weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I haven't watched Season 4 yet, but I've heard it deals with interesting topics. I'm planning to catch up when I've finished Adventure Time.

As for the previous seasons, I'd say that I tend to like the episodes that focus less on the tech and more on the people. I thought that the first couple of seasons had somewhat weaker episodes, but Season 3 was almost entirely great (except for the 1st episode and bits of the 2nd). Shut up and Dance, San Junipero and Hated in the Nation are the best of the series for me. In retrospect, I find the first two seasons to be doing much less with the tech that they have set up in their world.

Well, in computing terms, moving across drives is basically a copy followed by a delete. So that does check out.
I suppose it's likely because Netflix picked the show up at season 3, but for example I totally loved the scene that I posted in the OP which was from episode 2. I think I actually skipped half of an episode in the 3rd season but mostly I'm easily entertained, if I can find any thing to appreciate in an episode it's usually good enough for me.

I never really thought of it in computing terms and I guess that's where I got the idea from. it's a really weird thought that people might do this, imagine if they automated the process to avoid the trauma of literally killing themselves while a copy of themself was uploaded. I hope humanity stops soon.

Reactions: RM5998
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
it's a really weird thought that people might do this, imagine if they automated the process to avoid the trauma of literally killing themselves while a copy of themself was uploaded.

Yeah, that would be kinda amazing. A reality you can structure around your wishes and dose up on drugs with zero repercussions would be amazing. For me, it might help forget the emptiness of my life. As long as new stuff gets added to the server, it would be fucking great.

I suppose it's likely because Netflix picked the show up at season 3, but for example I totally loved the scene that I posted in the OP which was from episode 2. I think I actually skipped half of an episode in the 3rd season but mostly I'm easily entertained, if I can find any thing to appreciate in an episode it's usually good enough for me.

That's often true for me too. In fact, I only came to the realization while looking for what the episodes I liked most were named. I think the Netflix backing let the show-runners dial back on making the episode concepts outrageous, leading to a lot more nuance in the commentary. But while watching, I do remember liking some of the episodes a lot more than now.

Reactions: weedoge
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Yeah, that would be kinda amazing. A reality you can structure around your wishes and dose up on drugs with zero repercussions would be amazing. For me, it might help forget the emptiness of my life. As long as new stuff gets added to the server, it would be fucking great.

That's often true for me too. In fact, I only came to the realization while looking for what the episodes I liked most were named. I think the Netflix backing let the show-runners dial back on making the episode concepts outrageous, leading to a lot more nuance in the commentary. But while watching, I do remember liking some of the episodes a lot more than now.
Noooo it wouldn't be great. The whole point is that a copy and delete... it wouldn't really be YOU. It would think it was you, but if you didn't delete the original copy then that would still be you too, right? So there's no way that you could upload this current conscious experience you're having right now. It's fine in computering terms because files and folders don't have minds of their own and don't care about being copied and deleted.

If you were going to upload yourself and delete your original consciousness, may as well forget it all and catch the bus.

Half of the enjoyment for me is the shock factor and like... being pretty amazed that somebody even had the idea for this and actually went ahead and made it into a show. I've only just started on series 3 anyway so I'll let you know what I think when I'm a but further. :D

Reactions: lv-gras
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I had a friend who really helped me a lot through some shitty times, but it didn't really help and we drifted apart, he wanted to watch this movie with me really badly so you're the second person who's kind of brought it up to me. I'll probably find some time to check it out.

If you do watch Blade Runner, make sure to watch the Final Cut from 2007. There have been a million versions of the movie, but this one is the one Ridley Scott wanted. You should watch the sequel too (called Blade Runner 2049). It's directed by Denis Villeneuve, and IMO it furthers the themes that the first one sets up pretty well. The visuals are astounding. The cyberpunk aesthetic originates from Blade Runner, and inspired Akira (movie version) and Ghost in the Shell (again, movie version) to a large extent.

