leftdreaming

leftdreaming

I should’ve been a house cat
Apr 28, 2023
Well that was shitty advice. Ruined my own life by "being myself" and became the worst version of whatever I could've been.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: SexyIncél, ultrasharpy123456, Brokensaddle and 7 others
juxtajuno

juxtajuno

bpd qweenie <3
Jan 25, 2023
"just be yourself" feels like such terrible advice in general. whenever i tried to be myself i was just labelled as the "weird kid" or the "potential school shooter." it's such a pathetic lie. they want to act like they've given you the right and ability to express yourself, but if you do anything out of the norm suddenly you're a weirdo. i empathize with you greatly.

• Hugs
Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt, leftdreaming, LoiteringClouds and 1 other person
blacksand

blacksand

Experienced
May 2, 2023
I've always seen it as a passive agressive subtle push to stay in your lane. Don't think of trying to associate with us popular people just beeee urself so we can shit on you for it.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Aisley, LONE WOLF., leftdreaming and 2 others
kwho

kwho

Student
Apr 29, 2023
I agree that it's really shitty advice for young people. And it's something that mostly gets said to the very young.

I've always felt that people should be held accountable for all the dumb shit they mindlessly say to children and teenagers. Like by sewing their stupid mouths shut. These platitudes ruin at least as many lives as drunk driving.

On the other hand - once you actually know who you are and then act like yourself - people are very drawn to that. At least my experience. Know who you are 1st and then be who you are -that seems to be the trick.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: TapeMachine, SexyIncél, leftdreaming and 2 others
LoiteringClouds

LoiteringClouds

Tempus fugit
Feb 7, 2023
Well that was shitty advice. Ruined my own life by "being myself" and became the worst version of whatever I could've been.
Hello @leftdreaming,
I agree, I've been badly damaged because of my self-expression, too.

Yes, in general, being yourself IRL requires fortitude and is very hard.
But I think in this forum people listen to each other, as we are pro-choice.
There might be few exceptions, but here I think almost everyone is heard.
I believe Sanctioned Suicide is a defender of our voice.

I think you are welcomed when you express yourself but not disclosing your feeling much is also fine.
We are pro-choice 💙💛

Reactions: leftdreaming and kwho
leftdreaming

leftdreaming

I should’ve been a house cat
Apr 28, 2023
I think you are welcomed when you express yourself but not disclosing your feeling much is also fine.
We are pro-choice 💙💛
Thank you. It's somewhat daunting joining a new community like this, especially since I know what it's like to be rejected. I have met a lot of like-minded individuals here, so I feel comfortable enough being myself. Wish it was like this in more places. ❤️

• Love
Reactions: TapeMachine and LoiteringClouds
OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
There is some version of alternative that the society will accept, as long as it doesn't threaten its existence.
That's why most alt-peope are just normal people with different style choices.

'Being yourself' authenticity thing is definitely overrated as we are not the best species. We need to be very careful with what comes out of our brains, what we think and do.

• Love
Reactions: SexyIncél and leftdreaming
H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
being like i am. at least i can tell who the assholes are. which is almost everyone

Reactions: leftdreaming
L

leavingsoon99

I'm at peace... Finally.
Mar 16, 2023
Nah, be yourself. The problem is that (for me), I altered who I was to be accepted. Either way, society likes 'cookie-cutter'. Everyone has to be like everyone. Everyone must fit into a box. If you don't fit into a box, you're an outcast. And this can be with being yourself or selling out and becoming some watered-down version of yourself. The greatest thing a person can do is stay true to themselves. Like someone else said in here, humans are NOT the best species and are in no position to validate anyone nor anything. That's just my two cents.

Reactions: kwho and leftdreaming
Vizzy

Vizzy

DEAD
May 6, 2023
we are not the best species
I disagree, even though I am not a big fan of some things humans do still I would say we are the best among any species in the earth

Just look at the humans development in the history (I know some are really bad) but we came a long way as humans, we have developed things which are helping other species, we have created a entire field for other animals which is veterinary, development in science and technology and we have eliminated or found medicines to protect us from the dangerous diseases

I don't know what else you want more to prove that we are the best!

kwho

kwho

Student
Apr 29, 2023
The greatest thing a person can do is stay true to themselves.
👍

Such an underrated quality!!!

May be because all the energy is being spent on futile attempts at being "faithful" to other people? Or trying to "make them" be faithful to oneself?

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
1. As soon as I learn to be someone else, I'll get right onto that.
2. In order to be anything at all first you have to know who you are. A much better advice would be "Know yourself."
3. Affirmation is not always the best advice. Sometimes, change is better.

Reactions: kwho and leftdreaming