Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
That's interesting that it made them more likely to die or get worse. Could it be performance anxiety? Maybe they start thinking, "These people are praying for me, I MUST get better!" and the extra stress kills them faster.

Precisely, it was theorised that the people who received a prayer developed underlying stress and anxiety because the act of prayer convinced them that they were sufficiently ill as to need divine intervention to recover. It's like if you're about to go in for a major operation and your surgeon says "good luck" before walking out... It's not likely to fill you with confidence.

• Love
Reactions: Xocoyotziin, esse_est_percipi, BitterlyAlive and 1 other person
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Precisely, it was theorised that the people who received a prayer developed underlying stress and anxiety because the act of prayer convinced them that they were sufficiently ill as to need divine intervention to recover. It's like if you're about to go in for a major operation and your surgeon says "good luck" before walking out... It's not likely to fill you with confidence.
This is a great perspective. Thank you for bringing it up, mate.

• Love
Reactions: Giraffey
albino_elk

albino_elk

im infj with bpd=dysfunctional trash
Aug 25, 2020
I think the magic is to believe in something or someone not necessary in god or the source but somply believe for believing sake. Our brain works weird when a human believes. Placebo is weird too.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
No one can determine how you think or feel. Those that think they can, can fuck off.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream, BitterlyAlive and esse_est_percipi
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Religion gives a shelter to a lot of people who seek it.
Not a physical shelter but rather a mental one.
It gives people something to live for, a purpose.

Yes some need illusions to keep going but when people believe in illusions to be the truth they become delusions. Delusions are a sign of a diseased mind according to most doctors. Science and archeology has disproved many claims of religious texts. But some people refuse to accept.

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Yes some need illusions to keep going but when people believe in illusions to be the truth they become delusions. Delusions are a sign of a diseased mind according to most doctors
Who's to say what an illusion/reality is or not? Who has that ultimate authority? I would take what the medical industry and psychiatry say about delusions and mental illnesses with a pinch of salt.
They have a vested interest to present their psycho-discourse as 'knowledge' because it comes with a concomitant power to control, medicalize and economically exploit individuals through sectioning and the prescription of pharmacological drugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost in a Dream and Xocoyotziin
Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
Yeah believing in an insane overlord of whatever flavor who arbitrarily gets to control me and my existence makes me so much less suicidal.

I see this happen with mental illness too. It's too common that people inflict their misunderstandings on those who they think are mentally ill instead of earnestly asking them how they feel and what their motivations are, and even for those who do they often distrust that person's self-assessment and perspective because if you're crazy you're considered unreliable or dishonest. Then that person takes on those misconceptions because of the sheer brute force of it, they get worse, and whoever was doing the assessing gets to pat themselves on the back for their self-fulfilling prophecy. It's an accidental way to control people through your own fear, worry and pride, things that only you're responsible for.

• Love
Reactions: woxihuanni, Lost in a Dream and esse_est_percipi
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Who's to say what an illusion/reality is or not? Who has that ultimate authority? I would take what the medical industry and psychiatry say about delusions and mental illnesses with a pinch of salt.
They have a vested interest to present their psycho-discourse as 'knowledge' because it comes with a concomitant power to control, medicalize and economically exploit individuals through sectioning and the prescription of pharmacological drugs.
Try applying that logic on a schizophrenic who knows what a psychotic episode is and how much relief even temporary or to functional level some medicine gives them from their delusions. Yes there is a vested interest one related to the safety of the individual and from some articles of their victims. And yes it comes at monetary cost, but so do most things. I read many stories of people suffering from mental illness where some medications just fix them. Doctors have never lied to me they told me there are many neurons in the human body and they aren't at the stage yet to control the behaviour of them but also told me that they don't even know how or why some medications work but they do work, but not with everyone.

T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
I hate so much when someone tells me to believe in God to cure my depression or heal my mind. Sorry no offense but horrible things were done in "the name of God". I don't believe in God and never will. I hate the church, the Pope and all those pedophiles.

• Love
Reactions: albino_elk