wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
just saw a video about frightened sheep and lambs in a slaughterhouse and just feel i'm screaming internally

• Aww..
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Fall_Apart, undecided, NoDream and 11 others
D

Dayrain

Arcanist
Feb 3, 2023
There is no value in watching this.

wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
maybe not as I'm already a vegan but I wish I could make everyone who has the ability to be plant based watch it i wish humans would stop hurting animals i hate it so much

• Love
Reactions: Eudaimonic, Fall_Apart, undecided and 6 others
emptymiku

emptymiku

bokura wa inochi ni kirawarete iru
Mar 27, 2023
i feel like i'm going crazy over this sometimes. people say theyre against animal abuse but eat meat with every meal. like just say you dont care unless its a cat or dog .. makes me lose hope in humanity

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Eudaimonic, Fall_Apart, ijustwishtodie and 3 others
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
i feel like i'm going crazy over this sometimes. people say theyre against animal abuse but eat meat with every meal. like just say you dont care unless its a cat or dog .. makes me lose hope in humanity
People also say that they are against child labour yet they buy and consume goods made from it. Being vegan isn't going to cause animal abuse to go away. It won't really do anything. Trying to decrease the amount of animal abuse that goes on in places, such as the meat industry, requires actual political action.

• Informative
Reactions: Downdraft, WildAtHeart, Lady Laudanum and 4 others
Z-A

Z-A

Let me go
Mar 3, 2024
Have you seen animals ripping each other's body parts and eating them WHILE the animal is alive?

It's the nature. Saying it's evil is the same as saying the whole nature is bad.

Even if we stop, they will kill each other in the wild in a very brutal and painful way, much worse than humans do.

Existence is sadistic, and we can't change it. We can't impose morality on everyone or convince all humans to follow the same ethical views.

Reactions: depthss, Plato'sCaveDweller and LifeQuitter
C

ctbsd24

Oct 8, 2024
I have no clue, but I have no respect for people who abuse animals. There's a special place in Hell for people like that.

• Aww..
Reactions: wildflowers1996
dust-in-the-wind

dust-in-the-wind

Animal Lover
Aug 24, 2024
Have you seen animals ripping each other's body parts and eating them WHILE the animal is alive?

It's the nature. Saying it's evil is the same as saying the whole nature is bad.

Even if we stop, they will kill each other in the wild in a very brutal and painful way, much worse than humans do.

Existence is sadistic, and we can't change it. We can't impose morality on everyone or convince all humans to follow the same ethical views.
Nature IS evil. I wish I was never part of its creation.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Fall_Apart, TenThousandTrees, wildflowers1996 and 2 others
H

hereornot

May 16, 2024
The nature of animals is very impactful. It has always been the case that we humans have ended up at the top of the pyramid, fighting for it. To survive and feed ourselves.

Today there are ethical issues in raising animals for food production, euthanasia of animals and this responsibility of not causing suffering is increasing.

But there is still a lot of gratuitous cruelty to animals due to the simple badness of people.

And for this we also need policies that combat this evil.

In my opinion..

• Love
Reactions: PhDone, ijustwishtodie, TenThousandTrees and 2 others
ladylazarus4

ladylazarus4

exhausted
May 12, 2024

That is nature. Us raising animals in captivity, their only destiny— slaughter, on a large scale is not nature. We kill millions of animals. Animals do not kill each other like that.

• Love
Reactions: jar-baby, imissmykitten, wildflowers1996 and 2 others
Z-A

Z-A

Let me go
Mar 3, 2024
That is nature. Us raising animals in captivity, their only destiny— slaughter, on a large scale is not nature. We kill millions of animals. Animals do not kill each other like that.
I wish we could convince all the politicians and the people to stop the mass slaughter of animals for the sake of money. I wish we lived in a world where that would be possible, where a thing like empathy would exist.

• Love
Reactions: Fall_Apart, ijustwishtodie, ladylazarus4 and 1 other person
iusedtobehappy

iusedtobehappy

Experienced
Dec 2, 2023
It actually makes me suicidal. Like I don't want to be a part of a world that considers animals as property or abandons them or hurts them in any way. It guts me, especially bc animals are the ONLY ones capable of unconditional love. They are too good for us. ;-;

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: imissmykitten, ijustwishtodie, ladylazarus4 and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022

There can be. I watched a similar documentary with race horses. It was enough to finally motivate me to go vegetarian.
People also say that they are against child labour yet they buy and consume goods made from it. Being vegan isn't going to cause animal abuse to go away. It won't really do anything. Trying to decrease the amount of animal abuse that goes on in places, such as the meat industry, requires actual political action.

