• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

D

Daria98765

Student
Dec 2, 2021
I want to ctb with nitrogen+bag and my car is the best spot for it.
But i will buy a large cylinder (50 litres or 254,266 cu/ft) to make sure nitro is enough,so it won't fit in the car vertically.My car ceiling height is 120cm whereas the cylinder is 140cm.
I will have to put it kinda Horizontally.
Here is a pic for better understanding.So is it ok to store a gas cylinder like this?Will it be alright?Won't it explode or work incorrectly?

I don't have a private garage to do it outdoors.Using a smaller cylinder that will fit my car kinda scares me
2hAAAgBbE A 960

Last edited:
D

Daria98765

Student
Dec 2, 2021
Maybe i found the decision.I will buy two smaller cylinders with 82cm height and 10 litres volume or 54,73 cu/ft instead of 254,266 cu/ft.
One is for practice,one is for ctb.So gas in 54,73 cu/ft volume cylinder weighs 1,8kg which is about 1438 litres of gas which gives me 95,8 minutes to die.

T

Ta555

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2021
Nitrogen doesn't explode but it the tank punctures or the regulator or valve break off it will become like a rocket with strength enough to go through concrete walls.

Reactions: LADY007 and Onthe29th
Noctis

Noctis

I wish I'd done it years ago
Dec 15, 2021
I didn't see this before now.

Like @Ta555 said, nitrogen won't ignite. Generally, laying one of those tracks on their side is a terrible idea, but for a single car ride, it should be okay.

Just be VERY careful not to hit or bump the valves. The inside of that cylinder is under a lot of pressure, and it will spring a leak and turn into a rocket if you aren't careful. Keep that lid on (like in the picture) and you should be fine.

Wait, I just reread it. You're planning on ctb in your car? Then no, get a different cylinder. You can't have it on its side like that with the gas flowing. You could transport it if you were careful, but I would heavily advise against opening any of the valves of the cylinder isn't vertical.

Last edited:
D

Daria98765

Student
Dec 2, 2021
I didn't see this before now.

Like @Ta555 said, nitrogen won't ignite. Generally, laying one of those tracks on their side is a terrible idea, but for a single car ride, it should be okay.

Just be VERY careful not to hit or bump the valves. The inside of that cylinder is under a lot of pressure, and it will spring a leak and turn into a rocket if you aren't careful. Keep that lid on (like in the picture) and you should be fine.
Alright.I posted above that i'm thinking about two smaller cylinders that will be able to stand on the floor of my car during the ctb.And thank you for the warnings.I will order a ship delivery to my spot,so the the transportation should be fine.
Wait, I just reread it. You're planning on ctb in your car? Then no, get a different cylinder. You can't have it on its side like that with the gas flowing. You could transport it if you were careful, but I would heavily advise against opening any of the valves of the cylinder isn't vertical.
Btw,i'm just curious,why not vertical cylinder is a bad idea?

Last edited:
Noctis

Noctis

Dec 15, 2021
Btw,i'm just curious,why not vertical cylinder is a bad idea?
The pressurized gas could have condensed to a liquid. If the cylinder isn't upright and that condensed liquid goes through the valves, it can damage it and then the cylinder becomes a rocket.

B

BeBraveBrother

Student
Sep 5, 2020
The pressurized gas could have condensed to a liquid. If the cylinder isn't upright and that condensed liquid goes through the valves, it can damage it and then the cylinder becomes a rocket.
Hi, thanks a lot for your explanations. It is so important to not make major mistakes.

I have my bottle now for more than a year and it went through all seasons (super warm in the room over 30°Celsius during summer as I don't have an air conditioner, but also ver cold during Winter as the heating wasn't working for some days).
The bottles position was switched from horizontal to upright a lot of times, sometimes for many days in all seasons and temepratures.
Do you think it might be dangeorus to open it and to use it? I had a trial with it I think before summer, when I opened it to see if it is working fine with the pressure reducer I bought and everything seemed to be fine.

Would you buy a new bottle?
Are you sure what you said is also relevant for nitrogen?

Thanks again for your help!

Do you have an education in the field of gasses and their physics or some sources you can maybe name?

:)

Noctis

Noctis

Dec 15, 2021
Hi, thanks a lot for your explanations. It is so important to not make major mistakes.

I have my bottle now for more than a year and it went through all seasons (super warm in the room over 30°Celsius during summer as I don't have an air conditioner, but also ver cold during Winter as the heating wasn't working for some days).
The bottles position was switched from horizontal to upright a lot of times, sometimes for many days in all seasons and temepratures.
Do you think it might be dangeorus to open it and to use it? I had a trial with it I think before summer, when I opened it to see if it is working fine with the pressure reducer I bought and everything seemed to be fine.

Would you buy a new bottle?
Are you sure what you said is also relevant for nitrogen?

Thanks again for your help!

Do you have an education in the field of gasses and their physics or some sources you can maybe name?

:)
First, no, I am not a physicist and I do not have any special education regarding gases, but I do use various pressurized cylinders at my job, and I have some experience welding. The rest of it is just searching the internet.

Second, turns out I was wrong about the gas turning into liquid and destroying the valves. It will do that with other gases, but nitrogen won't condense into a liquid unless very cold or under more pressure than that tank could withstand. I still wouldn't turn it on while on its side, but that may just be overabundance of caution.

Most pressurized cylinders (including nitrogen) are good for five years, so you should be good to go. 30°C to 0°C is a negligible amount to a cylinder of pressurized nitrogen, so I wouldn't be afraid to use it. The only thing I would care about is to make sure the valves are in good shape, there isn't a leak, and there's still enough pressure so you won't run out before you die. If you have a gauge on the cylinder that says there's pressure, and you don't hear a hissing sound, I would be comfortable opening the line.

If it were a flammable gas or something reactive, I might be more concerned. But nitrogen is inert and won't react with anything. The only health/safety concern is asphyxiation, and that's the goal.

Reactions: BeBraveBrother
D

Daria98765

Student
Dec 2, 2021
I do use various pressurized cylinders at my job, and I have some experience welding. The rest of it is just searching the internet.
I don't have click style regulator in my country.
What typical welding regulator would you recommend for 5L brass valve cylinder 150 bar, connection W21,6x1/14'' (DIN 6)?
There are so many regulators priced from 20$ to 1000$
There are so many types
1.For technical
2.For Pure gases with stainless diaphragm
Single stage / Two stage and Different Operating/Inlet pressure
Input Output Connection
37 80 Screenshot 2022 01 27 at 231831

Noctis

Noctis

Dec 15, 2021
I don't have click style regulator in my country.
What typical welding regulator would you recommend for 5L brass valve cylinder 150 bar, connection W21,6x1/14'' (DIN 6)?
There are so many regulators priced from 20$ to 1000$
There are so many types
1.For technical
2.For Pure gases with stainless diaphragm
Single stage / Two stage and Different Operating/Inlet pressure
Input Output Connection
View attachment 84782View attachment 84783
Huh, we're starting to get outside my wheelhouse. I don't have much familiarity with single stage vs two stage, so I'll have to do a little research first.

I can search around and try to find a better answer for you, but I don't have one off the top of my head.

Also, sorry for the huge delay; I haven't really been on in a few days.

Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
FYI: Nitrogen does not condense until -196 degrees Celsius.

Reactions: BeBraveBrother and Noctis
Noctis

Noctis

Dec 15, 2021
FYI: Nitrogen does not condense until -196 degrees Celsius.
Yeah, I have way more experience with acetylene, propane, oxygen, and carbon dioxide, and foolishly assumed the precautions I take with those are universal.

Reactions: Greenberg