C

CowsAreCool

Student
Sep 21, 2021
I am a liar

A prolific one. My whole life. As long as I've ever known. I lie.

I lie to everyone, constantly. To strangers, friends, family. Not about anything important, necessarily. Just anything. What I ate for breakfast. What I like to do or eat. How my day is going. I lie.

I'm incredibly good at it. Ridiculously good at it. I virtually never get caught. If I do get caught, I'm always able to play it as a simply misunderstanding.

But I even lie to myself. I say things, and then laying in bed at night, I'll suddenly realize they aren't true. It doesn't even occur to me as I tell the lies that they're lies. To me, in the moment, they're true. I believe half the lies I tell.

I hate living this way. But I have to lie to myself. I'm not sure I can live with myself. I tell myself that I'm smart and good looking. That I'll have a great future and that I'm capable of achieving my goals. That I add anything of value to this world.

I hate being a liar. But I hate myself more.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ai-chan, Ginnn, aforestfire and 4 others
looking_for_peace

looking_for_peace

Student
Dec 4, 2022
I understand how you feel. what sucks is that lying actually seems to work-- for a time at least, it feels much easier to make friends/have fulfilling conversations. but then it gets exhausting after a while doesn't it? suddenly you find yourself juggling a ton of bullshit lies that you must remember and sustain in order to keep the friends/partners who don't really know you. I'm not sure if that's why you lie, but I can understand the shame/guilt that comes with it.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Everyone lies about stuff like how their day is going, not to mention feigning interest in how a stranger's day is going. Questions about the future are always speculative, so can't really count as lies.

When lying gets out of control, the cause usually seems to be a defense mechanism. Sometimes in childhood, we learn to lie as a means of evading punishment, and this becomes engrained as a habit. In extreme cases, entire masks, personas or alters can emerge, and the individual might not even be aware of their disintegration.

The worst part of the situation is that lying is a habit that can lead to tremendous worldly success, which disincentivises going through a process of self-improvement.

Being conscious of the situation is helpful, as is being in a position to feel remorse. It might be a situation that could be genuinely helped with therapy. Beneath the liar is some sort of inner child - perhaps deeply ashamed or afraid.

Reactions: donealready