Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I heard that popular magazine decades ago predicted flying cars and whatnot around the year 2000 and other amazing things. Is the future a big disappointment? What are your predictions for 2070?

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: Forever Sleep, _AllCatsAreGrey_, Pluto and 2 others
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Heavens I will not be kicking anymore, but I think AI and the like is going to be in everything, good or bad. I have hopes for electronics and the like to be able to help people who cannot see, hear and the like.

I hate to say it, but I believe that there will be a WW3. As over population, greed and limited resources all come into play a lot more, something or someone will trigger something that humanity will regret. I just hope WW4 is not fought with sticks and stones.

Walter

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Blurry_Buildings, Praestat_Mori and Ambivalent1
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I don't care. Whatever was predicted for the 2020's ... flying cars ... vacation in a space station ... flying bikes ...

I don't care bc I can't do any of it ... Whatever is in 2070 ... I'm old by that time or hopefully long gone if my life doesn't become worth to be lived again.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
When I was growing up, Back to the Future Trilogy was the biggest movie, so that was our main reference point for the high-tech future world to look forward to. (Thinking now, I don't think they got a single prediction right!) While there were no scientists predicting things like flying cars, there was a huge sense of excitement for future technology in general.

For me, the big surprises were:
* Overpopulation and costly housing have made life far harsher despite goodies like air conditioning, GPS and big TVs being democratised.
* Today's smartphones are beyond anything I imagined.
* ICE cars have barely changed since the '90s other than having screens, safety features and funkier styling.
* Idealistic predictions of society 'healing the world' were unfortunately as wrong as BTTF.
* Given the problems caused by Facebook, disinformation, political polarisation and loss of community, I learned that technology could actually make the world a worse place.

Most of all, I never would have expected that decades later, I would wish that I could go back to the '80s and stay there for good this time.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Blurry_Buildings, Hollowman, MrOptions and 3 others
QueerMelancholy

QueerMelancholy

Mage
Jul 29, 2023
I mean you can kinda think of helicopters as "flying" cars if you really think about it. LOL.

I do find it interesting how eerily accurate some of the sci-fi predictions concerning social media, the internet, and cell phones were/are.

I don't see much advancement happening over the next 50 ish years unless, of course, it's something profound like cancer treatments and anti-viral medicines. Technology-wise there's AI which will probably end up being something interesting in some shape or form. Other technologies seem to have slowed down in advancement or are more interested in recycling older designs to shape future ones.

I like to think the greatest advancement will be in the form of social progressivism. The younger generation seems to be far more progressive than us so I have hope for their children at least in a political and socioeconomic context.

• Hugs
Reactions: Blurry_Buildings, Forever Sleep, whywere and 1 other person
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I mean you can kinda think of helicopters as "flying" cars if you really think about it. LOL.

I do find it interesting how eerily accurate some of the sci-fi predictions concerning social media, the internet, and cell phones were/are.

I don't see much advancement happening over the next 50 ish years unless, of course, it's something profound like cancer treatments and anti-viral medicines. Technology-wise there's AI which will probably end up being something interesting in some shape or form. Other technologies seem to have slowed down in advancement or are more interested in recycling older designs to shape future ones.

I like to think the greatest advancement will be in the form of social progressivism. The younger generation seems to be far more progressive than us so I have hope for their children at least in a political and socioeconomic context.
AI will be God.

Reactions: sserafim