Reactions: lv-gras and weedoge
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Noooo it wouldn't be great. The whole point is that a copy and delete... it wouldn't really be YOU. It would think it was you, but if you didn't delete the original copy then that would still be you too, right? So there's no way that you could upload this current conscious experience you're having right now. It's fine in computering terms because files and folders don't have minds of their own and don't care about being copied and deleted.

If you were going to upload yourself and delete your original consciousness, may as well forget it all and catch the bus.

Half of the enjoyment for me is the shock factor and like... being pretty amazed that somebody even had the idea for this and actually went ahead and made it into a show. I've only just started on series 3 anyway so I'll let you know what I think when I'm a but further. :D

The point of the copy is that it is the same thing. It would be me, just somewhere else.

Also, we can speak of our mental structures in terms of code. In fact, one of the earliest things we came up with for computers (within a few decades of Turing's paper) was of artificial neural networks. The work on the field stopped when the realization hit that all the models they were making were unusable in practice, so they found out easier machine learning algorithms, until now, when we've caught up.

We already have entire virtual models of worms and some invertebrate forms in totality. I'm guessing that it wouldn't take more than a decade or two till we get to the point where we can replicate that for us.

weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
The point of the copy is that it is the same thing. It would be me, just somewhere else.

Also, we can speak of our mental structures in terms of code. In fact, one of the earliest things we came up with for computers (within a few decades of Turing's paper) was of artificial neural networks. The work on the field stopped when the realization hit that all the models they were making were unusable in practice, so they found out easier machine learning algorithms, until now, when we've caught up.

We already have entire virtual models of worms and some invertebrate forms in totality. I'm guessing that it wouldn't take more than a decade or two till we get to the point where we can replicate that for us.
but it wouldn't just be you somewhere else, a copy of a consciousness is a new consciousness. It's not you anymore just because it thinks it is! If you could make a clone of yourself right now, physical as well as mental, that wouldn't be you... it'd be a direct copy of you but it wouldn't be you and it wouldn't become you if you killed yourself either. From that point on those two yous would have their own unique experiences and basically be a disturbingly identical twin. Sorry I just won't agree that it's possible to transfer my conscious experience to another place ever :p

I know about the worm neural networks actually and that stuff really interests me too. It's a pretty interesting and bizarre subject to think about.

Reactions: RM5998
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
but it wouldn't just be you somewhere else, a copy of a consciousness is a new consciousness. It's not you anymore just because it thinks it is! If you could make a clone of yourself right now, physical as well as mental, that wouldn't be you... it'd be a direct copy of you but it wouldn't be you and it wouldn't become you if you killed yourself either. From that point on those two yous would have their own unique experiences and basically be a disturbingly identical twin. Sorry I just won't agree that it's possible to transfer my conscious experience to another place ever :p

I know about the worm neural networks actually and that stuff really interests me too. It's a pretty interesting and bizarre subject to think about.

My point wasn't that it is the same entity in terms of composition, but that the difference is immaterial. Yes, it is a different entity in terms of when and how it was made, but structurally it's the same as me. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find it disturbing at all. But I do get why anyone would. Maybe that's because I find nothing specially distinctive and worthwhile in my physical existence - there hasn't been any experience I've enjoyed that isn't almost entirely conceptual.

weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Yes, the only person who could percieve the difference would be yourself, which is another pretty interesting though. It might be awesome to observe another version of yourself uploaded into a futuristic hivemind or virtual reality etc etc etc, but that's all you could ever do.

Weird to think that "you" could experience what it would be like, but you could never know that experience. Unless you asked yourself... confusing shit.....

Curious, what do you mean by almost entirely conceptual? Drugs? Faith? Spirituality?

RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Yes, the only person who could percieve the difference would be yourself, which is another pretty interesting though. It might be awesome to observe another version of yourself uploaded into a futuristic hivemind or virtual reality etc etc etc, but that's all you could ever do.

