• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

FERAL_FRENZY

FERAL_FRENZY

Legionnaire <3
Apr 18, 2024
(I don't really know if this post counts as a vent, but I'm gonna tag it as one regardless. It doesn't COMPLETELY sound like a sob story so that should count for something I guess.)

Growing up, I've realized that I've always been a selfish person at heart. More or less. In all my 18 years on this planet, I can only think of two separate occasions where I was completely selfless in my thinking. But as for the rest of my childhood days, I can't recall ever doing good deeds without expecting something in return. Hell, even in the present day, I still treat my relationships with this transactional mindset. This even extends to how much I'm able to empathize with my peers. Whenever I'm comforting someone, I feel like I'm doing it with the intention of getting things "back to normal" so I won't have to deal with the discomfort of sitting in someone else's negative emotions. And after I've successfully cheered them up, I don't particularly care for their newfound happiness; rather, I focus on the fact that they're far more likely to be content with going along with whatever activity I've got planned for us next. In short, you feel like shit > I cheer you up > You fall back into our usual routine.

Even when interacting with people I'm fond of, this pattern of thinking still persists. Hearing about their problems makes me feel something similar to empathy. (I say "similar" because it's still somewhat self-serving. I believe this is as close to the feeling as I can get.) I always envision what it'd be like to be in their place and how their misfortune would make ME feel. By then, I can put on a performance of compassion and understanding, even though the other person's unaware that I'm essentially treating the interaction as if I were talking to my clone, an extension of myself.

What people DO pick up on, is how robotic my attempts at consolation can come across. I've even had a friend jokingly compare it to speaking with someone who works in customer service. Deadpan, as if I'm rehearsing a script, which I guess I technically am. I'm just telling them what they wanna hear. No matter how hard I try, I'm never truly able to see others as individuals. You MUST be attached to me in some way in order for me to give a damn about you.

My family believes that this is all the result of "childhood trauma." That I've always been a total saint, capable of feeling compassion for even the most misfortunate of people. I HATE that idea with a burning passion. It's like they can't stand the idea of one of their own being fundamentally fucked since birth, so they'd rather convince themselves that some tragic event must've "changed" me for the worse. It's pathetic, and I take every opportunity I can to rub it in their faces. Knocks them down a peg, y'know? 10/10 would recommend.

All jokes aside, I'll admit that this does bother me from time to time. Or rather, my LACK of guilt bothers me because I believe my train of thought doesn't align with my perception of how one should "typically" react to others' misfortune. (Basically, feeling guilty about NOT feeling guilty.) I KNOW I shouldn't think this way, but I'm in too deep to be bothered. So, I flip-flop between feeling like the scum of the earth and not giving a shit and going about my day. It's just the norm at this point.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, EternalShore, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
I'm sorry for your suffering!! I don't think it's easy to think of ways to console people 100% of the time anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, FERAL_FRENZY and eatantz
FERAL_FRENZY

FERAL_FRENZY

Legionnaire <3
Apr 18, 2024
I'm sorry for your suffering!! I don't think it's easy to think of ways to console people 100% of the time anyway.
I just sorta wish I could feel the way I'm supposed to when I do it. Like I've already got the words down and know what to say, but actually feeling something is the challenging part. I still can't get that quite right.

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath
EmptyHeaded

EmptyHeaded

Experienced
Jan 24, 2024
Most people are what you would describe as selfish. Most relationships are transactional. That's normal human behaviour.
This even extends to how much I'm able to empathize with my peers. Whenever I'm comforting someone, I feel like I'm doing it with the intention of getting things "back to normal" so I won't have to deal with the discomfort of sitting in someone else's negative emotions. And after I've successfully cheered them up, I don't particularly care for their newfound happiness; rather, I focus on the fact that they're far more likely to be content with going along with whatever activity I've got planned for us next. In short, you feel like shit > I cheer you up > You fall back into our usual routine.
What you're describing is normal behaviour. Call it selfish, but that's how almost every human thinks.
If someone were to cheer you up, they'd likely do so for very similar reasons.
Even when interacting with people I'm fond of, this pattern of thinking still persists. Hearing about their problems makes me feel something similar to empathy. (I say "similar" because it's still somewhat self-serving. I believe this is as close to the feeling as I can get.) I always envision what it'd be like to be in their place and how their misfortune would make ME feel. By then, I can put on a performance of compassion and understanding, even though the other person's unaware that I'm essentially treating the interaction as if I were talking to my clone, an extension of myself.
To my understanding, that is what empathy is. You understand their situation, their feelings, by "putting yourself in their shoes".
"Empathy is generally described as the ability to take on another's perspective [...]"
That's what you're doing.

EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
It'd be nice if this wasn't the case, but tbh, people are naturally selfish and evil~ :( It sucks for existing around them, but it's true~ :( Most friendships are transactional, and unfortunately, most of everyone here was probably on the abused end of that~ :/
In regards to guilt, there's a theory where cultures can either feel guilt, shame, anxiety, or fear. It has to deal with different cultures' moral codes. I'm one of the ones who feels guilt most strongly~ :) Do perhaps you feel one of the other ones more? :D

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
FERAL_FRENZY

FERAL_FRENZY

Legionnaire <3
Apr 18, 2024
It'd be nice if this wasn't the case, but tbh, people are naturally selfish and evil~ :( It sucks for existing around them, but it's true~ :( Most friendships are transactional, and unfortunately, most of everyone here was probably on the abused end of that~ :/
In regards to guilt, there's a theory where cultures can either feel guilt, shame, anxiety, or fear. It has to deal with different cultures' moral codes. I'm one of the ones who feels guilt most strongly~ :) Do perhaps you feel one of the other ones more? :D

Do you mind going into a bit more detail about this? I don't quite understand but I'm curious to see your perspective. However, I do agree that most friendships/ relationships nowadays seem transactional. Everyone always "wants" something from the other instead of wanting to get to know them. Idk if I worded that right but I'm hoping you get the gist. ^^

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and EternalShore
EternalShore

EternalShore

Jun 9, 2023
Do you mind going into a bit more detail about this? I don't quite understand but I'm curious to see your perspective. However, I do agree that most friendships/ relationships nowadays seem transactional. Everyone always "wants" something from the other instead of wanting to get to know them. Idk if I worded that right but I'm hoping you get the gist. ^^
The guy who made this map is a little biased (especially on guilt [which revolves around doing what is morally good for a higher power] and anxiety [which involves doing what's cool, equitable, and fearing what's out of one's control])~ but he generally gets the theory and additionally includes the concept of anxiety into it~ :)

• Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, FERAL_FRENZY and Hvergelmir
FERAL_FRENZY

FERAL_FRENZY

Legionnaire <3
Apr 18, 2024
The guy who made this map is a little biased (especially on guilt [which revolves around doing what is morally good for a higher power] and anxiety [which involves doing what's cool, equitable, and fearing what's out of one's control])~ but he generally gets the theory and additionally includes the concept of anxiety into it~ :)

View attachment 140655

View attachment 140655
Ahhh, I see now! Thank you for clarifying. ^^ If I'm to go along with this chart, then I'd say the way I feel would fall under the "anxiety" category. I don't believe in a higher power or the supernatural, but I do my best to follow along with whatever behaviors are deemed socially acceptable. If society says that we must comfort others in a time of need, then I'll do my best to come across as empathetic, even if I honestly don't give a shit. I do this because the idea of others potentially picking up on my apathy makes me incredibly nervous. Hell, I've even gotten into trouble for this in the past! I hate being fake, but it's the only way I'll be able to maintain any sort of friendship in the long run :,)

• Hugs
Reactions: EternalShore and Praestat_Mori
EternalShore

EternalShore

Jun 9, 2023
Ahhh, I see now! Thank you for clarifying. ^^ If I'm to go along with this chart, then I'd say the way I feel would fall under the "anxiety" category. I don't believe in a higher power or the supernatural, but I do my best to follow along with whatever behaviors are deemed socially acceptable. If society says that we must comfort others in a time of need, then I'll do my best to come across as empathetic, even if I honestly don't give a shit. I do this because the idea of others potentially picking up on my apathy makes me incredibly nervous. Hell, I've even gotten into trouble for this in the past! I hate being fake, but it's the only way I'll be able to maintain any sort of friendship in the long run :,)
yup! ^_^ and yeahhh, paranoia about social relations sucks! >_< just, do your best to maintain them as well as you can! :D hopefully, one day you can find a true friend as rare as they may be! :3

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Every human is self serving at best and selfish at worst. That's human nature sadly