• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

O

ots

Sep 9, 2019
Don't jump into water from 35 meters. That's not lethal enough. The golden gate bridge is about 75 meters high and some people survive even that fall into water.

If you're jumping onto solid ground, 35 meters will probably do it, but make sure to land on your head. Ideally you want something closer to 50 meters for ground and 80 for water.

O

ots

Sep 9, 2019
All good, buddy
Also, just while I'm posting jumping info, I don't see how a waterfall would help. If anything, it would make the jump more survivable. You don't want rapid, choppy waters, you want still, flat water. That way when you hit, it's like hitting cement. No pin drops either. You can destroy your legs and survive the impact. Apparently, whether it's water or ground you want to land head first.

Last edited:
D

ddim

Jul 27, 2019
IMHO, maybe you can survey some other peaceful way before jumping.

O

ots

Sep 9, 2019
In terms of lethality, hard ground. In terms of what people will see when they find you... water would be more pleasant but still quite nasty. I'm not judging people who do ctb by jumping, by if you're the kinda person who takes what people will find into account, jumping is really quite far up the list of nastiness. Your skin will rupture and your innards will spill out. It'll be a family member or friend who has to identify your body.

Edit: typo

K

Kiwi

Aug 29, 2019
In terms of lethality, hard ground. In terms of what people will see when they find you... water would be more pleasant but still quite nasty. I'm not judging people who do ctb by jumping, by if you're the kinda person who takes what people will find into account, jumping is really quite far up the list of nastiness. Your skin will rupture and your innards will spill out. It'll be a family member or friend who has to identify your body.

Edit: typo
True..... didn't think of this... just want the pain to end .....

After The End

After The End

The lily whispers, “I wait.”
Jul 31, 2019
There is honestly no set distance from which a person can fall and have it said they will survive or not survive as there are many variables, but statistically falls from over 30m are around 100% fatal. Of course there are remarkable exceptions of people surviving falls from almost any height. But the idea that a 35 meter free-fall for a person of average weight hitting a solid surface is within some kind of 'danger zone,' and that you need to fall 100 meters or more is honestly kind of laughable if you actually do the math on impact velocities. At 30 meters (forget 35) you will be landing at 87km/h, or 26 meters per second which is considerably above what NASA studies consider a survivable (17m/s) speed when it comes to deceleration tolerances; at 87km/h a person of average weight is going to be dealing with between 1100 and 1400 foot lbs of force at impact, which is more than enough to shatter the strongest bones in the human body, rupture major blood vessels in the body and brain, and basically just put you in a body bag post-haste.

Can you survive hitting solid ground at 87km/h? Yes. People can also survive being shot in the face with a .44 magnum or 16 gauge shotgun, and people can also survive hitting the ground at 160km/h (how fast you'd be going if you free-fell a supposedly 'safe,' 100 meters) but realistically people rarely survive bad car accident at those speeds. Forget free-falling. Usual cause of death in cases where no massive head or spinal injuries are present is blood loss from rupturing major blood vessels like the aorta, brain trauma (since your brain is going to be hitting the inside of your skull at a fair fraction of that speed) or blood loss from massive/complicated fractures.

Both EMTs and tree arborists I've spoken too don't expect people to survive free-falls of over 12 meters. Which makes sense. A 12 meter free-fall puts you in the 17m/s falling speed range. Anything above 9 meters is considered potentially lethal and is the sort of accident where you're going to be bolted to a stretcher and airlifted to the nearest hospital post-haste to have much chance of surviving. But accidental falls are another matter. People do tend to land rather differently in accidental/vs intentional falls. So you would definitely want to have a bigger margin for error if you're jumping vs. falling.

I can't give you details for falling into water. There are so many more variables. I know, for example, people have survived jumping off The Golden Gate and Sydney Harbour Bridge (49 and 67 meters, respectively) but the vast majority do not. When it comes to falling into water how you land is much, much more important, and expert cliff divers can survive some absolutely crazy jumps based on technique. When you hit water at high speed it's the density that is going to kill you. So I can tell you that turbulent or disturbed bodies of water are less dangerous, unless your aim is to drown.

Last edited:
Reactions: again_noidea and Lennox
O

ots

Sep 9, 2019
After The End just killed the thread. That's pretty much everything you'd need to know.

K

Kiwi

Aug 29, 2019
Thanks all for the information. Greatly appreciated.

I guess a river jump at 35 meters is indeed unreliable to say the least.

Such a shame.

Thanks again.

O

ots

Sep 9, 2019
Unfortunately yes. Especially when the results for a failed jump are crippling. Best case scenario you drown; worst case you get rescued in a paralysed state.

Reactions: Kiwi