Weird to think that "you" could experience what it would be like, but you could never know that experience. Unless you asked yourself... confusing shit.....

It's somewhat reminiscent of the Prestige, isn't it? The clones of Angier are essentially the same as him.

Curious, what do you mean by almost entirely conceptual? Drugs? Faith? Spirituality?

By entirely conceptual, I mean that the actual physical experience I have of the world has no attraction for me. The things I look back on with fondness - being introduced to Pokemon, reading the Bartimaeus trilogy, writing code that works, feeling moved by Shigatsu's emotionally powerful music, being amazed by Automata's depth (which is why I'm interested in game design) and so on - are almost entirely related to my mental conception of the ideas conveyed. I like Pokemon not because of the feel of playing it on a Gameboy, but because I find the game entertaining and complex. Drawing, playing the guitar and Dota are the only three things that I enjoy with some physical aspect, and said physical aspect is actually the most irritating part of the whole thing (which is why I don't do any of those now).

weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
It's somewhat reminiscent of the Prestige, isn't it? The clones of Angier are essentially the same as him.

By entirely conceptual, I mean that the actual physical experience I have of the world has no attraction for me. The things I look back on with fondness - being introduced to Pokemon, reading the Bartimaeus trilogy, writing code that works, feeling moved by Shigatsu's emotionally powerful music, being amazed by Automata's depth (which is why I'm interested in game design) and so on - are almost entirely related to my mental conception of the ideas conveyed. I like Pokemon not because of the feel of playing it on a Gameboy, but because I find the game entertaining and complex. Drawing, playing the guitar and Dota are the only three things that I enjoy with some physical aspect, and said physical aspect is actually the most irritating part of the whole thing (which is why I don't do any of those now).
Don't hurt me but I've never seen that movie, should I take a look?

Ah I see what you mean though, I've kind of never thought of it likely that actually. I guess most people would say you're a bit introverted and creative?

Personally I think I have a lot of interests rooted in the real world but due to other factors, you know fear etc etc I've never had the chance to appreciate them. I have this version of myself in my head where I'm basically this extroverted alternate version of myself, loving myself and life and life, climbing mountains and travelling the world and basically living the high life. but that's not who I am and I just sit here. It also goes the opposite way I guess I have all these ideas of how artistically creative I wish I could be and I'm also never able to pursue those. So instead I just talk about my feelings lol. oof sorry bit of a tangent.

RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Don't hurt me but I've never seen that movie, should I take a look?

Yes, it's pretty well made and acted. One of Nolan's earlier movies, and I'd say that it's one of his best.

I guess most people would say you're a bit introverted and creative?

Well, I was that. One of the reasons that I'm done with life is that the enjoyment seems to have been sucked out of all the things I used to love. And I'm trying to gather up the strength to CTB so that I don't have to live with this stale taste in my mouth.

Personally I think I have a lot of interests rooted in the real world but due to other factors, you know fear etc etc I've never had the chance to appreciate them. I have this version of myself in my head where I'm basically this extroverted alternate version of myself, loving myself and life and life, climbing mountains and travelling the world and basically living the high life. but that's not who I am and I just sit here. It also goes the opposite way I guess I have all these ideas of how artistically creative I wish I could be and I'm also never able to pursue those. So instead I just talk about my feelings lol

That reminds me of what I used to be like in around 8th and 9th grade. I used to put on an extraverted public persona and try to fit into my classmates' world, because being alone hurt a lot at that time. And the idea was that if I pretended to be that guy for long enough, it would eventually become real. Ironically, my public persona became more appealing to people when I was done with wanting anything to do with them. People would talk to me of their own accord in 10th grade and ahead, which was the point by which I was starting to form concrete suicide plans and shunning my friends. This was probably motivated by my crush getting a boyfriend, which was kinda an indicator of how shallow I had let myself become. The fact that I could never muster up the guts to tell her still hurts.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I went off on an equally long tangent. Go figure.