Do you think supply and demand might have some impact though? If fewer people eat meat, there will be less demand for it. Initially, more will go to waste but eventually, producers who want to make money may focus their efforts on vegan alternatives.

True, cruelty of any kind is hard to irradicate. There will always be sadists who look for ways they can indulge their passions.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ladylazarus4, wildflowers1996 and Plato'sCaveDweller
wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
I really think if everyone who had the mindset "being vegan won't do anything" went vegan, a HUGE difference would be made

I think nature is horrible yes, but those animals don't have moral agency, don't have a choice.

• Hugs
Reactions: ladylazarus4
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
Do you think supply and demand might have some impact though? If fewer people eat meat, there will be less demand for it. Initially, more will go to waste but eventually, producers who want to make money may focus their efforts on vegan alternatives.

True, cruelty of any kind is hard to irradicate. There will always be sadists who look for ways they can indulge their passions.
Except the issue is that vegan diets aren't very accessible to begin with, let alone appealing to most, so most people wouldn't bother switching to one in the first place. Along with that, this type of individualistic thinking doesn't usually tend to amount to much (as is reflected with other issues, such as climate change).

The cruelties associated with some modern day farming practices don't stem from people being sadists. It stems from wanting to maximize profits. The people employ these methods aren't some dark weirdos who get off on the suffering of animals.

Reactions: mrpeter, ijustwishtodie, Forever Sleep and 2 others
nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Dead already. Just need to dispose of my body now.
Aug 6, 2024
As a fellow vegan, I understand your frustration. Feel free to Dm me if you want to chat about vegan things :)

• Love
Reactions: ijustwishtodie
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Except the issue is that vegan diets aren't very accessible to begin with, let alone appealing to most, so most people wouldn't bother switching to one in the first place. Along with that, this type of individualistic thinking doesn't usually tend to amount to much (as is reflected with other issues, such as climate change).

The cruelties associated with some modern day farming practices don't stem from people being sadists. It stems from wanting to maximize profits. The people employ these methods aren't some dark weirdos who get off on the suffering of animals.

Both fair points but, the one I was trying to argue against was- 'It won't make a difference if one person goes vegan.' Fair- if we knew it was just one person in the world, country, even a small town. But, there are estimated to be 88 million vegans in the world. Include vegetarians and it's 10-15% of the world's population. (Quick Google searches...) That seems like a reasonable amount to make a difference.

Apparently, the average consumption of (entire- presumably) animal per person per year is 9.3 (in the UK as an example.) So- just counting the vegans, that's eight hundred and eighteen million, four hundred thousand animals per year that either were slaughtered and went to waste or, what seems more likely is- a fair amount weren't breed for that to begin with or, left alone to swim in the sea- because they knew the demand for it was starting to wane. Basically, in terms of farming- antinatilism- the animal edition.

Also- 10-15% of the world's population being keen on buying substitutions for animal products means that manufacturers have been busy busy trying to meet that need. And some of them aren't entirely disgusting. (To my view.) Considering how much crap goes into processed meat, I wonder if there will in fact come a time when people can't tell the difference!

I'm not trying to say it's wonderful here. I'm not trying to say it's the solution to all our problems. I even read that true veganism would be incredibly difficult to achieve. Take plant crops that rely on insects. The production of avocados for instance can unintentionally kill bees. Plus, the destruction of natural environments for plant crops is still obviously a problem.

I'm also not saying it would eradicate cruelty or that all abatoirs and the like have cruelty going on. Although, I think most people would be hard pressed to not see at least a bit of cruelty in intensive farming. Nevermind what the motives are- profit or some weird sadism- it's still going on!

Neither am I trying to convince people to go vegetarian or vegan or, trying to shame them for not doing it. I'm pro choice. I don't actually believe choices are sustainable anyway- unless we've made up our minds ourselves. I think most people resent being guilted into a choice.

All I was trying to argue against was that simple statement that going vegan/ vegetarian won't make a difference. I think it probably does. Obviously, the more people that do it, the bigger difference it makes. Whether it causes other ecological problems though- I don't know. How much it actually impacts the meat industry, I also don't know- to be fair. But, logically thought about, it must be doing something I would have thought.

