• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I have seen many topics that talk about involuntary hospitalization and commitment and oftenly people use the terms observation, evaluation, commitment, adjudication, and more. Therefore, I've decided to clear up the misconceptions and semantics of these terms as people use them interchangeably and while, yes there are (subtle, yet important) differences between those terms, they are both equally bad in the sense that there are negative consequences from them. Both of them result in medical and hospital bills (from services that one is subject to under duress, under coercion, not fully by their choice), temporary detainment against one's will, violation of freedom and liberties, etc.

Psych Holds, 72-hour holds, temporary holds
Without further ado, psych holds, temporary holds, 72-holds, observations, evaluation is when someone is held against their will for a short period of time at the hospital while being evaluated by a mental health professional (a psychiatrist, social worker, or what have you) and during that time the mental health professionals will decide whether to hold said person longer or release/discharge the person. If they want to hold the person longer due to the person being a risk to him/herself or others, then the mental health professional will get a court order by a judge to do so. By then, the patient would have been adjudicated mentally defective and thus, involuntarily committed.

Adjudication of mentally defective, involuntary commitment
So as far involuntary commitment is concerned, this is where the patient is not only forced against their will, but also found to be mentally defective by court of law (through the legal system after going to trial) and is usually detained for a longer period of time, more than 72+ hours, sometimes a week or many weeks against his or her will. After discharge, there will be a mark in said patient's records as well as background check, which would negatively impact said person's prospects and opportunities in life (career choices, getting clearances, professional licenses, and even civil rights - especially firearm rights). This is even worse than a psych hold as not only is the person held for a longer period of time, but also has a mark in his/her record, which would negatively impact his/her civil liberties and other things in life.

With all that said, either situation is bad as it results in huge medical and hospital bills (especially in the US), a permanent mark in one's background/records, loss of agency and freedom, violation of human rights and more. They are both bad, but I made this thread just to clear up the nuances of these terms and terminology as I oftenly see these terms used interchangeably. Differences and semantics aside, we must fight against these barbaric practices as even human rights champions oftenly go silent when it comes to these issues. Hell, even society and the masses (oftenly blindingly and some willfully) support these kinds of practices, which is even more unsettling.

Last edited:
Reactions: qawsed, Abgrundanziehung and EmbraceOfTheVoid