if so many people would choose suicide over effective slavery (wage slaving...), then the state ought to assess its own role in suicide. Of course, others have already argued this for more than a century, yet income inequality and many of the other factors scholars link to depression and suicide continue unabated or even have worsened. Because, I think, there are always enough other people who'll happily (and irrationally) keep supplying the state/society with more cheap, disposable laborers--so the state never has to take seriously the marginal yearly suicides.

Did you find it enlightening how the US dubbed very many low-wage/few-or-no-benefits, poor, struggling laborers whom society reviles yet depends on "essential workers," then THREATENED THEM with joblessness and homelessness during a pandemic if they didn't get back to work, even in unsafe conditions? That, I think, bears out what we've both been arguing about one important reason society is so much against suicide access for non-terminal adults. It doesn't want to lose too many in its human labor herd. Your thoughts? (Hope you're well.)

Reactions: Bleh and Symbiote
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
They treat us, people who wanna ctb, like criminals! When the truth is we just want PEACE.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bleh, FTL.Wanderer and Symbiote
FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
They treat us, people who wanna ctb, as criminals when the truth is we just want PEACE.
If you're a sci fi fan (like me), you've seen/read over and over the depiction of the peaceful who just want to live their lives being wiped out by or forced to assimilate within the ranks of the powerful (typically at the bottom of the hierarchy as some kind of labor slave). Either do what the status quo wants or be hurt. Just as in real history. Then they wonder, "Why do more people kill themselves every years?" :/

• Wow
Reactions: WornOutLife