• Informative
Reactions: jar-baby and ladylazarus4
P

PhDone

Student
Jul 29, 2024
I just watched a video of a dog found tied to a railing ahead of the hurricane landing in Florida. I mean wtaf. What type of human does this, tie the poor soul down to its fate? Its bad enough that people keep 'pets' and don't actually see them as a sentient being, but abusing them!! Most people have have full agency, we have a responsibility to consider how we use that with souls we bring into our human lifestyle. Sure nature is full of predator and prey, but animals in human care are controlled and have little ability to act. We go way beyond what is humane to suit our own needs and lifestyles, and we justify their mistreatment. We don't even have the guts to lift up the stones and uncover the truth. It would cause us too much distress 🙄

• Aww..
Reactions: wildflowers1996
Innereye

Innereye

Know thy self
Jan 18, 2020
Been vegan for 7 odd years &, my opinions on the ethical side of things have vacillated greatly

For me meat is just gross/ unappetizing

What you're experiencing is projection of your own self state, humans will always be cruel and self oriented. Including us vegans lol

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Lack of empathy really. Most people only really care about themselves and nothing more. I have to admit that unfortunately, for the most part, I'm one of those people as well. Those who are vegans have a lot of empathy for animals compared to those who aren't and I respect them a lot. Sentience really is a mistake as it's causing so much animal and human suffering

Reactions: ladylazarus4 and sancta-simplicitas
D

dreamfyre

Oct 3, 2024
you vote with your dollar. supply and demand. although yes, large scale change requires broader political action

Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

Crayon eater
May 9, 2024
I live in a food desert and I also live in dorms at school. Vegan options are very limited at the cafeteria where I have a meal plan and I'm not allowed to opt out. There are a decent amount of vegetarian options though. I do eat mostly vegetarian but if there's chicken that looks good then I'm going to eat chicken. If there's beef that looks good then I'm going to eat beef. I'm going to allow myself that type of stuff in moderation because I find that it benefits my mental health. I'm trying to recover from a chronic eating disorder and cutting out entire food groups is also not good for my mental health. If prioritizing my own mental wellbeing over animal rights is selfish then I'll gladly be called selfish. Yes, the meat industry is unethical, but I'm always going to choose my own wellbeing over the wellbeing of animals.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
you vote with your dollar. supply and demand. although yes, large scale change requires broader political action
Easy to say "you vote with your dollar" until you look at how complicated things are (veganism is a very inaccessible diet for a lot of people), along with every other issue that is still running rampant despite people trying to apply this logic.

depthss

depthss

wikihow
Dec 12, 2023

agree, animals, which humans are tbf, are incredibly brutal and cruel.

Praying 4 a Miracle

Praying 4 a Miracle

Student
Sep 22, 2024
In some ways yes, but overall humans are far more cruel to other humans than we are to animals. We generally do not allow any animals to suffer needlessly for any serious length of time, but humans we generally force to suffer for decades until death of natural causes

Reactions: LifeQuitter, PhDone, ishiguro and 1 other person
wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
Easy to say "you vote with your dollar" until you look at how complicated things are (veganism is a very inaccessible diet for a lot of people), along with every other issue that is still running rampant despite people trying to apply this logic.
eating plant based is inaccessible for some people, but I don't understand why those who it isn't inaccessible for can't eat plant based

I heard a quote "no snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible" - if we can convince enough people to take individual action, as a collective we can make a difference.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
eating plant based is inaccessible for some people, but I don't understand why those who it isn't inaccessible for can't eat plant based

I heard a quote "no snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible" - if we can convince enough people to take individual action, as a collective we can make a difference.
It's starting to feel like you made this thread to try and persuade people into going vegan.

wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
It's starting to feel like you made this thread to try and persuade people into going vegan.
the other thread was more so, this was more just of an emotional reaction but idk what's so wrong about trying to persuade people to go vegan, I've said I understand eating 100% plant based isn't possible for everyone, veganism is usually considered to be about doing your best, I understand people here may find it overwhelming bc they're already suffering so much; I don't want to make anyone's suffering worse. It may be for some people going vegan is not actually just a burden though; some people find meaning and purpose through activism

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
the other thread was more so, this was more just of an emotional reaction but idk what's so wrong about trying to persuade people to go vegan, I've said I understand eating 100% plant based isn't possible for everyone, veganism is usually considered to be about doing your best, I understand people here may find it overwhelming bc they're already suffering so much; I don't want to make anyone's suffering worse. It may be for some people going vegan is not actually just a burden though; some people find meaning and purpose through activism
If someone doesn't want to be vegan then you have to accept that. Trying to persuade to go onto that specific diet is kind of wrong.