A

Ah.ow

scared person
Mar 12, 2024
I seek help and I don't find understanding, responsive places.
I wondered if here might have people who could help in direct messages or in this thread?

I wondered if just find a location, gear, and money was all that's needed?

my location might be the hardest part, but also maybe helpful? if I rely on public transport, and am in a city? for nyc

I didn't know if camping was the best option for someone without much resources, unable to sleep/lay on hard ground, needing to avoid light sometimes and to avoid heat waves, and unable to hike/backpack for long? would those needs add heavy gear to carry?

but I need breaks sometimes, and will more if i continue to be around overwhelming people like medical workers, so I wondered if nature overnights can be spontaneous breaks?

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Not familiar with camping but I would say if you can relax in a natural environment that can have a really positive effect on your mental health. Getting rid of everything what stresses you directly (and in the best case indirectly) can help to gain energy again.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I went camping with a bunch of friends once in the summer of 2019. It was pretty uncomfortable sleeping on the ground even with a tent and a sleeping bag. The mosquitos were also really annoying. It didn't matter how much mosquito repellent I sprayed on myself, my O-type blood and type 2 diabetes made it so that those tiny bitches were dead set on getting my blood at any and all costs. The only fun part about the trip was driving to a nearby grocery store to pick up supplies and then sitting around the campfire and talking about random shit but we can technically do all that without having to go camping.

• Hugs
Reactions: ConfusedClouds and Praestat_Mori
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
I love camping but its taken a while of trial and error and gradually building up and adapting my kit collection to reach a point where I can head out with very little. As with a lot of things, you can get some pretty good kit these days, but the better (i.e better quality and lighter weight), the more expensive. And with so many variations, there's a lot of personal preference too.

My favourite parts about camping trips are 1. how over just a few days your body clock adjusts to daylight hours without having fluorescent lighting around you 24/7. Something primitive/resetting about that. And 2. The minimalist side of carrying everything you need to survive on your back and being able to chose which way/how far to go and where to go and it doesn't affect anyone else what you choose - no meeting times/points/places

Kinda annoyingly though I find I almost 'thrive' more in these 'basic survival' type scenarios but given the opportunity to 'thrive' in the real world, I can barely survive. Urgh.

A few terms you can look up that might help your research (though I am UK based so terminology may vary slightly)

Wild camping - camping away from official 'campsites' with facilities such as toilets/road access, classic Leave No Trace camping. There are folk with youtube channels I believe who do wild camping near cities/urban areas. Though my first few attempts at wild camping near people ended with a lot of hypervigilance at every sound and not much rest/sleep at all.

Leave No Trace - an approach to camping where you do things in certain ways to not impact the environment. Much bigger in the US than UK

Bivvy/Bivvying/Bivvy bag - camping without a tent - a bivvy bag is a sort of waterproof cover for your sleeping bag to sleep outdoors. Much lighter weight but also much more exposed to the elements/no privacy (e.g can't get dressed/changed in the tent)

Bothy/Hut - this one varies a lot country to country but is essentially a very basic building in the middle of nowhere where you can stay indoors but usually in a shared/communal/dorm setting. First come/first served. Depending on country they can vary from just being unlocked for you to walk to and noone knows to places needing a national membership to huts with full time guardians where you have to pay to stay and can buy food cooked for you. In terms of sleeping, most bothys/huts just have wooden platforms or floors so you need your own mat/sleeping bag etc. These tend to be more in rural areas/National Parks and away from 'civilised' areas and often have long walks in.